Pics: New Exhaust Centre Section W/ X-pipe

sc_toy

Hey All,

Just got the centre section of my exhaust replaced (picking up car today). I deleted the first Y, the 3rd cat, the second Y, and the resonators.

The new piece goes from the stock front cats, through 2.5" mandrel bent stainless steel, into an x-pipe, then back out through 2.5" SS to the stock mufflers. Obviously from the back end it looks factory, but the exhaust note is now much more alive. I have only started it, revved it, and drove it into the shop. Will report back later after I pick it up and take it for a good drive.

Enjoy the pics...

IM000051s.jpg

IM000052s.jpg

IM000053s.jpg

Aaron

Hey All,

Just got the centre section of my exhaust replaced (picking up car today). I deleted the first Y, the 3rd cat, the second Y, and the resonators.

The new piece goes from the stock front cats, through 2.5" mandrel bent stainless steel, into an x-pipe, then back out through 2.5" SS to the stock mufflers. Obviously from the back end it looks factory, but the exhaust note is now much more alive. I have only started it, revved it, and drove it into the shop. Will report back later after I pick it up and take it for a good drive.

Enjoy the pics...

IM000051s.jpg

IM000052s.jpg

IM000053s.jpg

Aaron

Nice Job !!! I like the setup. What engine mods have you done?

Hey all,

It's a place called Zorro Muffler. It's a chain in Southern Ontario as far as I know. Damn I specifically said I wanted mandrel bends. I paid almost $800 CDN for that I figured they would have done it right.

Anyway, the X-pipe was of course prefab'd. Just a standard 2.5" x-pipe.

Took the car for a good drive up to the cottage and back (800 km round trip). With the windows up you only notice a slight rasp around 2200 rpm, but with the windows down it's much louder. I was worried it was too loud at first but several of my buddies running behind me said it was just right....

It's hard to say about the power, my seat of the pants dyno says I can feel a slight difference, but I think I gained 0 hp +- 10 hp..... :)

I've got baseline 1/4 mile times so I'll go back to the track and see, unfortunately I've also got new rear tires so it'll be a hard comparison. At the very least I can look at the top speed and work out HP gain (approx.) from that.

Cheers,

Aaron

Hey,

Actually it was Zorro in Hamilton (Stoney Creek), but I think the one on Dundas did my buddies Celica. The more I drive the car the better it feels, not sure if maybe the ECU is having to relearn a little or not!?!

I've got to go to the track next Wednesday and see if my SOTP Dyno is wrong or not. :)

Cheers,

Aaron

Hey,

Actually it was Zorro in Hamilton (Stoney Creek), but I think the one on Dundas did my buddies Celica. The more I drive the car the better it feels, not sure if maybe the ECU is having to relearn a little or not!?!

I've got to go to the track next Wednesday and see if my SOTP Dyno is wrong or not. :)

Cheers,

Aaron

Reset the ECU, Disconnect the neg. battery cable for a couple of minutes reconnect and you will feel the difference.

Yeah,

Last year at the track, I reset the ecu a couple times (just by pulling the fuse), and it would run 16+ seconds at first, then high 15s, mid 15's and low 15's each subsequent run. Resetting the ECU would bump it back into the 16's again.

That said, I'll probably reset it when I get there, run 4-5 runs, reset it, and run 4-5 more and see where I'm at. I'd really like to get into the 14's...

Aaron

Hey SK,

I'll try to make it out on Wednesday... it's a different sound than I expected, but I like it. I was planning on going to Cayuga this wednesday but I can leave that until friday night, I'm not in the mood to pull my stereo and passenger seat out this early in the week anyway. :)

Hey Don Juan, look up exhausts in the phone book, and look for places that'll custom bend pieces, and can give you a good warranty.

Cheers,

Aaron

• 2 months later...

Nice exhaust section looks like 3" pipes throughout. You should think about changing out those stock headers to maybe a set of S&S Headers. The stock manifold is probably the most restrictive part of the exhaust system. Straight thru mufflers aren't a bad choice either to compliment those nice exhaust pipes. Nice!!!!