Octane Level For 1996 Gs300

Make that a 1994 (woops)

I am used to filling my 91 Civic with regular. I did the same the other night with the Lexus. Will it matter? I saw on the dash: "PREMIUM FUEL ONLY" (or similar)

What should I use? What do you use?:whistles:

PS-I didn't mean to start WW4 by asking about octane. I honestly don't know.

I still put 93 in my 96..lol. Prices are goin up though, I paid 3.03 for premium and that was luck...all the other stations around here are showin over 3.15...so I mite start putting the 89 octane.

The car likes the 93, and after what almost 12 years of it getting nothing but premium I'm scared it may cause engine knock. I'm gonna pay for the 93 as long as I can, but if u want to put less than the premium, I dont really see a problem other than the engine knock, but I'm not even sure if thats true, it could all just be a myth...

Use premium...it is better for the engine, in general...you bought a Lexus and if you want to take care of it, spend the extra $3-$4 per tank....if you really think about it, it is a no-brainer....it costs on average $.20 more per gallon and you fill up w/ 15 - 17 gallons you are only talking about $3.00 - $3.40 more per tank.

Also, the more expensive gas becomes the cheaper the premium becomes as a percentage of the regular. In short, you really aren't saving that much $$$ by putting in the regular gas.

Make that a 1994 (woops)

I am used to filling my 91 Civic with regular.  I did the same the other night with the Lexus.  Will it matter?  I saw on the dash: "PREMIUM FUEL ONLY" (or similar)

What should I use? What do you use?:whistles:

PS-I didn't mean to start WW4 by asking about octane. I honestly don't know.

---

There is a reason the higher octane rating is called for: higher compression. If your fuel's octane level/rating is lower, you *will* experience what is called "detonation", which is definitely bad--and terrible if it's an older engine like yours.

Before you skimp on the octane to save a few bucks, first read the fourth paragraph of THIS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detonation

And if you want more detailed information, read all of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking

Bottom line: it's worth it to buy the good stuff. You upgraded from a Honda to a Lexus; you need to upgrade what you feed it as well (congrats, btw).

Regards,

Matt

• 3 weeks later...
I still put 93 in my 96..lol. Prices are goin up though, I paid 3.03 for premium and that was luck...all the other stations around here are showin over 3.15...so I mite start putting the 89 octane.

The car likes the 93, and after what almost 12 years of it getting nothing but premium I'm scared it may cause engine knock. I'm gonna pay for the 93 as long as I can, but if u want to put less than the premium, I dont really see a problem other than the engine knock, but I'm not even sure if thats true, it could all just be a myth...

I do agree 93 is better, however every car manufactured has to be able to run on 89 octane. You may lose power and mileage. Our cars have a knock sensor so you shouldn't experience detonation. I'd add a can of fuel injector cleaner every other tank or so, although it may be the same as buying premium after that. As long as you use good quality gas knock shouldn't be a problem.

• 10 months later...
I do agree 93 is better, however every car manufactured has to be able to run on 89 octane.

Not so.........Some high performance, high compression engines require at least 91 octane.