Query Related To Struts

Hi Guys,

I was able to fix the issue with high RPM last week. Toysrme helped a lot for that issue.

Now one last annoying issue I have is with suspension.

I am getting very bumpy and harsh ride with 98 ES300 with premium package.

I tried playing around with the switch close to gear shifter to adjust them for comfort vs sport and I don't see any improvements.

I took the car to sears and one more shop to get struts checked out and they said struts are fine. Sears guy said that this car has electronic adjustment/calibration for struts so take it to dealer and they should be able to tune those for you.

Before going to any stealers for being ripped off I want to run this issue by our forum members to see if they have anything to say here. Is there somthing like tuning suspension (electronically)? If yes then what is the price you have paid or heard for that?

If you have the button I believe that means that you have the air ride suspension that is controlled electronically. There are only 2 settings on your car, and I don't think that they can be adjusted either way other than sport and comfort. If your electronic controller went out then you could be having some ride quality issues. Do you notice any difference at all between settings?

Is the ride really harsh and bumps throw you out of the seat? Does it seem to be the front, rear or both? Does the car look like it is sitting lower? Some of questions these may help in the diagnosis.

If you need new struts that could be $$$ on the air ride car. I was looking at @ $1000 per wheel P&L on my Subaru when the air ride went out on it (I had the air ride replaced with regular struts). If you know a reliable mechanic then get him to look at it. Chances are that a strut/shock place will want to take you for the whole set and Lexus may also do the same depending on the local dealer. If its the control system then you may be better off financially. Regardless problems w/ suspension can be serious so don't delay getting it checked out.

If you have the button I believe that means that you have the air ride suspension that is controlled electronically.  There are only 2 settings on your car, and I don't think that they can be adjusted either way other than sport and comfort.  If your electronic controller went out then you could be having some ride quality issues.  Do you notice any difference at all between settings?

Is the ride really harsh and bumps throw you out of the seat?  Does it seem to be the front, rear or both?  Does the car look like it is sitting lower?  Some of questions these may help in the diagnosis.

If you need new struts that could be $$$ on the air ride car.  I was looking at @ $1000 per wheel P&L on my Subaru when the air ride went out on it (I had the air ride replaced with regular struts).  If you know a reliable mechanic then get him to look at it.  Chances are that a strut/shock place will want to take you for the whole set and Lexus may also do the same depending on the local dealer.  If its the control system then you may be better off financially.  Regardless problems w/ suspension can be serious so don't delay getting it checked out.

No difference is noted when adjusting between comfort vs. sport.

Ride is harsh and bumpy and mostly for the rear side. I don't see the car sitting lower but again I have bought it like this so I will have to compare it with other ES300 with air ride.

Two shops. Sears and one independent, said that struts are bouncing OK and not leaking.

One thing I have noticed which is if I press the car down from trunk (left or right corner) and then release, it takes a split second before it bounces back once. It just bounce once.

One thing I have noticed which is if I press the car down from trunk (left or right corner) and then release, it takes a split second before it bounces back once. It just bounce once.

The delay in reacting is probably the reason why the car rides so harshly. The fact that it's the same on both sides leads me to believe that there is something wrong with the electronic controls that adjust the dampening of the struts. I think your best bet is to take it to a Lexus dealer and have them check it out.