Battery Drain Problem

BenJ

We bought our rx330 beginning of July. After 3 weeks, the battery went dead, couldn't start the car. Car was still in the parking lot, so we had it jumped started , and brought it to dealer for testing. After an hour or so , dealer said it was a battery problem, and replaced the original battery with a new one. Today, after 4 weeks, the battery went dead again, this time, inside our garage. Couldn't start it this morning. Gonna have it checked at the dealer once more. Definitely something is draining the battery , even with engine, lights , etc. off. Any one has similar problems or clues ? Is 2 times problem enough to get it replaced under

the California lemon law ?

- Ben

Most states' lemon laws require at least three or four repair attempts for the same problem before the customer has a case, but check with your Attorney General's office for the exact details. They probably have a Consumer Affairs toll-free number that links to a department in Sacramento.

When your vehicle gets back to the dealer, insist that the alternator is thoroughly checked out before settling for just another new battery. Your alternator may not be delivering sufficient charge to keep the battery up to specs. Have you noticed your voltmeter gauge on your dashboard? What has it been reading under your normal driving conditions? Most vehicles read between 12 and 14 volts when they are in operation.

You could also have loose cables or corroded connections, although corrosion probably isn't your problem if the vehicle is new. Have your alternator and your cables checked as a next step. Good luck and let us know how this turns out.

Well, car is in the shop now. From what I read in the lexus manuals, California requires 4 repairs at least before declaring it a lemon, correct me if I'm mistaken.

By the way, my rx330h doesn't have a voltmeter gauge, would be nice if it had. Mechanic who jump started the car prior to driving in to shop says battery got only 7 volts left. Since it's been driven everyday, should be around 12+ volts the night before, like you said.

Most states' lemon laws require at least three or four repair attempts for the same problem before the customer has a case, but check with your Attorney General's office for the exact details.  They probably have a Consumer Affairs toll-free number that links to a department in Sacramento.

When your vehicle gets back to the dealer, insist that the alternator is thoroughly checked out before settling for just another new battery.  Your alternator may not be delivering sufficient charge to keep the battery up to specs.  Have you noticed your voltmeter gauge on your dashboard?  What has it been reading under your normal driving conditions?  Most vehicles read between 12 and 14 volts when they are in operation.

You could also have loose cables or corroded connections, although corrosion probably isn't your problem if the vehicle is new.  Have your alternator and your cables checked as a next step.  Good luck and let us know how this turns out.

Got my RX back today, guess what ... they only replaced the battery! person I talked

to said everything checked out ok, alternator, alarm, etc ... I asked for the mechanic, but they won't let me see the guy, some lame excuse like he's gone for the day.... gotta have it

replaced if this happens again.

I only have the RX330h. So far no problems with the battery , yet.

"We bought our rx330 beginning of July" and later "By the way, my rx330h doesn't have a voltmeter gauge"

im confused, do u drive an rx330, or an Rx400H. lol. If its a hybrid, try the hybrid forum instead of this one.  :D

I only have the RX330h.  So far no problems with the battery , yet.
"We bought our rx330 beginning of July" and later "By the way, my rx330h doesn't have a voltmeter gauge"

im confused, do u drive an rx330, or an Rx400H. lol. If its a hybrid, try the hybrid forum instead of this one.  :D

lol, that doesnt really answer my question. i dont think rx330Hs are made...only regular rx330 or rx400H :D

You should have a little battery symbol(in red) that comes on if you are having battery charging problems?

So let us know in 4 weeks if the battery held up or not?

If that little Jack-aZZ service guy told me I couldnt talk to the mechanic--he would have a rude awakening standing in front of his boss after I was done, people PI$$ me off when they act like that

oh... ho.. I see why you ask.. I should have typed Rx330 , without the "h" (hybrid). ;)

by the way, I see another online lexus forum called ClubLexus forum, seems like its

a bit more popular over there....

I only have the RX330h.  So far no problems with the battery , yet.

lol, that doesnt really answer my question. i dont think rx330Hs are made...only regular rx330 or rx400H :D

Part of Lexus original idea is to let the customer always know what is being done with there car.

BTW do you leave the lights in auto when leaving the car?

Do the lights turn off when you walk away?

DO you always double lock them to make sure the lights turn off?

How long does the car sit before it is dead?

WHen you say dead battery does it have no power to run anythign or just not enough to start the engine?

Does the starter even turn over?

Need alot more detail when asking for help if you want a proper answer.

Part of Lexus original idea is to let the customer always know what is being done with there car.

sure the acct. manager tells me what is being done, but I'd like to know more from the mechanic, things like how many amps battery is sucking when car is driven.

BTW do you leave the lights in auto when leaving the car?

yes,  suppose to go off in 15 sec.

Do the lights turn off when you walk away?

it did one time I checked. But I don't have time to wait 15 sec every time I park the car.

DO you always double lock them to make sure the lights turn off?

it's on auto.

How long does the car sit before it is dead?

overnight, that would be 8+ hours.

WHen you say dead battery does it have no power to run anythign or just not enough to start the engine?

no power to run anything.

Does the starter even turn over?

sure did. turned it over several times.

Need alot more detail when asking for help if you want a proper answer.

more details ... just ask!

• 2 weeks later...
We bought our rx330  beginning of July.  After 3 weeks,  the battery went dead, couldn't start the car. Car was still in the parking lot, so we had it jumped started , and brought it to dealer for testing. After an hour or so , dealer said it was a battery problem, and replaced the original battery with a new one.  Today, after 4 weeks,  the battery went dead again, this time, inside our garage. Couldn't start it this morning.  Gonna have  it checked at the dealer once more.  Definitely something is draining the battery , even with engine, lights , etc. off.  Any one has similar problems  or clues ?  Is 2 times problem enough to get it replaced under

the California lemon law ? 

- Ben

We have exactly the same problem with our 2001 RX, i also bought a new battery from the local lexus dealer,within days it was stone dead, it takes days to recharge it and the dealer says that the battery has no faults.From fully charged it takes around 4 days to totaly discharge if we dont use the car and its parked.

I daren`t book it into the lexus dealer in case they find some hugely expensive fault :cries: , i know this is a shot in the dark , but anyone else come across this and found a cure? If not i fear i will have to dig deep into my pocket at the lexus dealer. Am seriously thinking of trading it in.Its only done 35000 miles, we dont use the auto off function for the lights and it has no modifications.helpppppppp lol

• 3 weeks later...

Just read the enlightening post by diryrx300 on 9/29. Seems to be a parasitic current is

causing the problem, probably due to A/C as suggested.

We have exactly the same problem with our 2001 RX, i also bought a new battery  from the local lexus dealer,within days it was stone dead, it takes days to recharge it and the dealer says that the battery has no faults.From fully charged it takes around 4 days to totaly discharge if we dont use the car and its parked.

I daren`t book it into the lexus dealer in case they find some hugely expensive fault :cries: , i know this is a shot in the dark , but anyone else come across this and found a cure? If not i fear i will have to dig deep into my pocket at the lexus dealer. Am seriously thinking of trading it in.Its only done 35000 miles, we dont use the auto off function for the lights and it has no modifications.helpppppppp lol

Just read the enlightening post by diryrx300 on 9/29. Seems to be a parasitic current is

We have exactly the same problem with our 2001 RX, i also bought a new battery  from the local lexus dealer,within days it was stone dead, it takes days to recharge it and the dealer says that the battery has no faults.From fully charged it takes around 4 days to totaly discharge if we dont use the car and its parked.

Oh well its in the alternative lexus repair shop now,they`ve found a 7amp discharge somewhere, its been in for 5 days so far, the mechanic looks for the fault when he has time spare. When he pulls the fuse? marked DCC the discharge stops but hardl`y anything works, he`s had most of the interior stuff apart. Just can`t find it. tommorow he`s starting under the hood, what a bummer, god knows what this will cost. These guys are not fools they`ve worked on lexus from day one, previously toyotas.

He thinks it maybe something to do with the loom, in 30 years of jap cars i`ve never had an electrical fault, and i`m non too pleased. i`ll update if he finds it , lol

Have you tried turning off your dome light from "door" to "off".

You should have tried turngint the lights off of auto and waited to make sure it always turns off the lights when you leave as i am sure it takes more than 15 seconds to get the car serviced.

Oh No! I think I may have this problem. After a week of noticing electical components acting up, battery died yesterday morning. Used jumper cables to get it started and drove it in to the dealer (30 miles away). The battery should have charged by then. At the dealer, the tech turned the ignition on to check the mileage. All the lights (including headlights) were on for about 30 sec. I asked him to try and start the car, he did and it only made a clicking sound (didn't start).

It seems to me as though it might be the alternator (who knows). Is that usually covered under the warranty?

• 1 month later...

Oh well its in the alternative lexus repair shop now,they`ve found a 7amp discharge somewhere, its been in for 5 days so far, the mechanic looks for the fault when he has time spare. When he pulls the fuse? marked DCC the discharge stops but hardl`y anything works, he`s had most of the interior stuff apart. Just can`t find it. tommorow he`s starting under the hood, what a bummer, god knows what this will cost. These guys are not fools they`ve worked on lexus from day one, previously toyotas.

He thinks it maybe something to do with the loom, in 30 years of jap cars i`ve never had an electrical fault, and i`m non too pleased. i`ll update if he finds it , lol

Got the car back after nearly 8 weeks, i didn`t hassle em , lol. Turns out it`s an ECU playing up, it doesn`t go to sleep when the ignition is turned off. Apparently they have a few and they all read each other and these multiplex looms tend to be an ars---e to work on. These ECU`s come out around £700 each and i didn`t feel like paying out for a new one as we shall trade the car in soon. So its back to the 10mm spanner every night to take the battery lead off. The main dealer can spend his money on it, lol. Thanks guy`s for a great site.

• 3 months later...

post-20747-1142369091_thumb.jpg

Get a trickle charge for overnight parking if possible.

Or see if you can get an ecu from TAp in california.

Last month we traded the RX in for a GS430 sport, what a difference, we were pleased with the RX at first but somehow it didn`t have the Lexus feel to it, the electrical problem was the icing on the cake.

I know were talking about 2 different vehicals here but this GS feels like a Lexus, it reminds me of Dads first LS 400 way back in `93.

Sorry guy`s but it would take a lot to get me in another RX, unless we needed the 4 wheel drive.

P.S. I reckon the fuel consumptions about the same, if not a tad better.

post-20747-1142369091_thumb.jpg

Get a trickle charge for overnight parking if possible.

Or see if you can get an ecu from TAp in california.

Last month we traded the RX in for a GS430 sport, what a difference, we were pleased with the RX at first but somehow it didn`t have the Lexus feel to it, the electrical problem was the icing on the cake.

I know were talking about 2 different vehicals here but this GS feels like a Lexus, it reminds me of Dads first LS 400 way back in `93.

Sorry guy`s but it would take a lot to get me in another RX, unless we needed the 4 wheel drive.

P.S. I reckon the fuel consumptions about the same, if not a tad better.

I reckon you associate the Lexus brand with sportiness, if so I agree the GS would 'feel' more like a Lexus than the RX. If, however, you associate the Lexus brand with comfort, then would you come to the same conclusion?

• 13 years later...

One owner, one dealer in Beaverton Oregon. 

2000 RX 300, 2000, 130K miles.  About 2 (2018)years ago the battery drain problem started gradually.  Sits In garage for 2 days and will not start.  AAA called several times. Of course battery replaced.  Alternator OK

Dealer has NO knowledge of what could be problem.  All my symptoms are same as stated in preceding complaints.

Love the car for all 20 years!     Unacceptable response by dealer.  Says, drive it more!!!

Took it to another shop this week and they can't identify the problem or fix it!

Help

Barbara

• 10 months later...

I noticed a reply from a guy who seems to know what he's talking about.  My 2003 LS400 has the same problem.  If I don't drive it for a couple of weeks, the battery is dead.  It's not a bad battery, I replaced the battery.  There is something deraining the battery while the car is turned off.  The guy who seems to know what he is talking about recommends removing the positive connection from the battery and using an ammeter (measures current) to complete the curcuit.  Then you remove one fuse at a time to see the ammeter's reaction to the removal.  The point here is, with the fuse removed, there won't be any current flow.  Before you remove any fuses, there should be a slow drain on the battery and that will show up on your ammeter.  It won't be very big, so you have to measure carefully.  When you remove the fuse from the circuit that is draining your battery, your ammeter will show no current flow.  Hopefully the circuit is to some unneccesary "extra" (think clock), you can just leave the fuse out, do without a clock and your fine luxury automobile, will start everytime you start it regardless of how long it sits idle.  The frustrating part is, Lexus knows exactly what the problem is and they won't share it with the Lexus owner.  Used  car salesmen are not the only ones who cannot be trusted.