92 My Sc400 Burned Down At The Mall

slo19

Hello Everyone,

I hope you guys never experience what I did yesterday. A buddy of mine and I went to the mall yesterday, we may have been in the mall for a total of 15 minutes when we decided to go to another mall. As we walked out the mall we could see smoke coming from the parking lot and people were gathering around to see what was going on. Well, it was my car that was smoking there were flames coming out from under the hood, tires melted, front bumber melted......... The fire department came pretty fast and put out my car, but everything under the hood is burnt as well as the headlights and front bumber.

Now couple of questions:

1. Does anyone know where I could get a whole front clip(wiring harness, suspension, engine)?

2. Any clue on the cost of buying the parts and having this work done?

3. Should I just take a loss and try to sell some of the parts that are good (taillights, doors, rear wheels and tires, sunroof, trunk lid, other interior stuff)?

The car is a 92 SC400, that only had 102K on it, everything from the fenders back is perfectly fine, the body and paint are perfect, no dings at all. This would be perfect for some who had a good front, but whose car got smashed in the back.

The fire marshall said that the fire could have been caused by old wiring.

Ideally I would want to fix my car, but if it's going to cost some ridiculous amount of money I'd rather move on to something else.

Thanks in advance for your reponses,

Slo

Damn, that sucks... I'm sure you can fix it but cheap, it won't be.

If you decide to scrap it, I am in the market for a driver's side door and the wood interior trim that runs across the dash. You can send me pics of the items and what you want for 'em at rizinglion@yahoo.com.

Good luck.

Man, that's scary. Especially considering that I've got a '93 SC4. I really feel for you, man.

But i've never heard of this happening to anyone else. You didn't recently have some aftermarket alarm or fog lamps, or anything else that may have been improperly installed to cause the fire, did you?

Man, that's scary.  Especially considering that I've got a '93 SC4.  I really feel for you, man.

But i've never heard of this happening to anyone else.  You didn't recently have some aftermarket alarm or fog lamps, or anything else that may have been improperly installed to cause the fire, did you?

Hello,

Nope, nothing was aftermarket on the car. I didn't have any problems out of the car until the other day.

I certainly hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. If the insurance company totals it and you buy it back, I could use the center ac vents with the surrounding black plastic. Depending on the interior color (tan and dark brown is mine) I could use the 3rd brake light w/cover, arm rest, pistol shifter, and several other parts. Send me an e-mail at joelbbvette@hotmail.com and let me know.

Joel

I hope you guys never experience what I did yesterday. A buddy of mine and I went to the mall yesterday, we may have been in the mall for a total of 15 minutes when we decided to go to another mall.  As we walked out the mall we could see smoke coming from the parking lot and people were gathering around to see what was going on. Well, it was my car that was smoking there were flames coming out from under the hood, tires melted, front bumber melted......... The fire department came pretty fast and put out my car, but everything under the hood is burnt as well as the headlights and front bumber.

Now couple of questions:

1. Does anyone know where I could get a whole front clip(wiring harness, suspension, engine)?

2. Any clue on the cost of buying the parts and having this work done?

3. Should I just take a loss and try to sell some of the parts that are good (taillights, doors, rear wheels and tires, sunroof, trunk lid, other interior stuff)?

The car is a 92 SC400, that only had 102K on it, everything from the fenders back is perfectly fine, the body and paint are perfect, no dings at all. This would be perfect for some who had a good front, but whose car got smashed in the back.

Ideally I would want to fix my car, but if it's going to cost some ridiculous amount of money I'd rather move on to something else.

Thanks in advance for your reponses,

Slo

Nope. Lexus wiring isn't like German wiring (thank god). Something in the fuel system was leaking (an injector, etc...) something like that.

Well,

It looks like I'm going to be buying a GS400 later on today, but I think I may hold on to the SC and fix it over time.

The parts I know I would need would be a hood, bumber, headlights and then all the electrical parts under the hood, it would be a good amount of work, but if I can get everything I need at a reasonable price it may be worth pursuing, simply because the interior and the rest of the car from the fenders back are immaculate.

If anyone has any suggestions on salvage yards that have a lot of SC's or knows of a SC400 that is destroyed in the rear, please let me know.

Thanks for all of the replies and input,

Slo

You know, over the years, I've seen several unwrecked, but burned-up SC400's on the website for TAP recycling in CA. Kind of thought it was strange because I had ever heard of a problem like this. Uhhmm.. I wonder. This sucks. Something is causing this and I wish I knew what.

• 2 weeks later...
You know, over the years, I've seen several unwrecked, but burned-up SC400's on the website for TAP recycling in CA.  Kind of thought it was strange because I had ever heard of a problem like this.  Uhhmm.. I wonder.  This sucks.  Something is causing this and I wish I knew what.

i have every part that u need a sc 400

You know, over the years, I've seen several unwrecked, but burned-up SC400's on the website for TAP recycling in CA.  Kind of thought it was strange because I had ever heard of a problem like this.  Uhhmm.. I wonder.  This sucks.  Something is causing this and I wish I knew what.

kwsp-i need a front bumper and a passenger fender.have any? thanks

• 2 weeks later...

kwsp,

What do you mean? Are you saying you have a SC400 parts car or individual parts?

Let me know,

Slo

kwsp-i need a front bumper and a passenger fender.have any? thanks

YES I HAVE THE BUMPER AND FENDER

i can use these parts but need to know what you want for them.contact info? email? thanks.

which parts r u trying tobuy i have them u call me at 2159892017 or e mail at bats071@yahoo.com what ever part u need i have my name is kenneth walker