Mass Air Flow Meter Maf Assembly

lexus082

I recently purchased a used MAF meter assembly and when I received it the part number did not match. The assembly itself is relatively the same in appearance. It works but I am afraid that I have lost a little bit of power/engine performance. The engine now is not as "perky" in acceleration as it used to be. I believe the MAF sensor is a JDM part b/c the part number does not exist in the USDM toyota/lexus database. Any thoughts, if I would have known the guy was going to send me a JDM part I would of bought it from somewhere else to avoid taking any chances of it not being the same exact part. Not too familiar with the MAF sensor meter and if it is manufactured to different specs than a USDM MAF assembly. Car just isnt and peppy as it was before, just a little on the sluggish side. Nothing else was wrong and all I did was replace the bad MAF meter box with this "JDM" Soarer maf meter assembly. Even if you dont know, I'd very much appreciate any guesses. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Could this be due to the MAF meter assembly actually being a little bit smaller not allowing as much air in as there should be?

Did you reset the ECU ? Disconnect the neg. battery cable for 20 min. see if that helps.

Agreed ,did you reset the ecu and did you clean it before installing it?

Yes, I did reset the ecu, If I cleaned my old non-working unit, but this unit I just wanted to check to make sure it was in good working order. Is there any diffference in cleaning, I believe you mentioned to use throttle body cleaner to clean the MAF but while I was at the local 24hr walmart picking it up late at night they didnt have throttle body cleaner they just had carb cleaner could that be used ok in place of the throttle body cleaner. If not I'll be sure to stick with what you said first. To reset the ecu don't you pull the EFI fuse also or do you just have to disconnect the battery for a little while? Thanks

Could this be due to the MAF meter assembly actually being a little bit smaller not allowing as much air in as there should be?

Did you reset the ECU ? Disconnect the neg. battery cable for 20 min. see if that helps.

Should I pull the EFI fuse to reset the ecu or just disconnect the battery. I remember someone mentioning to pull the EFI fuse to reset it. Thanks

You can pull the efi fuse but i prefer the battery cable for 1 minute instead as it resets all systems equally.

I pulled off the battery cable and left it sit for five minutes and the rough, unsmooth shift from 1st to 2nd disappeared rather instantly. Thanks for the information guys.

• 2 weeks later...
You can pull the efi fuse but i prefer the battery cable for 1 minute instead as it resets all systems equally.

I pulled off the battery cable and left it sit for five minutes and the rough, unsmooth shift from 1st to 2nd disappeared rather instantly. Thanks for the information guys.

I also decided to look at the actual assembly that the sensor gets mounted to and there was a big difference in the two. The one that originally came with the car was much bigger inside allowing more air to get through the MAF assembly. The one I purchased off of ebay looked almost similar in size/shape on the outside but inside there was a lot less room for air to get through. Thats what was hurting my performane. Car is back to normal and alot quicker now with more air flow to the engine. For those who are wondering I just swapped sensors from one to the other to keep the original air flow meter box assembly.