Timing Belt - How To?

VincyRay

I remember a few months back I found two or three how-to articles on changing the timing belt, but didn't need one then. Now I've been looking for the past two days and haven't been able to find ANYTHING helpful!!!

I called myself tuning up my '93 SC400. I changed the plugs, wires both distributer caps and roter buttons - and when I was putting the cover back on to finish everything up, I dropped a bolt in the timing belt. It ripped a hole in the belt and knocked off the timing. :chairshot:

It's parked until I fix it and I hope I didn't do any other damage - it might have ran for 10 minutes or so before I saw the tear in the timing belt and realized thats what happened to the bolt that I couldn't find. :chairshot:

Does anybody know what else I should check before I put it back on the road.

Please post the how-to for that as well as any other how-to links; as I am trying to piece together a service manual for this car.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Alot James!!!

I was able to make it happen in one afternoon - I thought it was going to be one of those things I started on Saturday morning and didn't finish until Sunday night!

I would like to emphazize the importance of noting which marks to use - I had to take mine apart and put it back together b/c I thought that when the instructions said mark they meant the tab that sticks out - not the hard to find groove in the camshaft pullies.

:cheers: Thanks Again!!! If you're ever in town the drinks are on me!!! :cheers:

Follow the instruction.

Thanks Alot James!!!

I was able to make it happen in one afternoon - I thought it was going to be one of those things I started on Saturday morning and didn't finish until Sunday night!

I would like to emphazize the importance of noting which marks to use - I had to take mine apart and put it back together b/c I thought that when the instructions said mark they meant the tab that sticks out - not the hard to find groove in the camshaft pullies.

:cheers: Thanks Again!!!  If you're ever in town the drinks are on me!!! :cheers: