Timing Belt Change At 6 Years?

Help, I need to poll some of you experts. I just brought my 1998 SC400 into the Lexus dealer for some warranty work. I bought a 5 year 50k warranty when I purchased the car two years ago. So here's the story.

The service consultant strongly suggested to me that I change the timing belt and the water pump on my car because the car is over 6 years old. I have 62,000 miles on it. I've had all of my services done at Lexus and I treat the car with great care. The consultant told me that Lexus would not cover any damage caused by the timing belt breaking since the 6 year mark has passed. He claims that the belt has been compromised because it is old. I asked him if he would recommend the same thing if I had 1000 miles on the car. He said, "Yes," the particles in the air corrode the rubber.

The consultant told me the cost for the change would be about $1300. He added that if the timing belt breaks it would do about $5000 worth of damage.

I'm not going to change the belt now but... what do you all thnk of this?

Thanks,

Art in Seattle

I think he's trying to make money off of you..but...if it "does break" then it will cause that amount of damage since u have an interference egine--meaning once the timing belt breaks, all hell breaks loose. I wouldn't change it until 90K miles. I doubt the air truly will kill it.