Brake Pads

choiboyogg

i am going to need some new brake pads shortly.

what are you guys using or recommend?

oem or aftermarket?

also, how many of you guys are using some other brake system from the factory LS brake system?

also, i havent checked yet, but is the LS a 4 disc brake?

i have a 1996

do a search under my name, you'll see a thread about this exact same question from a few weeks ago.

oem or aftermarket?

also, how many of you guys are using some other brake system from the factory LS brake system?

i have a 1996

I used NAPA Ceramix Pads: Front, CMX7544

Rear, CMX7491 on my '99 LS. No complaints, no regrets. :D

oem or aftermarket?

i have a 1996

Another Tampa Bay member :cheers:

oem or aftermarket?

i have a 1996

I've recently been Transfered here from Tennessee. Thanks for making me feel welcome! :cheers:

Let me give my two cents worth on this. You can play it safe and stick with OEM which I myself might end up doing next week. Or you can go aftermarket with the CMX ceramics that gojo went with which I believe are made for NAPA by either Sumitomo or Akebono. Those are excellent pads which are either equal to or better then OEM. Not all pads are the same and just because they are ceramic does not make them equal. The industry standard for brake performance is now set by a brake coefficient measure (how well the brake grabs or stops you). There are two letters, the first notes the cold "braking" ability and the second the hot. This document is provided by the Society of Automotive Engineers with doc number SAE J866. Basically, to keep from writing to much on this, the Akebono ceramic pads (either ACT or Pro ACT) are excellent and will provide excellent braking, very very little dust, and will last a very long time, and the don't warp rotors easily (they are probably the most advanced ceramic compound available). EBC green stuff I have not tried but they did have initial quality issues with the pad liner debonding from the backing plate which has made me avoid them.

Sometimes, I think you never know how pads will work until you install them. I installed new rotors on my '94, and left the existing pads in place. With 99K miles. Worked great. Then I got smart?-and installed some premium Raybestos pads from Rockauto.com-and they squealed like crazy. Put the old pads back on-and all is peachy.

Good luck.

oem or aftermarket?

i have a 1996

I've recently been Transfered here from Tennessee. Thanks for making me feel welcome! :cheers:

Its definitly great news to see more people with 98LS's in the area.

Theres a couple of us LS guys, we help eachother out, and talk about the best places to get work done on our cars since we dont have the best dealership :D

We also have a few meets in the Florida area, just yesterday, a few guys from CL, and IS300.net met up in orlando, if your into that kind of thing.

I have about given up on aftermarket brake pads, not that I didn't give them a good shot. Tried many brands and had dust from some, squeels from others and both from most. Now I stick with OEM and have never had a problem with them other than the price. I very much enjoyed the post with the technical data on brakes that alsalih shared, that was quite interesting and I would like to hear more on that, maybe a thread on brakes. Probably sounds rather boring to many of you, but I like hearing how parts are rated and that kind of thing.

i was thinking of getting ceramic brakes but after reading, i guess maybe going with the oems might be the best option for me.

i was reading up on the brembo rotor replacemtn and the akebono ceramic pro's.

what do you guys think about this combo? i read reviews on tirerack but i think it might be a bit biased since its on their site. im sure they "supervise" whats on there.

if no response, i guess ill go oem.

also, should i resurface the rotors or just get new oem ones? i have 110k

I put on aftermarket pads last july on the front, I was in a time pinch and had to go with what I could get that day. They will be coming off next month and replaced with oem pads and rotors all around. I'm not straying from oem anymore. They are semi-metallic like oem, but my wheels are BLACK from dust, they squeeeeeel, click, hiss and bounce around in the caliper. They just plain suck!