Wife Hates New Gx

leot

I traded in my RX for a GX after 3 recalls on RX. (05 GX for 05 RX) My wife used it for bidness (republican spelling) She parked it this morning and took my 7 year old LS, said she is done. I now will use the new GX for grocery shopping. (I love the GX) I am 71 retired. The reviews on the hybrid RX are awful, so I am stuck, driving 5 blocks back and forth every day to the grocery store. Worst thing is that all her hillbilly CD's are in the GX, and my classical CD's are still in my old LS.

Her GX complaints are; hard to steer, can't see out the rearview mirrors because of the headrests in the back, hard to get in to our narrow door garage, passenger seat doesn't have multiple settings for her bidness contacts. jerky transmission at times, clunks; can't operate her hands free V710 phone while in motion easily.

hard for a 5 foot 7 woman to get in and out of the car, the only thing she likes is that her coffee and bottled water don't spill, like they do with the old LS.

I Need some suggestions on what to do. I want a reliable 4 wheel drive for winter, but can't see re-trading back to an RX. The GX has under 5000 miles after 8 months.

Keep the GX and get rid of the Wife? But seriously the GX is probably not the best SUV for an elderly couple. Would be better for her to have something smaller like a Volvo or Subura 4 wheel drive.

First things first -

Recapture your own CDs as soon as the vehicle returns to your garage. You can't process information properly in your head if you're listening to crap you don't like....

Good luck with your dilemma. Sounds as if you're going to take a financial bath regardless of the decision you have to make.

Try taking a look at the Volvo XC90. It has the Volvo safety, easy for my mom who is 5'6 to get in and out of because of relatively low ride hight (for an SUV), fits in the garage easily, has a good AWD system, and has some pretty good pep to the T-6 version. If you're not a fan of the turbo, try taking a look at the V8 version. Good luck. B)

Try taking a look at the Volvo XC90.  It has the Volvo safety, easy for my mom who is 5'6 to get in and out of because of relatively low ride hight (for an SUV), fits in the garage easily, has a good AWD system, and has some pretty good pep to the T-6 version.  If you're not a fan of the turbo, try taking a look at the V8 version.  Good luck. B)

I am stuck with Lexus; since 1990 I have not owned anything else. I have leased 4 LS's; purchased 3 Rx's and a GX . I can't drive a Volvo, what would the neighbors think? Seriously, I am going to keep the GX, I love it. My wife can drive my 99 LS (66000 miles). I go to the grocery store and the bank every day because it gets me out, and the bank girls are gorgeous. I do all the cooking, and like fresh stuff, so to the grocery store 6 days and sometimes 7 per week. Today my wife got up at 4:30 and drove 150 miles for an 8 a.m. meeting for her "bidness" She is 69 and feisty and weighs the same as she did in eighth grade.

Take a test drive with the wife unit before buying your next car?

story is;

we went to the dealer for a test drive; our salesman wasn't in; manager assigned another salesman for test drive of GX. He was apoplectic about his assignment; told me straight out he didn't want to do a test drive for another salesman. He refused to answer any questions, just stared straight ahead. (this was prior to moving an inch) we got out of the GX. What he didn't know was that I had spoken to him on the phone previously about bluetooth applications (without identifying myself) . He was the only salesman at this dealership who was phone and bluetooth literate. He had all the answers and correct ones; so I wrote it off as him having a bad day like we all do.

• 4 months later...

Keep the GX. Trade in the wife. If you don't like the way the GX talks to you, you can simply turn the navigation off!

he should probably see which is worth more as a trade in...the GX or the wife.. ...I wonder how many miles his wife has on her.

I traded in my RX for a GX after 3 recalls on RX. (05 GX for 05 RX) My wife used it for bidness (republican spelling) She parked it this morning and took my 7 year old LS, said she is done. I now will use the new GX for grocery shopping. (I love the GX) I am 71 retired. The reviews on the hybrid RX are awful, so I am stuck, driving 5 blocks back and forth every day to the grocery store. Worst thing is that all her hillbilly CD's are in the GX, and my classical CD's are still in my old LS.

Her GX complaints are; hard to steer, can't see out the rearview mirrors because of the headrests in the back, hard to get in to our narrow door garage, passenger seat doesn't have multiple settings for her bidness contacts. jerky transmission at times, clunks; can't operate her hands free V710 phone while in motion easily.

hard for a 5 foot 7 woman to get in and out of the car, the only thing she likes is that her coffee and bottled water don't spill, like they do with the old LS.

I Need some suggestions on what to do. I want a reliable 4 wheel drive for winter, but can't see re-trading back to an RX. The GX has under 5000 miles after 8 months.

My 5'4" wife loves driving my GX470, as compared to her ES330. She likes the feature that lowers the vehicle-says it makes it easy to get in and out. She also likes the better outward vision and ride height.

Fist thing I'd do is take out the 3rd row of seats. Those headrests do impair vision, and do you all really need these seats in all the time? Besides, it leaves a decent cargo area, and you don't have to deal with the awkward folding up of the 3rd row seats.

Jerky transmission and clunks are technical service bulletin items, and will be fixed under warranty. Just say the magic words to the dealer, and the service advisor's eyes will light up at getting more warranty fix money from Lexus for the dealer.

If I understand correctly, your wife wants multiple programmable passenger seat settings to accomodate all her passengers. Is there any vehicle that has this function? If her business contacts are too lame to adjust a power seat, she might think about finding a different clientele.

I'd just learn to drive the GX470 and let her keep the LS. I'm retired myself, and the GX470 is great for pulling my horse trailer, and for going off road in 4 wheel drive to retrieve lost foxhounds. It gets twice the gas mileage of the Suburban it replaced, and is far more comfortable. And, it's a heck of lot easier to park in my garage than the Suburban.

And, if she needs to talk on a telephone, she should PARK the car!

Just my $0.02 worth.

As the old addage goes, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink". Sounds like there are different POV's at work here. It really does sound like no matter how this turns out , THIS is the wrong truck for your family. Good Luck.

I'm not sure where you have heard bad reviews on the RX400h. Consumer reports rates it as one of their top SUV's (hybrid or not). I have both an RX400h and an '06 GX470. I love both cars. My RX400h has 8500 trouble free miles on it. Smooth as silk, quiet, great acceleration, super transmission (CVT) and superior gas mileage for a powerful luxury SUV.

My wife however is a BMW lover. We traded in her '04 BMW X5 for the GX470 (the RX400h was my everyday car). Well guess what? I now drive the GX470 and she is driving my RX400h. She has already informed me that we are buying a new X5 next week. (For the record, her old X5 had 22,000 miles on it and had only seen the dealer once at about 13,000 miles for regular service (paid for by BMW). Given the choice between the RX400h and the GX, I have decided to keep the GX, but only because I need the additional seating (I coach youth sports, basketball and baseball, need I say more). So it looks like I will be trading the RX in, but through no fault of the car.

• 2 months later...

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Get rid of the wife. The GX is a GREAT vehicle.

• 4 weeks later...