How Do Coilovers Work?

I just wanted to know how coilovers work when your car is lowered. You can adjust the height at anytime without taking of the rims. Is it as simple as pulling over on the highway and raising your car up in a few minutes. I don't mean to sound stupid but i really don't have to much knowledge about them and would like someone who has them or knows about them to explain. thanks in advance.

Basically it depends on who makes the suspension.

What kind of ride you want

how much you want to spend

With my JIC i need to take off my rims, i probably could adjust the collar up and down with the rims but it would be much harder to get the wrenches around the collars to loosen the locking perch and adjust the seat one up or down.

Not something you want to do at the side of the road since anyway you put it you have to jack up the car.

It is pretty hard to adjust the height of coilovers with the wheel still on. Although coilovers give you the ability to adjust the height, it is not as easy as "pulling over on the highway and raising your car up in a few minutes." ;) If you need "instant" adjustability, you will need to look into air suspension.