2006 Gs300 Hid Lights

I recently bought an '06 GS300 AWD and love the vehicle with one BIG exception and this is the low beam HID lights. They are aimed extremely low and provide very poor front illumination. I have driven HID/Xenon cars for over five years and find these type of lights to be exceptional. The GS clearly has a problem with the aiming of these lights. I had the vehicle to the delaer who said the lights are aimed as high as Lexus would allow and offered nothing more. A call to Lexus customer service yielded nothing as they deferred to the dealer. I opened a complaint with NHTSA and would encourage anyone else with this issue to do so as maybe then we can get some resolution.

I recently bought an '06 GS300 AWD and love the vehicle with one BIG exception and this is the low beam HID lights.  They are aimed extremely low and provide very poor front illumination.  I have driven HID/Xenon cars for over five years and find these type of lights to be exceptional.  The GS clearly has a problem with the aiming of these lights.  I had the vehicle to the delaer who said the lights are aimed as high as Lexus would allow and offered nothing more.  A call to Lexus customer service yielded nothing as they deferred to the dealer.  I opened a complaint with NHTSA and would encourage anyone else with this issue to do so as maybe then we can get some resolution.

Here's the simple method for adjusing vertical aim of HID lights.

1. Park on a flat level surface and measure the distance from the ground to the center of your headlight (bulb).

2. Make horizontal lines with a magic marker on a garage door or a light colored wall, at the same height from the ground/floor, that you measured in 1.

3. Now draw another line parallel to and 0.8" (20 mm) below the first line.

4. Park the car on a level surface so it is pointing squarely at the wall that you marked and with the headlights 10 feet from the wall.

5. Start the engine, make sure the self leveling cycles, then sitting in the drivers seat see where the lights hit the wall in relation to the lines.

5. Adjust the vertical aim of each light so that the bottom of the light pattern (cutoff) is at the level of the lower line that you marked in 3.

If you don't have a wall to mark, you can mark the same distances on a big piece of white cardboard and stand it up 10 feet in front of the lights and adjust to that.

If your lights shine below the mark in item 3, then they are too low and they should adjust them for you. The above procedure is from my IS300 service CD, but the measurements should work for any car since the measurements are based on the center height of the lights for the car being adjusted.

I recently bought an '06 GS300 AWD and love the vehicle with one BIG exception and this is the low beam HID lights.  They are aimed extremely low and provide very poor front illumination.  I have driven HID/Xenon cars for over five years and find these type of lights to be exceptional.  The GS clearly has a problem with the aiming of these lights.  I had the vehicle to the delaer who said the lights are aimed as high as Lexus would allow and offered nothing more.  A call to Lexus customer service yielded nothing as they deferred to the dealer.  I opened a complaint with NHTSA and would encourage anyone else with this issue to do so as maybe then we can get some resolution.

• 4 years later...
I will try the suggestion. How exactly do I raise the low beam headlights myself? I have removed the covers and see some levels inside, but how exactly do I adjust them?

I had seen the Moderator's reply to that August 16, 2005 post, but have not been able to discover just how to do the adjustments either