Climate Control Module

cherylcowan

I am the original owner of a 1991 LS400. I have had intermittent problems with the air conditioning and it finally completely died. I took it into a reputable repair service. After charging me to vacuum the system and look for leaks, they advised the compressor worked, but I needed a new clutch. In addition, there appears to be an electrical problem that is making the system not fire up. I was told it could be the climate control module, but they wouldn't know if that was the case until I spent $300 in labor getting to it, plus around $400 for the clutch.

Hubby can probably fix the clutch. He has fixed his in his American car. Can we buy a rebuilt climate control module? I was quoted about $500-600 for the part plus a couple hours of labor. Is it that difficult to replace? Or if we can find manuals, can a regular-wrencher type guy do the trick?

the clutch runs for about $200 so you ac shop is trying to work you wallet and your hubby :lol: con do the job easily if he has done it before. you should go and buy the factory manuals (are expensive but worth every penny) and he should ahve no problem changing it out its just under a lot of dash so it takes time

my brother had the same problem in his legend, and when we traced all the relays and switches we found out that the problem is ECU.

the signal from the swithch goes in to the ECU and there it goes to the couple of relays that fire up the whole AC system. when we checked all the relays, ECU didnt give any signal to any of them. i checked the schemes for my ls and i found out that lexus utilize almost the same scheme. so trace and check all of them in order to get the real cause. of course if you are sure it is electrical.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello...there are two parts to the climate control module that lives just above the radio. It is very easy to replace and should take no more than one hour to replace. A pro who has done this before can do it in under 1/2 hour. The AC vents just pull straight out as well as the ash tray. That will expose the four screws that hold the radio/control module to the dash frame. There are four screws that hold the module to the radio. At the back of the module are three banks of connectors that need to be snapped out. When the whole unit is out the back needs to be separated from the front piece, again, there are multi-pin connectors that snap in and out and that's it. When you get a replacement (mine cost $300 re-built at lexus with a core) you will only get the front piece with the LCD display, put the re-built piece back together with the back piece and installation is exactly the reverse of removal. Make sure to disconnect negative on the battery first..

• 3 weeks later...

there is a company in S. San Francisco who also rebuilds the Clock/Climate Control Module. It should cost you around $299 and is really easy to remove and replace. The steps were mentioned by redhawk2, and is alright.

I have the name of the company on Page 2 of this forum(LS400-430). I'll ask Sw03es to pin it on the front.

I can also help you with the price of the clutch if it's available.

I believe that Mikado Technology Company, 1435 Huntingdon Avenue, Suite C, South San Fracisco, CA 94080, +1 (650) 615-9966, mikadotechnology@yahoo.com are the folks that rebuild the AC ECU for around $300.00.

Pace Compressor should be able to help you with the AC compreessor clutch. http://www.auto-air-compressor.com/contact.htm. They sell a rebuilt compressor, complete with clutch, for about $300. Good folks to deal with too. A new clutch from my local lexus dealer was just less than $300.

First thing that I would do is check the wire going to the compressor clutch with a voltmeter (not the rotation sensor on the back of the compressor). Should have 12 volts on it to engage the clutch. Curious though, if the ECU is calling for the compressor to engage but it doesn't see the correct speed information coming back from the comrpressor's speed sensor it should assume a compressor lock-up and give you the green flashing AC light . . .

• 4 weeks later...

I am having problems with my ECU as well. I hit "Auto" and the fan goes to low, no matter what the light on the dash says, or how hot it is inside. I sent it out to get rebuilt, and it came back with a new LCD and nothing else. The fan still doesn't work.

When I hit "High" manually on the fan, it goes to high. When I run the diagnostics, it changes from low to medium to high just fine. However, in auto mode, it doesn't change fan speeds.

Any ideas on this?

I sent an email to Mikado and it came back as undeliverable. They still in business?

I am also fighting this A/C problem. My compressor won't engage. I have a code 33 when I scan, and I ran the actuator test and all the fans work fine. I hate to start replacing stuff when it might be an ECU problem. I know what it means, but where is it?