Engine dies at start up... help!

I own a 1998 Lexus ES300. I have 47000 miles on the car and recently when I start my engine, it starts up but then it dies right away. To compensate for this problem, I rev up my engine by pressing down on the accelerator so the rpm is reving at around 3500 for a couple of minutes. At the point, I release my accelerator and the car runs fine. What's this problem? It never stalls once the car gets going though.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

lol i had a feeling to starter or spark plugs/wires.

but battery proves to be a fix to a lot of things :)

if the battery doesn't have enough juice, or isn't letting your car recharge it while you're driving, yeah, you may not have enough energy to keep the car going.

• 11 months later...

I own a '97 ES300 and have the same problem. The engine STARTS and then stalls. This happens about 10% of the time. I can tell if the engine is going to stall by paying attention to the tachometer right after turning the key to start the engine. Normally, when I start a cold engine, the engine speed starts off at around 1,500 RPM. However, SOMETIMES, the engine STARTS with engine speed less than 300 RPM. I have to tap on the gas pedal so that the speed reaches about 3,500 RPM for about a second. After I do this, the engine does not stall.

If it were a battery problem, it would happen 100% of the time. If it were a problem with either the fuel filter or the fuel system, the engine would probably stall while driving or while stopping at a red light. However, as brianchough wrote, once the car gets going, there is no problem.

I own a 1998 Lexus ES300. I have 47000 miles on the car and recently when I start my engine, it starts up but then it dies right away. To compensate for this problem, I rev up my engine by pressing down on the accelerator so the rpm is reving at around 3500 for a couple of minutes. At the point, I release my accelerator and the car runs fine. What's this problem? It never stalls once the car gets going though.

I have to agree with SKPERFORMANCE, you may have a carbon build-up in the idle air control valve(IACV).

I have the same problem and it comes and goes and you can tell as soon as you start it if it's going to do it. A quick hit on the gas and it idles fine, has to be carbon build up, I agree but how do I get at it and fix it..........

If the IACV valve is failing, wouldnt the rpm be erratic at idle as well?

It definately sounds like a throttle body problem where the engine fires and then chokes for fuel. If it were an electrical problem it would do it when you were driving as well. ( i.e. distributor sensor etc. )

Also, since the IACV and throttle body seems to frequently present various problems in the es300, can anyone direct us to where in the engine compartment the IACV / throttle body is and how to clean and maintain it? SKperformance maybe? :)

• 1 month later...

mat805

I have a 94 ES300. I would imagine that the The Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) is simarily located on your 98 ES300. On my engine the IACV is attached to the bottom of the throttle body assy and has a metal case about 2"x2"x1 1/2 " . It is located approx 5" below the hose clamp on the 3" dia x 9" long rubber air supply hose. As far as cleaning, I have not disassembled one. I forgot to ask the dealer that replaced mine to return the part to me. I have heard that you can disassemble the valve. I would try using an aerosol carburetor/choke cleaner to remove any carbon buildup. This IACV is a common problem on most lexus over 50,000 miles. It can cause various problems during engine operation, but usually more noticable at startup and idleing with car not moving. The dealers like to replace parts instead of trying to clean them because they can make more money, and they feel that there is a better chance that a new part will out last their 90 day service guarantee. A new IACV from the dealer will cost about $210, so it is worth attempting to clean it if you have the time and desire to try it.

Nigel

It is 100% the IAC as it is sooo common on the 97 and up vehicles having the problem.

The idle isn't erratic as the plunger cannot make the pin move out to allow more air flow that is needed when the car is already hot. The problem mainly happens to a car that is already driven then turned off then driven a short time later. The spring need to cool and it slowly moves back into position. Which is why it rarely happens when the engine is stone cold. Once the engine runs a few minutes already hot it then turns off the enrichment program that needs more fuel for starting . Which is why it becomes easier to start later and the pedal being depressed keeps the engine running as it is compensating for the iac.

I agree with SKPERFORMANCE.

I had a 97 at 100,000 miles and it would occasionally stall after I washed the car. I would pull it out of the garage to wash it and then 20 minutes later, it would start stalling when I tried to start it again. It would take 4-5 tries to get it started.

My independent Lexus mechanic first cleaned the hose, which seemed to work for a while. Then, he did a fuel system cleanup which didn't help. Finally, he did the idle valve replacement which fixed the problem. Cost was $300.

I totally agree with SPKperformance. I had the same problem and actually it still exists but its the IAC needs to be changed. BUt anyways i was wandering if anyone had it replaced and how much did they end up paying. I just had an estimate of 300$, just want to make sure if thats reasonable.

cheers :cheers:

• 8 months later...

Hi,

I just found this forum doing a search for idle problems on my 98 ES300. From searching around and reading a bunch of posts I'm pretty sure the idle valve is my problem also. Seems to have the classic symptoms. Engine won't idle on its own. Seems to be OK when cool. When it has been recently run it happns pretty frequently. I can give a litle gas and hold a proper idle and it runs smoothly. Let up ands it slows till it stops. I can only drive it if I handle the idle control duties. After several tries the idle control eventualy kicks in and it runs fine.

The solution seems to be a cleaning or replacement. I'd like to try a cleaning myself. Can anyone point me to a procedure or pictures somewhere, that I might be able to follow to do this? I understand it is undr the throtle body but I'm not positive what I am looking for. I picture of it would really help.

Thanks if you can get me started. Let me know if you need any more info.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just found this topic, I am having the same problem with my 97 ES 300, I have the same request as Dexmo, does any have any links, pictures or illustations of what this Idle control Valve looks like and where it is? Thank you.

Just found this topic, I am having the same problem with my 97 ES 300, I have the same request as Dexmo, does any have any links, pictures or illustations of what this Idle control Valve looks like and where it is?  Thank you.

i have not had this problem on my lexus yet but i have a ford ranger that had a IAC problem and i removed the IAC and cleaned it out with gumout carb cleaner and it has been fine ever sinse. i do not know if this would work for the IAC but if you are going to replace it anyway i would try and save the money and clean it myself

I just want to Thank You for having this forum. You helped me solve my problem. Sometimes you might think you are the only one with some quirky crazy problem like this and wonder how in the world am I ever going to figure out how to fix this or even just figure out what is causing the problem. It only took about an hour to take it apart, clean it, reassemble, and test drive to get vehicle warm, crank a few times, and DONE! Just wanted to let you know that you have really helped someone. Sincerely Jaspav

• 10 months later...
glad everyone here could help ,it was a team effort

I'm new here so sorry if i'm doing this all wrong. I have the exact same problem with my car, only it's a 92 sc400. Any thoughts, suggestions, advice...thanks in advance