Intake For A 96 Sc300?

So I decided that one of my first mods would be a CAI (Cold Air Intake).

I started looking around and found 1 intake for the SC300.

It's an Injen intake, part number IS2083 and it looks like this:

is2083.jpg

I think the splashguard is awesome since a lot of my friends complain about getting water into their engine when driving over puddles and such.

The only problem is, it says that the intake is for a 92-95 and mine is a 96.

Does that mean it won't fit on mine all together, or that I will just have to tweak it a little to get it to fit?

Either way, let me know if you have this sytem or if you have something that works well.

Well, that thing is not a splash guard, it's a heat shield. I guess it could work as a spash deflector, but I doubt any water would hit it if the intake is that much in the engine. That's because the Injen intake isn't cold air. Only the RD(race division) series at Injen are cold air. You could try and get the intake and make some piping to draw air to the intake. I don't know if that will fit. I have no idea. It could be that the 96 has a different air flow sensor?

There's this other intake system. It doesn't look as stylish as the Injen, but it costs less than 20 dollars and you'll probably get a bigger performance increase. It's called the BFI (Big Intake). You can check it out at http://planetsoarer.com Just read up on it and you just might go that way. If you go BFI, you can save lots more money compared to Injen and you can use the 150 or so dollars to save up on that turbo.

K. Well what do you guys think of this thing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2423592949

Supposedly it tricks the ECM into thinking that the air coming in is colder than it actually is thereby advancing timing by 5-6 degrees.

The seller's got 113 positive and only 13 negative replies so I guess the thing fits and does something.

I just don't know if something like this is healthy for the car.

Please advise.

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting stuff.

I shot an e-mail over to Injen.

It took them a week to respond.

Here are the contents:

=================================================================

Unfortunately, we have never test fitted a 96 model or make a specific part for that year.

We might possibly do it in the future but we are so busy with all of the 2003 models now.

Sorry,

Russell

----- Original Message -----

To: info@injen.com

Sent: Monday, July 21, 2003 11:51 AM

Subject: Intake for 96 SC300?

You guys make an intake for 92-95 SC300.

Part number IS2083

I was wondering if this would fit the 96 model or if you guys have a

different intake for that year.

Please let me know at your earliest convenience.

Thanks,

-Alan

=============================================================================

About half an hour before I got this reply, I found this:

http://www.autotoyaz.com/19gsinairin.html

INJEN INTAKE ;1992-98 GS300/SC300 is2083P Retail: $280.00 Big Boyz Toys Price: $239.95

Notice the part number in the e-mail, and the one I found.

I sent another e-mail to Injen with the links and stuff.

I want the guy to confirm that it will fit on my car b4 I buy it.

I hate returning stuff and I don't want to modify anything to get it to fit.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Oh yeah. You guys say that the best bang for the buck is BFI and the other comment was that either go cold air or nothing.

Well my friend has an Injen intake on his Neon. It's also the short one that draws "hot" air.

But I really like the sound of it and he said he still noticed a positive change in acceleration at higher speeds.

As for the real cold air, I live in San Francisco, where it tends to rain even at random times during the summer and I don't intend to slow down for every puddle on the road.

Sorry for the long post.

Latest news:

Got a quicker e-mail response this time.

=====================================================================================================

According to what he have physically tested, we only cover 92-95. Maybe they have test fit it on a 96-98. We have not, so we can't guarantee.

Regards,

Russ

----- Original Message -----

To: Injen

Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2003 11:49 AM

Subject: RE: Intake for 96 SC300?

Ok. That is very strange because I just found this:

http://www.autotoyaz.com/19gsinairin.html

INJEN INTAKE ;1992-98 GS300/SC300 is2083P Retail: $280.00Big Boyz Toys Price: $239.95

Please clarify...

-Alan

=========================================================================================

Going to be funny if I buy it and it doesn't fit.

then email autotoyaz and see why they put 92-98. Also if you want good sound just do bfi and go to some piping welder shop and see if they can custom weld a pipe that will fit from throttle body to air flow sensor without modification. The pipe will resonate the sound you want and bfi will give the performance, all for less than $200.

I believe the Injen intake will fit your '96. I have a friend who has a '97 SC300 turbo and he has an injen intake, so I guess it has to fit. He said the intake came with his turbo kit.

But I have heard that even with that $200 Injen intake you will get nothing more than a 5 HP gain on a cold winter day. I'd go with the BFI, I'm in the process of collecting materials to make a BFI-and they're not kidding when they say it costs less than $20.

Thanks for the advice.

I think I'll just wait (might take years) to save enough money for a turbo.

I found the F-max kit on sale for $4550 and free shipping but I don't have the money right now and the deal ends on the 31st.

Meanwhile I found soemthing else, for which you guys will probably kick me out of this forum :P

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=11750

In case you can't see from the picture, it's an electrical (turbo)charger.

I don't see how this is a bad idea, although i've had quite a few people laugh at me when I proposed it.

This is the first time i've seen one actually for sale though.

Let me know how long it took you guys to stop laughing at me and actually respond.

i have actually thought about that electronic fan turbo too but i figured that it might not feed enough air and or might push too much when at idle unless theres a throttle position sensor on the fan motor to make speed variable then i dont know if that would work

It should help, but if you drive in wet weather, the water and mud is going to find its way into your combustion chamber. You can try the BFI. You need to do some crazy things to the front bumper near the radiator, and you have to cut up the stock airbox. You don't need to change the pipe though. You can do all that and get more of a performance increase and it won't attract as much water or mud into your engine. The info is at www.planetsoarer.com. Look for BFI

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

See the links posted above by Bubbles. Then it depends on what you are used to doing on a car, knowing what looks right and improvising when necessary. Count on spend time hunting down screws, figuring how to creat the openings, cutting up the stock box and sealing everything up. Hard, not particularly.