Test-drove 2006 Today For My Wife...

Remington

My wife loves the look of the current LX and wants to trade in her Town & Country limited AWD on one. So we test drove one today and I could not believe what a slug the thing is. I mean, the MSRP is 70k and it's slower than her minivan!

I felt like I could feel my facial hair growing as I was accelerating to highway speed. I mean I'm not expecting it to be as fast as my 545i but is this the normal?? I was expecting at least Navigator power.

It was, however, beautiful and comfortable inside. I'm just not sure I could stand to drive the thing on the highway.

Dude, conservatively, the thing weighs close to 2X the Caravan...

The slow acceleration was one of the main reasons i never bought one. they are too heavy and the engine is not powerful enough for an SUV of that weight. but as soon as they get going, they're gone! ;)

They are pretty slow. The new 270hp motor helps but its not as brisk as a Navigator, which is still pretty slow in its own right. The vehicle is much higher quality than a Navigator though. The big beasts are just too heavy to feel quick.

You guys might want to look at a GX470. Same motor and finished almost as well and being lighter they feel quicker.

Hello..... I'm new here! :cheers:

I just bought an 06 LX470 this past Saturday. As a two time Landcruiser owner (2001 and 2003), I think the new LX470 is quite a bit faster than my previous LC's.

It has plenty of power for me, particularly when using the "PWR" button for passing on the open road.

I'm going to enjoy it - it was certainly worth the extra price when compared to the LC.

I firmly believe that Lexus "slug" the engine for the first 5,000 miles.

Now on my 2nd Lx470 and both have provided extra oomph after the 5,000 mile service.

I'm now at 35,000 miles and I have no complaints Performance or otherwise.

Context: Other Cars i own include a Mercedes E55 AMG.

Hi all! Newbie here also. I bought an 06 LX470 two weeks ago and I agree with Tony that the power is a vast improvement. I had an 99 and 03 Landcruisers also and there is no comparison in power. My only complaint is the crappy Dunlop tires and getting them to balance. On my LC's I had to go to the Michelin Pilot LTX to get a smooth vibration free ride.

My wife loves the look of the current LX and wants to trade in her Town & Country limited AWD on one. So we test drove one today and I could not believe what a slug the thing is. I mean, the MSRP is 70k and it's slower than her minivan!

I felt like I could feel my facial hair growing as I was accelerating to highway speed. I mean I'm not expecting it to be as fast as my 545i but is this the normal?? I was expecting at least Navigator power.

It was, however, beautiful and comfortable inside. I'm just not sure I could stand to drive the thing on the highway.

methinks mr. remington is full of it. when i saw his name, and as importantly the bmw 545i, i thought i recognized him.....on rangerovers.net. behold:

remington

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:56 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just orded a set from British Atlantic thanks to this post for my 1 week old RRover. I've gotten conflicting reports on how to have them installed. One person told me I could do it, the other said it would take an interiors shop 6 hrs to do it. Anyone with experience on this? I'm not extremely handy but I do have lots of tools and have done things like hardwiring radar detectors before so if I have good instructions I can be fairly useful.

remington

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:24 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

iDrive wrote:

remington.. How long have you had your 545i? the 5 is one of those cars that never gets old driving it.. i must say that the RR is great for long road trips.

if you haven't yet, check out http://forums.e60.net

I bought the 545i last month-- about 3 weeks before buying the RR. Big car month for me

I agree that the 545i is just the ultimate driver. Sooooo much power. I'm already a big e60.net fan (I'm rodneyremington over there), such a great forum.

I only wish this forum were a little more 'active'. It's kind of dead here. I can't really get answers to my questions because there are only like 5 posts a day...

i only bring this up because range rover owners seem to delight in trashing the LC/LX. though from what i see on their forums, they have plenty of their own problems.

IMHO RR arnt worth the 80k they are although nothing says "gangsta" like them but i think i am the only person in this forum who cares about bieng gangster :D , the look really nice thought...but i just dont have enough money in my piggy bank for that ride :D and niether does my dad -_- , but back on track the LX will feel sluggish try the GX...i have one and it is one of the fastest SUVs on the market i think 0-60 in 7.2....06's have 270 hp same as the lx but a lot lighter and IMO much better looking..you will not find the same room inside as the LX (obviosly) but the GX is a great car

• 1 month later...

methinks mr. remington is full of it. when i saw his name, and as importantly the bmw 545i, i thought i recognized him.....on rangerovers.net. behold:

remington

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:56 am Post subject:

I just orded a set from British Atlantic thanks to this post for my 1 week old RRover. I've gotten conflicting reports on how to have them installed. One person told me I could do it, the other said it would take an interiors shop 6 hrs to do it. Anyone with experience on this? I'm not extremely handy but I do have lots of tools and have done things like hardwiring radar detectors before so if I have good instructions I can be fairly useful.

remington

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:24 am Post subject:

iDrive wrote:

remington.. How long have you had your 545i? the 5 is one of those cars that never gets old driving it.. i must say that the RR is great for long road trips.

if you haven't yet, check out http://forums.e60.net

I bought the 545i last month-- about 3 weeks before buying the RR. Big car month for me

I agree that the 545i is just the ultimate driver. Sooooo much power. I'm already a big e60.net fan (I'm rodneyremington over there), such a great forum.

I only wish this forum were a little more 'active'. It's kind of dead here. I can't really get answers to my questions because there are only like 5 posts a day...

i only bring this up because range rover owners seem to delight in trashing the LC/LX. though from what i see on their forums, they have plenty of their own problems.

The best way to own a RR is to trade every year. Never own one that is not under warranty and alway have additional transportation if you do own one. In OZ and Africa they only use RR on pavement and never where a breakdown could cost them their life or safety. If they are going into the bush they drive a LC. If someone wants a "fast" SUV don't buy a LC/LX. If you want the highest quality and most reliable SUV then buy a LC/LX.