Spark Plug Replacement Interval

byohzrd

I'm sure this topic has been covered before, but I can't seem to find any definite answers using the search function. I've always been under the impression that the interval for changing the spark plugs on my 2000 ES was 60,000 miles. The manual is somewhat ambiguous, and when I called the Lexus Dealership to get a quote, the service advisor told me the plugs don't need to be changed until 90,000 miles. So which is it?

Also, if the interval is 60,000 miles, would it kill my car to wait awhile? My current mileage is 62,000, but I will be trading up to an SC430 in March and I don't want to put any unnecessary maintenance into the ES.

my service advisor also told me 90,000 miles for my 2003 ES300 because they changed to some long-life plug, but i'm not really sure if you should wait that long. were you going to change them yourself, or pay the $300 at the dealership for a tune-up?

My 2001 ES was not due to replace the spark plugs (Iridiums) until 90,000 miles. However I had them changed at just under 50,000 miles when I purchased the car (got the old plugs back as well)....it's just the way I am to make sure I get the best fuel economy & my engine is in top condition. I personally wouldn't go over 60,000 miles max no matter what type of spark plug is used. B) ;)

:cheers:

I'm with LF.

Iridium, or not. You'll want them taken out & cleaned by 60,000 miles regardless, which I always point out. If you're going to pay 10-11x the cost of a base ngk/denso, and still have to pull it out before the plug itself is dead. No point in buying it in the first place. =)

We can't know if your plugs are gonna last another 30,000 miles. Don't ask us LoL!

It's your car, try it if you want. If you get mis-firing next year, you'll know why. ;)

I'm curious ... is the spark plug change interval in shown in your maintenance manual like it is in mine?

According to the maintenance manual for our 2000 LS, the recommended spark plug change interval is 120,000 miles. Is the interval different for a 2000 ES?

I've found that the various service intervals recommended by the local Lexus dealer's service writers are substantially shorter than listed in the maintenance manual. Of course their job is to sell service - the biggest profit center at a dealership.

the interval for the 2002 ES is 90k. However, I changed mine at 60k just I was starting to get the minimalist of surging. The changed eliminated the surging.

The six plugs that came out, were textbook perfect for what a normal sparkplug should look like. dry and chocolate brown/tan. The gap was still withing specifications. They probably could have gone till 90k but I did it at 60.

On a side note, doing them at 60k will slightly lesson the cost of my 90k service.

steviej

I'm not sure what a wallypop is, or your mechanical skill level.

This is a 2-3 beer project on the Toysrme mechanical scale, or if you live in the hot & humid south like Toysrme, it's a 2-3 beer + 1-2 rum & gatoraid. Gotta have your fluids. Ya don't want a heat stroke!

I'm not sure what a wallypop is, or your mechanical skill level.

This is a 2-3 beer project on the Toysrme mechanical scale, or if you live in the hot & humid south like Toysrme, it's a 2-3 beer + 1-2 rum & gatoraid. Gotta have your fluids. Ya don't want a heat stroke!

I, at times, make the time go by quick with pepsi and Grey Goose!! :blink: :D :blink: :D

Since I'm not mechanically inclined at all, I'd prefer to have a few beers while watching my mechanic do it for me. :) Thanks for all the input. I think I'm going to go ahead and have it done.

I had my plugs replaced around 86K miles. I purchased a set of them at the local Autozone for less than $80, and my mechanic friend has all the necessary tools to do the job (i.e. socket sets, flexible extensions, etc.) All in all, it took about 2 hours to finish (the old ones were getting brownish), and I rewarded him with a couple of beers :D

I had my plugs replaced around 86K miles.  I purchased a set of them at the local Autozone for less than $80, and my mechanic friend has all the necessary tools to do the job (i.e. socket sets, flexible extensions, etc.)  All in all, it took about 2 hours to finish (the old ones were getting brownish), and I rewarded him with a couple of beers :D

Did you put iridiums in again Doug? :unsure:

I had my plugs replaced around 86K miles.  I purchased a set of them at the local Autozone for less than $80, and my mechanic friend has all the necessary tools to do the job (i.e. socket sets, flexible extensions, etc.)  All in all, it took about 2 hours to finish (the old ones were getting brownish), and I rewarded him with a couple of beers :D

Did you put iridiums in again Doug? :unsure:

Nope Brenden, this is just the 1st replacement of the plugs back in May 2004 (glad I keep a log of all the maintenance work done on my ES) ;)

And yes, they are Denso Iridiums. The factory plugs were the NGK brand.

I'm just wondering what takes 2 hours to complete. I've not done this on the ES, but my old Porsche and my buddies Nissan we used to do when kids just took like 15 minutes (granted there are 2 more plugs here). Is it just placement of the engine and hard to get at the plugs?