Need Help With Warranty Problem

JilLexus

I am hoping someone can give me advice on something I think should be warranted. I am so unhappy with my dealer right now I could scream. Long story short, EVERY time I take it in for something that should be warrantied, they try to tell me it's not covered. I have the 100,000 Certified Lexus Warranty and currently have 76,000 miles on my 2000 RX300.

The latest is weird-the HANDLE on the back hatch broke! I did not do anything to it-one day I tried to open it and it just jiggled-kind of like when it's locked. So I take it in and it takes them 90 minutes to tell me that the handle is broken and they need to order a part. And that they called the Corporation and it is NOT covered under warranty. AND it will cost ME $423.00!! I am so stunned. I paid extra money for this vehicle so that I would have the certified warranty. I could have purchased it from a non-Lexus dealer for much cheaper, but thought I would have better coverage by going through THEIR dealer. Now, I realize that the handle is not defective-it worked for 5 years. However, I don't think the handle just breaking is acceptable given how much we pay for these vehicles and the fact that I did NOTHING to break it.

We called Lexus and "Raul" told us he'll speak to his boss and get back to us within 2 days.

I am seriously considering NOT buying another Lexus because there are only two dealers within a reasonable driving distance from me and this is BS. Plus this stupid dealer once again did NOT have a loaner for me so I had to sit there the whole time.

I am thoroughly disappointed by this and hope that the corporation will help me out. Otherwise I know for sure I will NOT buy another Lexus. I'll be in the market for a new SUV within the next year, and I'll tell you, right now the BMW is looking mighty nice.

VERY DISAPPOINTED IN LEXUS OF BROOKFIELD, WISCONSIN

Jill

I am a Lexus owner, however i have to say Ford did cover all repairs on my 99 exploder when the driver door handle broke ( lots of plastic parts in there) and the electric locks failed. I did get a loaner. Alot broke on that SUV from the engine to the transmission and stuff in between, but they did fix everything for free.

Any time you are being denied coverage on a part that should be covered under warranty or an extended insurance policy, make them put it in writing, and cite the part of your policy that exculdes your problem. It is very easy to verbally say no, but when it has to be backed up in writing sometimes they discover, oh yea we can cover that. It also gives you documentation for further action if you need it. good luck.

I'm not familiar with the Lexus Extended Warranty, but I bought one from Chrysler years ago and it covered only major mechanical components (engine and transmission). The warranty should spell out exactly what is covered, if it is not on the list then it's not covered. Things like a door handle I don't expect it to be covered by an extended warranty.

I'm not familiar with the Lexus Extended Warranty, but I bought one from Chrysler years ago and it covered only major mechanical components (engine and transmission). The warranty should spell out exactly what is covered, if it is not on the list then it's not covered. Things like a door handle I don't expect it to be covered by an extended warranty.

Just as I have said a thousand times, Lexus cares only about Lexus, not the customer, by the way Raul whom you spoke with is absolutely the most rude SOB that I have ever spoken to. When I tried in vain to get resolution on my Trashmission problems, he did the same thing and said he would call back, then he finally contacted me (many days later) and basically said suck it up, you are past warranty too bad. I hope you all read this and see the true side of this supposedly luxuary car company with such great support. You will only join the ranks of dissatisfied customers that will go to another vendor for their next vehicle. good luck

thats not entirely true to all lexus dealerships. In san francisco, they treat you like a king, hehe. i get a loaner car everytime i go in. just try to be nice to them and they should do the same. the cars arent the crap u think it is. just find a different represenative. also, never buy the extended warranty, its crap. and lastly, who is Raul? lol

also, i own a 2004 Sienna, which has the same engine but half the price. But...im never going to buy a toyota again. the work is shoddy and noise level during low speeds is still high. it doesnt have the lexus quality. the paint work is easy chipped and not has smooth, it feels grainy. anyways i think you'd be more happy with the rx. you might want to splurge a little more for a nav.

Was your warranty a bumper to bumper or just power train. You always have to do your homework before you try and get warranty work done. Read what is covered and isn't.

Jeff

Was your warranty a bumper to bumper or just power train. You always have to do your homework before you try and get warranty work done. Read what is covered and isn't.

Jeff

Raul was one of the customer service managers in LA La land at Lexus of America. By the way my local Toyota dealership does much better service than the Lexus dealership. That loaner car is a cover-up to allow the Lexus mechanics more time to destroy your car.

Getting back to the original post, I think it's unreasonable to expect a warranty (extended or not) to cover something it was not intended to cover. The warranty should have been explained to you when purchased.

It is, however, reasonable to complain and gripe about poor workmanship, shoddy service, and rude employees.

There's probably not anything you can do about the warranty, but there are channels to escalate your other complaints up the chain if you so choose.

Lastly, the treatment you'd received seems to be an isolated incident, many people (myself included) have gotten exceptional service from their local dealers.