Gas Problems...hehehe...

1991LS400

This is a serious topic with a funny title. Sorry.

Something is concerning me about the smell of strong gas odors coming from my car. Whenever I turn my car on in the garage you can really smell gas coming out from it. I cannot visually see any leaks anywhere on my car and nothing on the ground however, it smells so strong whenever my car is in an enclosed place (like a garage). Could my gas tank have a leak? Wouldn't I be able to see it if it was leaking? Would it be bad catalytic converters? Someone, please help.

P.S. My fuel gauge doesn't fill up completely to the "F" when the gas tank is full and ends up staying close to "F" for a while before starting to go back down. And my fuel gauge was JUST BELOW the quarter line and my orange gas tank light came on. Hmm.... :unsure:

You really shouldn't be sitting in the closed garage with the car running, unless you're  planning on leaving this world early!

Let me clarify...my car was sitting in the garage with the garage door OPEN and I could still smell a strong fuel odor coming from my car. Can anyone ACTUALLY help me?

Check the filler cap's o-ring (makes to opening where refuel nozzle is placed) to ensure proper shape. If it is flat, replace the o-ring. Has the fuel filter been changed recently? If so, inspect for leaky connections.

Check the filler cap's o-ring (makes to opening where refuel nozzle is placed) to ensure proper shape. If it is flat, replace the o-ring. Has the fuel filter been changed recently? If so, inspect for leaky connections.

I replaced the fuel filter about a month ago but I was smelling the same fuel smell even with the old fuel filter so I know that's not the case.

The fuel odor is just so strong when my car is on (outside you can't smell it of course because of how open it is) in the garage even with the garage door OPEN.

if u dont end up finding any leaks, then its probably natural. My car does the same thing in the morning when its not warmed up. Did this happen before or is this a new thing. with the gauge thing, u should prolly fix that. That happened on my old rx300 and they had to replace the computer, turning my odometer to 0. i dont know how much it costs to change it cause mine was still under warranty.

Newer cars have a vent recycle where the engine burns fuel tank fumes in the engine, however, this car may have a charcoal canister that absorbs such fumes. Perhaps you could check on that.

Do you own any other gas powered engines, such as a lawn mower, weed eater, or chain saw? The Houston heat will evaporate their gas in vented tanks as well!

An electronic Freon detector will detect high concentrations of gasoline vapors. When you are finished, the filter will need to be changed in the detector.

Newer cars have a vent recycle where the engine burns fuel tank fumes in the engine, however, this car may have a charcoal canister that absorbs such fumes. Perhaps you could check on that.

Do you own any other gas powered engines, such as a lawn mower, weed eater, or chain saw? The Houston heat will evaporate their gas in vented tanks as well!

An electronic Freon detector will detect high concentrations of gasoline vapors. When you are finished, the filter will need to be changed in the detector.

No, I do not have my lawn mower, weed eater, or anything else that carries any type of fuel in my garage. Well, I WAS in Houston (will be going back) and now I'm in Austin but it's not any cooler up in Austin than Houston and I still smell the fumes coming from my car. It's just more prevalent in a closed-in space (even with the garage door open). It's been like this for who knows how long but I definitely noticed it about 6 months ago...WAY before I even changed my fuel filter.

So the whole point is I shouldn't be smelling any fuel-like fumes coming from my 1991 LS 400 at all? Could the gas tank have a leak? How would I know? Is there any way for me to see that? Or do you guys seriously think it's something else?

P.S. Does my gas tank have some sort of a float mechanism in it that can affect how it reads on my fuel gauge? Or would my fuel gauge just be bad?

:cries: I had that same problem, i got rid of my steering wheel cover, couple of times, i had over filled my gas tank, and when i pulled the gas pump handle out of the tank hole, i didn't realized i had gotten gas all over my hand, and then drove home. gasoline was transfer over to my steering wheel cover (wrapped around covers). I then took it off and tried to wash it. but i decided to throw it away. no more gas smell in my car. also clean floor mat, just in case i might of tracked in gasoline into my car. hope this help you out. :cheers:

Evap system is probably clogged, canister full, plugged, etc or the hose has come loose. That might also account for your gas guage not reading full. Ever have trouble getting gas to flow into the tank when filling up? That would indicate the same problem.

Evap system is probably clogged, canister full, plugged, etc or the hose has come loose.  That might also account for your gas guage not reading full.  Ever have trouble getting gas to flow into the tank when filling up?  That would indicate the same problem.

None of those "other" problems about the fuel gauge.

And I just have fuel fumes coming out from underneath my car area when my car is running. You just can't smell it so much outside because it's so open but when you pull into the garage you can smell it a LOT regardless if the car has been sitting all night or if the car has been driven all day. Seems as if nobody has really had this problem.

• 2 years later...
Evap system is probably clogged, canister full, plugged, etc or the hose has come loose. That might also account for your gas guage not reading full. Ever have trouble getting gas to flow into the tank when filling up? That would indicate the same problem.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

None of those "other" problems about the fuel gauge.

And I just have fuel fumes coming out from underneath my car area when my car is running. You just can't smell it so much outside because it's so open but when you pull into the garage you can smell it a LOT regardless if the car has been sitting all night or if the car has been driven all day. Seems as if nobody has really had this problem.

Did you find out the problem here?

I have a slight fuel odor and I can't really tell were it is coming from. It tends to be stronger on warm days, and when tank has more fuel in it. It really has my wife worried.

Anyone have any ideas? Were would I find canister that may be full of clogged?

Do either of you have a check engine light on?

Last summer when the oxygen sensors went out on my 1992 LS, the car started running on a very rich fuel mixture. This hurt gas mileage and there was a very strong gas smell whenever I was outside of the car while it was running.

Last summer when the oxygen sensors went out on my 1992 LS, the car started running on a very rich fuel mixture. This hurt gas mileage and there was a very strong gas smell whenever I was outside of the car while it was running.

Very true, this was a problem on the last gen camaro with the 3.8L v6.

Ill bet you have a code somewhere, the description of the code should read:

Pxxx- Fuel Injector #"x" open loop

Nope, no check engine light and it runs great.

The fuel smell tends to be coming from the passenger side near the rear of the car, sometimes we can smell it inside of the car.

Also, Is the fuel tank suppose to build up pressure? I have never heard a hiss when removing gas cap.

My father-in-laws 95 LS recently developed a leaky injector and had a strong smell of unburned fuel outside the car - the engine driven fan blew it back. It was not an exhaust gas smell, but a "gas station" smell of raw fuel. Easy fix using a new injector....

• 2 years later...

This is a serious topic with a funny title. Sorry.

Something is concerning me about the smell of strong gas odors coming from my car. Whenever I turn my car on in the garage you can really smell gas coming out from it. I cannot visually see any leaks anywhere on my car and nothing on the ground however, it smells so strong whenever my car is in an enclosed place (like a garage). Could my gas tank have a leak? Wouldn't I be able to see it if it was leaking? Would it be bad catalytic converters? Someone, please help.

P.S. My fuel gauge doesn't fill up completely to the "F" when the gas tank is full and ends up staying close to "F" for a while before starting to go back down. And my fuel gauge was JUST BELOW the quarter line and my orange gas tank light came on. Hmm.... :unsure:

We have had worse. After filling the tank (not over-filled), we drove 15 miles home. After parked in the garage for 15 minutes, we smelled gasoline in the house. The tank was leaking. It was over 100 degrees in OKC today and we believe that the heat and the full tank caused a pressure build-up that forced gasoline out of the tank. We are taking this thing back to the dealer. It is extremely dangerous vehicle.

Do you notice the gasoline fumes on hotter days?