Online Ordering

uthorns1976

I'm going to order a Lexus trailer hitch from an internet site I found. They have the cheapest price. I have never ordered from them before. I know exactly what part I need. As part of the ordering process, they ask for the vehicle's VIN. It's optional but if you don't provide it, there are no returns or exchanges.

I'm not really comfortable with giving them the vehicle's VIN and I don't see why they would need it for a trailer hitch. Other vendors I contacted didn't ask for the VIN. They just offered to order the hitch, ship it to me and charge my credit card. The site I want to order from is quite a bit cheaper than others. What should I do?? Thanks.

Of course, I have to give them my credit card info. If I give them the VIN, is there a chance it could be used for some illicit purpose or am I just being paranoid?? :huh:

Edited by uthorns1976

I wouldn;t blame you for being paranoid but many parts places especially the dealer always ask for the VIn to make sure you get the part you need as their are many variables in models and owners are not even aware of them.

If you feel funny cross reference the part maker with other hitch makers for diffrences to validate the need for providing it.