My Vcr Is Sick

uthorns1976

Hope someone can help with this problem. We have a several year old VCR. Yes, they still exist. At any rate, I use it to record TV shows and play them back at a later date. The last couple of times, when I play back the recorded program, part of the sound drops in and out and the HI-FI light goes on and off. It's as if one channel of the sound is dropped. Very annoying. I tried a different tape, same problem. Could it be a dirty record head?? Any help appreciated. Thanks

Hope someone can help with this problem.  We have a several year old VCR.  Yes, they still exist.  At any rate, I use it to record TV shows and play them back at a later date.  The last couple of times, when I play back the recorded program, part of the sound drops in and out and the HI-FI light goes on and off.  It's as if one channel of the sound is dropped.  Very annoying.  I tried a different tape, same problem.  Could it be a dirty record head??  Any help appreciated.  Thanks

A Hi-Fi VCR uses the helical drum heads to scan the tape for both audio and video. so this problem could be dirty heads. Sometimes if you're lucky a head cleaning tape will correct this, but in most cases you have to open up the machine to manually clean the heads. Note: The heads are pretty delicate, so before attempting this job read this: http://www.fixer.com/osm/cleaning.html

Also, did you try adjusting the tracking control to eliminate the dropouts?

sorry, i don't know much about VCR's. :(

I have DVR (digital video recording)..this means no more tapes, i just find the show(s) i want to watch later and record them. it works like a computer.

I love it. I have no idea why i didn't do it right away.

I have fixed a couple V C R's I did a google search and found a D I Y site that tells you what to check and in what order. Sorry I don't remember the site but it told me what I needed to know.