Gas Gauge Sc300

jac525

I have a 1992 SC300 With 127,000 miles. The car has never given me any problems till now. The gas gauge will only move about an 1/8 tank when filled. The low fuel light still works and I have replaced the in tank sending unit( it is nothing like the SC400). Is there any one that could please help me?? The dealer wants $500 to try to "fix" the problem with no guarantees.

Well, if you already changed the sending unit, the only thing I could think of is maybe the actual floater is sticking somewhere, or the gauge is broke somehow. It's kind of curious that the gauge still has movement, but isn't accurate.

That's really all I can think of.

• 4 months later...
I have a 1992 SC300 With 127,000 miles.  The car has never given me any problems till now.  The gas gauge will only move about an 1/8 tank when filled.  The low fuel light still works and I have replaced the in tank sending unit( it is nothing like the SC400).  Is there any one that could please help me??  The dealer wants $500 to try to "fix" the problem with no guarantees.

I take it you might be kind of handy, so if you like you can remove the sending unit unit again and test it with an ohm meter. The float is attached to an arm. That arm is connected to a small elect box. That box is actually a potentiometer. When the tank is full, the arm raises in th tank and moves the contacts in the pot . A full tank would offer low or little resistence, thereby allowing a full signal to send the fuel gauge up to full. As the float or fuel level goes down, the arm moves down and makes the pot offer more elect resistence, thereby sending a smaller signal to the fuel gauge thereby showing a lower fuel level. This is really a very basic construct. If you connect a mutimeter to the sending unit and manually move the float arm you will see the reading on the meter move. If you move the arm and the meter reading doesn't change, then something is not right with the sending unit.

I have the opposite problem. My gauge wants to read near full all the time. I have replaced the orig sending unit because it was always sending a full signal, but then I never tested the new unit. I may have to pull the unit again and test the new unit with a meter. I am also trying to find out if the re is any kind of calibration that can be done to the fuel gauge itself. Good Luck . . .

Feel free to let me know how you make out. I hope I have been able to help yopu a little... <_<