Proper Coolant Type

jhauck

Posts on the "ES300" site suggest that you should ONLY use toyota/lexus anti-freeze or Dexcool.

They say "you'll damage the cooling system using Prestone etc", even if properly flushed.

Anyone have any experience with this.

I find it hard to believe.

Any input is appreciated.

Jeff Hauck

Gresham, OR.

why do you still find this hard to belive

do a search and find the others who cost themselves a good bit of money for being cheap

as there couldn't be any other reason as the dexcool last longer and has a higher temp rating

but then why did you want lexus engineering

I certainly am proud to own a Lexus and to be a part of "Lexus Ownership", but don't forget, the engine is a TOYOTA.

I don't want to make this a "urinary olympics" (read: *BLEEP*ing contest), but I consider myself relatively "mechanically inclined" as I've been "into" autos and auto engineering for 26 years and have been a government licensed Aircraft Airframe AND POWERPLANT mechanic for 21 years so know a little about design/engineering and how easy it is for a preferred item to suddenly become "the only thing that will work and everything else will destroy the engine" (i.e. "urban legend"). Prestone meets/exceeds every single vehicle manufacturer recommendations so I find it incredible to believe that the use of it will "destroy" an engine or any component thereof.

I do agree that the Toyota long-life or Dexcool may be better, but cannot believe that anything else would do damage.

Oh, by the way, are you aware of the several class-action lawsuits pending against manufacturers of Dexcool?

:D i run NPG waterless coolant in my 98 gs300 no water no corrosion no oxidation it also has a lubricant in the coolant to provide longer life to your water pump and any other moving part in the system tou can get it at evanscooling,com it is guaranteed for 250,000 miles it will probably be the last time you change out the rad fluid!!!!!

As long as you Flush the system , and leave no residue of other type of antifreezes you should always use (DEXCOOL) it will not corrode aluminum. Remember Lexus has An aluminum block and Heads.You must use DEXCOOL

i will leave this situation alone as you seem more argumentative than based in reality for the experiance you seem to have

water is a lubricate but it is not the same as oil and they both are in the engine but you wouldn't use it to lube an engine????

different rubber seals react different as are this is part of there properties

good luck

it is a toyota engine and they also use the red stuff in there's as well not just lexus

and make sure you tell us what the reapir bill comes up to

:D my 98 gs 300 has 100.000 mi. on it and i drive it with great confidence . I drive the car in -40 degree in the winter and plus 90 degrees in the summer if you did your research on how this product works then you would understand that my point is not argumentative . maybe there is more to the automotive world than meets the common consumers beleifs . have great driving and tell me about your repair bills!!! now be honest! :lol::lol::lol:

dcfish chill out.....I think you will see that sk's comments were more intended for jhauck.....not you.

It seems this thread is going no where and attitudes are on the rise.

If the car came with red coolant then it was because Toyota felt it a better coolant to ship in the cars or that is the only coolant they ship in their cars. May be for financial, mechanical, or whatever reasons, we will never know, but Toyota had their reasons.

The websites on Dexcool simply say "due to a few studies", or "it has been seen that mixing the two types of coolants has been shown to" blah blah blah. And yes there are class action lawsuits out there. There are class action lawsuits on tons of products that are out there. We live in a society that likes to sue, sometimes for good reason.

Now for all those people that have said don't mix the two (myself being one of them) have you mixed the two and actually seen what happens? If not, then we are only spouting heresay.

If you have actually mixed the two, what happened? OR if you have totally flushed the red out and put in the green....what happened?

I am starting to feel that if you flush the system extremely well then you should be able to refill with what you want.

The question I have now, is why do you want to?

At first I wanted to change to the green stuff simply because I have no experience with the red stuff. So, I learned through 1 terrible winter or multiple below freezing temps and NO PROBLEMS and yes I had toasty heat in my car when needed. This summer has yielded many days so far that are extremely hot, and no overheating!!

If anything the red stuff does not need to be changed as often and if you keep an eye on it as you do with all your fluids then there should be absolutely no problem.

Toyota has had aluminum blocks and aluminum heads for years even when there was no such thing as the red stuff. The green stuff worked fine as long as you kept an eye on it and changed it regularly (every two years is what we did).

I think we are all starting to sound like children at recess fighting over who's idea is better. I say we take our attitudes and shove them up our exhaust pipes and move on.

This is a website for learning not for fighting and bickering.

peace out to all of you.

steviej

(i know I am going to get flamed for this, but I had to speak my mind)

Sometimes cooler heads prevail.

Good words, and good points steviej.

I'm certainly the most guilty for trying to press my opinions.

Worst part is, I'm new to this forum and have been getting some very good information by many of you Lexus owners. The information has been invaluable, and I "blew it".

My knowledge and experience with automobiles of all types goes back about 25 years. Sometimes that's a good thing, but sometimes that's a bad thing.

The two 32ounce mixed drinks I had in celebration with my wife for our 21st wedding anniversary certainly didn't help either.

Jeff Hauck

Gresham, OR.

well as long as we all learned something

i didn't think any one was being argumentative

just staying with one world of thinking

i belive in evolving

i always like to mess around with things just to see what the out come is

but i am not too sure if i want to do this with my toy

congrates on the anniversary jhauck

to me the temp differnce of the coolants boil temp is good enough a reason for me

just like i use synthetic in my engine and power steering plus my tranny

i want my baby to last as long as she can without me paying to fix something

so the btter it is the more i am going to use it

all i kow is green can be changed to red but not the other way for reasons of some seals not being compatibale

i doubt there should be much problems with over heating uless you live in an extreme climate

i didn't want to add to more frustration that is why i didn't want to post again to this thread

but it seems like everyone has come to being on the same page

just depends on which path you feel will give you a higher yield over time

red or green

:D