Gs On 20's Without Lowering

Hey NEO,

What kind of a lip is that on the bottom of the front bumper. 

Where did u get it and how much?

Thanx

It is the TTE Front Lip. You can get it here:

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=501

NEO, who makes your wheels?  What are spec's?  I just put the Ruff Racing 279's on my car but I like how your wheels have the deep dish look.  The Ruff 279's I put on have the lip but the spokes are bowed out in the middle to clear the caliper, so the wheels do not look deep.  I want to keep the same size all the way around, currently 18x8.5.  Any other suggestions for wheels?

The rims are iForged Techniks. My fronts are 20x8.5 +43 high disk to fit my StopTechs. The rears are 20x10 +38 normal disk. This spec is why you see the larger lip in the rear. I had to shave half of my fender lip in the rear to accomodate this spec.

As for other suggestions, I'd need to know what you are looking for in terms of styles (mesh, multi spoke, dish, ...) and budget.

NEO, who makes your wheels?  What are spec's?  I just put the Ruff Racing 279's on my car but I like how your wheels have the deep dish look.  The Ruff 279's I put on have the lip but the spokes are bowed out in the middle to clear the caliper, so the wheels do not look deep.  I want to keep the same size all the way around, currently 18x8.5.  Any other suggestions for wheels?

The rims are iForged Techniks. My fronts are 20x8.5 +43 high disk to fit my StopTechs. The rears are 20x10 +38 normal disk. This spec is why you see the larger lip in the rear. I had to shave half of my fender lip in the rear to accomodate this spec.

As for other suggestions, I'd need to know what you are looking for in terms of styles (mesh, multi spoke, dish, ...) and budget.

NEO,

As for style, i like the multi-spoke look with as deep a dish as possible. I am open to various styles, though. I want something that looks sporty yet classy, not soo "open" that you see through the whole wheel and are staring at the brake and caliper and other hardware. If a spoked look, i like the thicker spoke, which is why I went with the 279's to begin with. However, I was considering a 10 spoke Borbet as well. If i could construct my own wheel, it would be a six/seven spoke similar in thickness to my 279's, with the deep dish look of your wheels, in a silver finish, maybe with a chrome/polished lip. I love the clean look of an all silver wheel (like the AMG Mercedez wheel). Which brings me to another question, I just bought these wheels and the lip is polished aluminum and it is already spotted up. That sucks. I paid $250 a wheel (i think I got hosed). How should I clean these things? I am using soap and water. Should I have gotten a chrome lip? As for budget, I would say max $500/wheel, but for the right wheel that is going to last a long time, i would say I am open. Keep in mind, I just dumped a chunk of money on the car, tint, spoiler and the first set of wheels and tires. Need to give the wife a little time to digest, or its going to cost me a tennis bracelet!

supercpa,

There are a number of options for you but I think I will do you an injustice if I subject you to my limited wheel selection knowledge. ;) I can recommend a couple of shops for you to contact and they can give you a better idea of a broader availability for your price point.

Contact

Derrick at http://www.d2autosport.com

Todd at http://www.tmengineering.net

D2 would be a good first stop since they specialize in wheels. Just to give you an example, my rims are brushed face with polished lips. They are along the lines of $700/rim.

supercpa,

There are a number of options for you but I think I will do you an injustice if I subject you to my limited wheel selection knowledge. ;)  I can recommend a couple of shops for you to contact and they can give you a better idea of a broader availability for your price point.

Contact

Derrick at http://www.d2autosport.com

Todd at http://www.tmengineering.net

D2 would be a good first stop since they specialize in wheels.  Just to give you an example, my rims are brushed face with polished lips.  They are along the lines of $700/rim.

Thanks NEO. It looks like you went without the rivets on yours, correct? Did you have a hard time getting these balanced?

Now that you guys have shamed me into lowering my car :cries: , which set would you recomend? I currently have 3 in gap in front on 20's

Tein S.Tech 1.7 in drop( I had tein coilovers on last car, were great, dont want to spend for coilovers.)

L-Tuned 1 in drop

Tanabe Sustec NF210 1.25-1.5 drop

Tanabe Sustec DF210 2 -2.5 drop (too much?)

Any others

The L-tuned dont seem like they would be enough, if went with them, is it advised to do the l-tuned shocks too?

Im looking to keep ride comfort, but like sporty feel too.

thanks p.s. i did search alot, but I'm looking for people with expirience with these and the differences.

You actually don't need that big of a drop on 20s so even the mild L-Tuned would look fine. It is better to get a good matching shock to go with the specs of aftermarket springs. This is one of the benefits of coilovers since the manufacturer has designed the two components to work well together.

Here is L-Tuned with just a front lip and 20s.

post-386-1123314269_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my Quartz Shadow Metallic GS430

It hasn't been lowered, but has 20" Armano Hampton rims.

DSC01569.jpg

As you can see the front has a lot of room for a drop, but the back is pretty much skin tight. It SCRAPES HORRIBLY everywhere i go. Even the smallest driveway. Whats really scraping is rubber on a metal strip inside the wheel well. The tire is being shaved away like butter. I cant have more than 2 passengers at a time, its really quite horrible. I dont know why they made the car this way. Automobile manufacturers aren't stupid, they know we mod our cars and put rims. How come the BMW 645 can fit 22's but my lexus barely fits 20's. Not fair :-(

As you can see the front has a lot of room for a drop, but the back is pretty much skin tight.  It SCRAPES HORRIBLY everywhere i go.  Even the smallest driveway.  Whats really scraping is rubber on a metal strip inside the wheel well.  The tire is being shaved away like butter.  I cant have more than 2 passengers at a time,  its really quite horrible.  I dont know why they made the car this way.  Automobile manufacturers aren't stupid, they know we mod our cars and put rims.  How come the BMW 645 can fit 22's but my lexus barely fits 20's.  Not fair :-(

Please don't blame the manufacturer. Between you and your wheel dealer, the wrong size (width and offset) was put on your car. The GS can put 20s on all day long as long as the specs are correct. What are the offsets and widths of the wheels? What are the tire specs?

06 GS430, not lowered....

i did a rims swap with a buddy,just for kicks, and now i have no problems with scraping, however the rims dont stick out anymore like they did before (i kind of liked that look, call me ghetto....) im planning on re-swapping to my originals, then selling them to get some sweet !Removed! HRE's, this time measured to fit ;-)

d48414ba.jpg

817a5461.jpg

scroll up the posts to see how my car looked with the old rims, any thoughts? which rims looked nicer? thanks.

Very nice. However, I like your previous rims more too.

I'm also in the minority that think it is not all *that* bad if you don't lower your car. I think it looks nicer lowered, but for a car that I drive daily, I would want it at stock height. I'm used to driving trucks, going through speed bumps (which btw I don't do on the GS) and flying through an intersection without putting on my brakes. And even at stock height, I hate the rubbing already on my 20' when I go through just a bit of uneven ground. I look at it as a hassle to come up on a speed bump and meanuvering through it. Not willing to sacrafice the looks for my habits just yet.

• 18 years later...
On 7/28/2005 at 12:32 AM, blue06gs said:

Heres my car. 2006 GS, not lowered and i think they look perfect. They rub a little in the front when making sharp turns but the tire only hits a plastic piece in the wheel well, not a big deal at all.....definately would rub all over if it was lowered. let me know what u think.

post-18508-1122528671_thumb.jpg

What size tires do you have on it? I have a 2000 Lexus ga 300 I’m putting 20 inch 150 spoke wire rims… Daytons… was trying to find a pic with them on there…