What In A Major Tune Up For The Rx300

bored7one4

can anyone tell me what need to be done on a major tuneup and how much parts and labor gonna cost me? Can i do it myself?

How many miles do you have on your RX300 ?

I just hit 60 K and the dealer wanted to do:

Oil Change

Transmission Flush

New Belts

Brakes

Tired Rotation

For = $500.00

I said hell no and am doing most of it my self plus im out of factory warrenty

so far I've spent

24.00 = on Transmission Oil

40.00 = on Brake Pads ( ceramic )

Tire Rotation = Free

35.00 = on Oil & Oil Filter ( Amsoil )

= 99.00

Still working on the belts but I dont think the belts are going to cost 400.00

Don't forget to check your PCV, just changed my today. $7 bucks and 5 minutes of time. Only thing to watch out for is that I know my local AutoZone has the wrong part in their computers and books for the PCV. I think from reading other links they've changed this part back and forth between the normal plastic kind for $2, to a metal screw-in for $7. My 2000 RX has the metal screw-in.

I'd also change the differental gear oil also if you're doing major maint. I've noticed a slight increase in gas mileage switching to Amsoil synthetic gear oil.

im about to hit the 70k miles. I just got this car for about two now and i just want a major tune up for peace of mind. Dont you can the spark plug and wire, roter cap , distrubitor?

You'll find a surprise if you go looking for all that stuff... There isn't any cap, rotor, wires. Looks as though it's a coil for each plug with no wires. As for the spark plugs; I realize that the Iridium tipped plugs are a bit expensive but $350 was the quote I got from the dealer to change them. When they do the rear bank of plugs they remove the intake manifold and then have to re-seal it!!! Good thing this doesn't need doing til the dealer recommended 90,000 miles. Mine has 157,000 on it and has original plugs.

90,000 was also the recommended time to change timing belt. I had an independant shop do this for about $500. The books allow for 6 hours labor to do this, and it was just about right.

Be careful working on it yourself, if you ruin something it'll be expensive as it seems most of the parts are "Dealer Only". Ouch!!!

Good Luck

im about to hit the 70k miles. I just got this car for about two now and i just want a major tune up for peace of mind. Dont you can the spark plug and wire, roter cap , distrubitor?

You'll find a surprise if you go looking for all that stuff... There isn't any cap, rotor, wires. Looks as though it's a coil for each plug with no wires. As for the spark plugs; I realize that the Iridium tipped plugs are a bit expensive but $350 was the quote I got from the dealer to change them. When they do the rear bank of plugs they remove the intake manifold and then have to re-seal it!!! Good thing this doesn't need doing til the dealer recommended 90,000 miles. Mine has 157,000 on it and has original plugs.

90,000 was also the recommended time to change timing belt. I had an independant shop do this for about $500. The books allow for 6 hours labor to do this, and it was just about right.

Be careful working on it yourself, if you ruin something it'll be expensive as it seems most of the parts are "Dealer Only". Ouch!!!

Good Luck

I agree with ERV if you’re confused on fixing something take it to a shop. Lexus parts are not readily available and are expensive. I had a caliper bolt brake on me the only place that carries the bolt is the dealer a 30 minute job ended up taking and entire weekend.

• 15 years later...

Hi Folks,

I just purchased a 2002 Lexus RX with 154K miles for 3300. A week after I bought it, I had to replace the AC Compressor and the Alternator which cost me about a $1000 with parts and labor.  Then 2 weeks later I come to find that i need to replace one of the engine coils which is located in the back of the engine which is hard to get to. So the mechanic says if you're going to replace one, you might as well replace the other 2 back there b/c it's a tough spot to get to. Each engine coil cost about $100 then after adding new spark plugs the job with labor is gonna cost me about $750. I figure I'm probably gonna need to add a battery, do a brake fluid flush, transmission flush, coolant flush so i'm not sure how much extra that's going to run me but my question is... Not to mention the airbag light is on and the VSC light is on as well. Is this thing worth keeping? Or should i just cut my losses now while i can? At this point I'm skeptical, what if the transmission fails on me, then i'll be really screwed. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

My 2002 RX300 has 145k.  I already did the 90k maintenance (at 97k) years ago...  which included the timing belt, brake fluid, etc.

I just spent an hour going through all my records:  no record of transmission fluid nor spark plugs.

Is it time for first time plugs and first time transmission fluid change? 
And should I change the brake fluid again?

And I hope the water pump lasts for ever.