Check Engine Light

stoliti

:blink:

WOW! I just bought my 97 LX450 with 97K miles with the check engine light on. I was told by many that it is typically a simple sensor that needs to be replaced. The dealer told me that they replaced the EGR sensor at the Lexus dealer recently. I took it to AutoZone and the computer read out said EGR. They also cleared my codes but they came back on the next day. I was told that the previous owner had been using low octane fuel and it was causing a carbon build up. Is there some kind of cleaner that I can buy to fix this? Also, it possible that something else can be causing the light to come on? I know there is a good chance that they DID NOT replace the sensor and I may have to do it myself.

But....since gas prices are also high, I believe that the previous user could have been using cheap fuel and causing a carbon build up.

Any suggestions or ideas as to what I should do first?

Stoliti~

I bought my 96 LX450 with 89,000 miles and have been using 87 octane since and have 130,000 now. I don't recall that the owners manual requires high octane for this engine. I've never had a problem with the engine light.

For cleaning the fuel system, you can't beat BG 44K. It costs about $15-18 for one treatment but it works wonders. (My local Toyota Dealer sells it, you won't find it at the local parts store) Even better, take it to a shop that performs BG service and have them do the full Fuel system cleaning. It cost $100+ but again, its worth the money.

Good luck!

:cheers:

Thanks! :D

I will try that. Is there any way that I can clean the EGR and put it back on or is it one of those sensitive items that "must" be replaced.

I bought my 96 LX450 with 89,000 miles and have been using 87 octane since and have 130,000 now.  I don't recall that the owners manual requires high octane for this engine.  I've never had a problem with the engine light.

For cleaning the fuel system, you can't beat BG 44K.  It costs about $15-18 for one treatment but it works wonders. (My local Toyota Dealer sells it, you won't find it at the local parts store)  Even better, take it to a shop that performs BG service and have them do the full Fuel system cleaning.  It cost $100+ but again, its worth the money.

Good luck!

:cheers:

IIRC, the EGR is a replacement part.

I've had good results with Redline's Total Fuel System Cleaner...but that won't fix the problem with your EGR. Any Lexus dealership should be able to pull up all service performed by a Lexus dealership in the past for your vehicle.

As already mentioned, the LX 450 does not require anything better than regular unleaded -- unless you have a supercharger installed.

ok, the code says:

"P0401

Troublecode OBDII (Alpha) P Code

Troubleshooting P0401

The PCM has determined that there is insufficient flow in the exhaust gas recirculation system"

What is the main cause of the EGR failing?

ok, the code says:

"P0401

Troublecode OBDII (Alpha) P Code

Troubleshooting P0401

The PCM has determined that there is insufficient flow in the exhaust gas recirculation system"

What is the main cause of the EGR failing?

In my case (and in a lot of the cases I've read), the P0401 was a result of a malfunctioning VSV for EGR (located under the air intake chamber). It was speculated that the code was being tripped because the EGR vacuum modulator (thing with the green cap next to the EGR) was malfuctioning and let to much carbon past and in turn causing the VSV to malfunction. So I replaced the vacuum modulator (the replacement OEM part...blue cap... is supposed to be better than original ones). Still got the CEL. Then I replaced the VSV for EGR, and no CEL since.

Rookie2

I hate to sound stupid but what is the VSV? So, I should replace the EGR valve, the vacuum modulator and the VSV?

I've seen Vacuum Sensing and Vacuum Solenoid Valve. I'm not for sure which one is correct.

I guess it's kind of up to you about how much to replace. I replaced the modulator (because some suggest to replace it with the newer version anyway) and VSV primarily because they were the two items I read as being the culprit most of the time, and also they're lower ticket items than the EGR. There are test procedures to check these items, but I was only able to do one of the tests with my setup so it was inconclusive.

For about $100 and a couple of hours of wrenching, you can change these two items out, so that's what I did. Turned out to be it for me.

• 5 months later...

Hi, I'm new to the forum, first post but have been reading threads for a couple of months. I recently purchased a 96 LX450 with 90K. Two weeks after purchase engine light came on, code showed catalytic converters. I took it to Lexus for confirmation, $2500-$2800. for converters and 1 ox sensor. Called Toyota dealership in hopes of better pricing, service manager ref. me to a local muffler shop. Shop tech at the muffler shop told me to run octane booster through the system and run premium full before replacing converters. I reset the engine light, added octane booster and have continued to run premium through the system. It's been one month and over 3K miles and the engine light has yet to come back on. Runs like a top averaging around 15-16 miles. On another note, read the post on detailing and decided to detail my LX, bought the products recommended, followed the directions and WoW! I am so happy with the results. You guys give great info on this site, all I can say is thanks.

post-22281-1137344408.jpg

Edited by zentoichi

I have had my LX450 for about a year and a half. I love this car and everything about it. The only problem is that my check engine light has come on for the second time. Lexy (my pet name for her) has 154,000 miles on her. The first time my light came on, it was the EGR (the dealer replaced the vacuum hoses). This time the light came on a few days after I had my oil changed. It stayed on for about two weeks, then went off by itself, now it is on again. I am aprehensive about taking it to the dealer, because I don't want to be charged alot of money for a minor problem. The car runs very well, but I wonder if any of you may have any ideas as to what it could be?

quote name='stoliti' date='Jul 25 2005, 01:50 PM' post='142750']

:blink:

WOW! I just bought my 97 LX450 with 97K miles with the check engine light on. I was told by many that it is typically a simple sensor that needs to be replaced. The dealer told me that they replaced the EGR sensor at the Lexus dealer recently. I took it to AutoZone and the computer read out said EGR. They also cleared my codes but they came back on the next day. I was told that the previous owner had been using low octane fuel and it was causing a carbon build up. Is there some kind of cleaner that I can buy to fix this? Also, it possible that something else can be causing the light to come on? I know there is a good chance that they DID NOT replace the sensor and I may have to do it myself.

But....since gas prices are also high, I believe that the previous user could have been using cheap fuel and causing a carbon build up.

Any suggestions or ideas as to what I should do first?

Stoliti~

How did you reset the check engine light???

Hi, I'm new to the forum, first post but have been reading threads for a couple of months. I recently purchased a 96 LX450 with 90K. Two weeks after purchase engine light came on, code showed catalytic converters. I took it to Lexus for confirmation, $2500-$2800. for converters and 1 ox sensor. Called Toyota dealership in hopes of better pricing, service manager ref. me to a local muffler shop. Shop tech at the muffler shop told me to run octane booster through the system and run premium full before replacing converters. I reset the engine light, added octane booster and have continued to run premium through the system. It's been one month and over 3K miles and the engine light has yet to come back on. Runs like a top averaging around 15-16 miles. On another note, read the post on detailing and decided to detail my LX, bought the products recommended, followed the directions and WoW! I am so happy with the results. You guys give great info on this site, all I can say is thanks.

I have had my LX450 for about a year and a half. I love this car and everything about it. The only problem is that my check engine light has come on for the second time. Lexy (my pet name for her) has 154,000 miles on her. The first time my light came on, it was the EGR (the dealer replaced the vacuum hoses). This time the light came on a few days after I had my oil changed. It stayed on for about two weeks, then went off by itself, now it is on again. I am aprehensive about taking it to the dealer, because I don't want to be charged alot of money for a minor problem. The car runs very well, but I wonder if any of you may have any ideas as to what it could be?

Hi, okay first an update on my last post. My light came back on. First thing I did was to go to my local AutoZone where they ran a free code check on the vehicle. I think the code came up p420 which pointed to catalytic converter issues. Lexus confirmed the same thing but it cost me $85. A tech at my local Toyota dealer referred me to a local muffler shop who replaced both converters in about 45 minutes for $300. Lexus quoted me between $2500 and $2800. My advice would be to go to an AutoZone or other auto parts store and ask them to run a diagnostic code check on it. That should point you in the right direction. I think the code has to be cleared using a diagnostic checker, there may be other ways to remove the light that others on the website know of. You can also purchase the code checker at autoparts stores and even WalMart. Good luck.

Toy - try Autozone for a code check. Get the code from them and post here what the code is. I have a factory service manual, so I can tell you what the code translates to.

The EGR might trigger a code -- it could be your O2 sensors...but there's no way to know until you find out what the code is.

I live in the sacramento area -- let me know if I can help.

An easy way to clear the code is to disconnect the negative cable from your battery for about 1 minute, then replace.

Cheers.

Edited by dougjohn2