Sc430 Pros And Cons?

mannye

Hello... first post so be gentle or at lesat lubricate first:

I am seriously thinking of making an SC430 my next car. I am looking at a used model and I would like to know if anyone can advise me of what to look for, as well as what the common problems are with these cars.

I am an audiophile and the thought that a manufacturer went to Mark Levinson Audio to equip its cars told me that Lexus was the car for me.

What was the first year these cars were made? 98? 99? I remember drooling over the Horsepower numbers.

TIA for any advice.

If you peruse previous posts using the search function you will find cowl shake with attending rattles as a major annoiance. Run flat tires are stiff and don't add to the comfort. Rear seat is good for carrying small objects. Style and grace are strong suits. I'd rather have a new Corvette.

If you peruse previous posts using the search function you will find cowl shake with attending rattles as a major annoiance. Run flat tires are stiff and don't add to the comfort. Rear seat is good for carrying small objects. Style and grace are strong suits. I'd rather have a new Corvette.

I'll second both of the annoyances; cowl shake, rattles and runflats that are horrible on the car. You will also find that the power is OK but not great. The transmission is sluggish in my opinion.

The paint on the car is very soft and susceptible to acid rain etching. I owned a 2004 and traded it with 1,750 miles on it. I was not pleased with the car. :censored::censored::censored:

Dom,

I am an audiophile that wants a convertible...so the Mark Levinson option is a plus when viewed by in light of the sacrafices one has to make when buying a "ragtop" or tintop in this case..

I am very dissapointed to hear about cowl shake. A car at this price level should be rock solid. I am especially surprised that a Lexus would have these problems. Is the cowl shake a platform-wide problem, or might it be limited to earlier years?

I guess I would have to spend some time in the cockpit to guage that for myself. Thanks for the input!

• 1 year later...

I recently became the owner of an SC430 (2002) and am quite pleased with it.

I bought it used with 19K miles on it for 38K. I cannot comment on tire wear as the tires had just been changed but from what I hear the run-flat tires do wear out pretty quick. When the time comes I may try the non-run flat since I mainly use this car as a toy for weekends and going back and forth to work.

The paint still looks new, mine was in a garage (still is) and maybe that helped. When I waxed it for the first time it did seem "rough" but I then used a clay bar on it and the paint is now smooth as glass.

As far as rattles go, I have yet to hear any, I find the car is very tight and when the top is up I can seen no difference between it and a full hard top.

Gas mileage is very good (IMO). I usually average 25 - 27 MPG with the top down.

Acceleration is wicked quick.

The back seat is pretty much worthless but I knew this when I was looking at the car. I still have my SUV for the kids and a van.

Try this: Goto this site http://www.carreview.com/mfr/lexus/luxury-...53_1529crx.aspx and read the reviews on the Lexus.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my 2002 for three years now. It's got 49k miles on it and had 12,000 on it when I bought it. Love, love, love the car. I have the runflats on, too. Things here and there (speakers needed replacing, 02 sensors)...but overall it is fantastic. Yes, every now and then it rattles, big deal. Turn the music up, put the top down and a smile on your face---life is good.

Hey hawaiilex,

Glad to see I am not the only one who likes his SC430! My wife and I took our 2002 out this weekend on a date. After dining out we got in the car and I pressed the top button to take it down. As it was doing it's thing I looked to my left and a couple was watching and the guy literally had his face plastered against his cars window looking like a kid outside a toy store! It was hilarious!

The only thing I wish the car would do is let me lower the top from the key ring, that would be awesome!

But I am very pleased with it....

post-29310-1156287689_thumb.jpg I purchased a 03 about 7 months ago and have figured out that it dosen't get much nicer than this vehicle. Yes there are creaks and little noises coming from the top and leather seats but I assure that you will probably never get the gawks and stares as well as points on a date with another vehicle in this price range($37k) :cheers:

post-29310-1156287689_thumb.jpg I purchased a 03 about 7 months ago and have figured out that it dosen't get much nicer than this vehicle. Yes there are creaks and little noises coming from the top and leather seats but I assure that you will probably never get the gawks and stares as well as points on a date with another vehicle in this price range($37k):cheers:

You may want to try lubricating the rubber door and top seals with a good protectant (I suggest Sonus Total Eclipse). I had this weird creaking in my LS and the dealer told me that the seals sometimes dry out after a while. Since I have been lubricating the rubber with the STE the creaks are gone!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just picked up my 2002. 41,000 miles. No squeeks or rattles. Forget using car in snow. Run-flats are somewhat stiffer and do wear out quicker from what I hear. I am thinking about getting non runflats. Run flats cannot be repaired. If you are on a trip and get a flat, getting to a gas station or dealer is usually not a problem. The problem is if they have the tire you need in stock. Price, at least $300. Expensive flat wouldn't you say. Around 10-15000 miles. If you buy snow tires, you will have to get additional sensors for tire pressure or put up with the bells and whistles of not having th sensors hooked up to the computer correctly. If you buy sensors from someone else other than Lexus, expect to have Lexus match the tire to the sensor for a charge. That is the only time the bells and whistles will stop. rom what I have read, each sensor has a battery which does expire. When battery dies, it cannot be repalced. You have to buy a new sensor. Possibly a better place to buy would be on ebay. Gas mileage is good depending on how you drive. Right around 25 mph. If you decide to change to non-run-flats, a spare and all the accessories will cost you around $650. Saw one on sale from a Lexus dealer in Texas on ebay. Of course, there goes the little luggage room that you had. Looks of the car are awesome. The certified warranty (if you buy from a dealer) is the way to go. BUT!!! It is not transferable.