Thought You Should Know

i thought i'd share this with the group,

i own a 97 sc 300 with 121k

i changed my oil a few weeks back and added Z-MAX microlubricant oil treatment. this stuff is bad !Removed!!!!

i was getting usually 18-20 mpgdepending on where i go, i got it above 24mpg and that was just the average, the conditions for my car are horrible, constant A/C, and rediculous bumper-to-bumper stop and go traffic in the blistering humidity of south florida....and on top of all that theres me,.... leaving the ECT on for days at a time, and driving like a car thief quite often,

on my last tank of gas i filled it up and reset the car's mpg counter and drive at night (using my other car for work), not running the A/C or ECT and ended up with 27.6mpg

plus my car is a little beat up and old so when i start the car i let it warm up until it drops to atleased 900rpm and that drops the mpg average as it sits, so it would be more than 27.6.

check it out though http://www.zmax.com/

get the set, its got the oil treatment, gas additive, tranny additive, and a 2-cycle mix for lawn mowers and weed-wackers

its greatstuff

Is there a BS flag icon around here? Wait, here's one bs.gif

Snake oil junk is all it is. Here's some food for thought from my other board. Enjoy.

http://www.corral.net/forums/search.php?searchid=977441

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/02/zmax1.htm

For Release: February 1, 2001

FTC Sues Speedway Motorsports and Oil-Chem Subsidiary

Performance Claims For zMax Auto Additives Are Unsubstantiated, FTC Charges

The Federal Trade Commission has filed suit in U. S. District Court seeking to halt false and misleading advertising for zMax auto additives and has asked the court to order refunds to consumers who bought the products. The agency alleges that enhanced performance claims for the product are unsubstantiated, that tests cited to support performance claims actually demonstrated that motor oil treated with zMax produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion than motor oil alone, and that the three different products - an engine additive, a fuel line additive and a transmission additive - were all actually tinted mineral oil. zMax is manufactured by Oil-Chem, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Speedway Motorsports, Inc. Speedway, based in Concord, North Carolina, operates NASCAR race tracks in the South and in California, in addition to marketing the zMax products.

According to the FTC complaint, since at least May 1999, zMax ran infomercials touting its "Power System," a $39 package of three additives to be used in the engine, fuel line and transmission of automobiles. The infomercials feature testimonials from consumers and race car drivers making claims such as, "I was averaging about 22 miles to the gallon on the highway. I installed the zMax and so I jumped right up to about 28 miles per gallon;" and "zMax guarantees a minimum of 10 percent gas mileage increase." Other marketing and promotional pieces claim, "zMax with LinKite has the scientific, CRC L38 proof it takes your car to the MAX!" and "Why zMAX Works - Cuts carbon build-up on valve stems 66%; Lowers wear on valve stems 66%; Lowers wear on piston skirts 60%; Reduces blow-by leakage 17.7%; Increases combustion efficiency 9.25%; Lowers fuel consumption 8.5% - Results of an independent CRC L38 test."

According to the FTC, the CRC L38 test is a standard auto industry tool to measure the bearing corrosion protection properties of motor oils. In February/March 1997, an independent laboratory performed two CRC L38 tests of zMax for Speedway and Oil Chem. In those tests, motor oil treated with zMax produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion as motor oil alone. The complaint also states that the defendants fabricated one "report" from the two test reports, eliminating the bearing corrosion results and all other negative test results, and then used that report and the "official laboratory results" - similarly edited to remove detrimental data results - as sales tools in the infomercial and on the zMax Web site.

The FTC's complaint alleges that the defendants did not possess and rely on reasonable substantiation for the following claims in the infomercial, on the Web site and in brochures that zMax:

increases gas mileage;

increases gas mileage by a minimum of 10%

reduces engine wear;

reduces or eliminates engine wear at startup;

reduces engine corrosion;

extends engine life; and

reduces emissions.

The agency's complaint also alleges that the defendants falsely represent that the results of the CRC L38 test proved that zMax:

increases gas mileage;

reduces engine wear;

extends engine life;

lowers fuel consumption by 8.5%

lowers wear on valve stems by 66%

lowers wear on piston skirts by 60%; and

cuts carbon build-up on valve stems by 66%.

Finally, the FTC charges that in consumer testimonials and endorsements in their advertising, the defendants did not have substantiation for the representation that the endorsers' experiences were, "The actual and current opinions, findings, beliefs, and/or experiences of those consumers; and the typical or ordinary experience of members of the public who use the product."

The FTC is asking the court to bar the defendants from violating the FTC Act, which prohibits deceptive acts and to order consumer redress or require that they give up their ill-gotten gains.

This case is the latest in a series of FTC law-enforcement initiatives targeting unsubstantiated claims made by auto additive manufacturers. The FTC previously halted allegedly deceptive advertising by the marketers of Dura Lube, Motor Up, Prolong, Valvoline, Slick 50, and STP, other major brands of engine treatment products.

The Commission vote to file the complaint was 5-0. It was filed in U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina, in Greensboro, January 31, 2001.

funny, i dont remember asking for feed-back on this subject,......

but can i ask either of you two for your preference in additives?

I remember reading that report a while back and made the decision that I would never put mineral oil in any car that I owned. If I wanted to I would go to my local drug store and save myself alot of $ and there wouldn't be any dyes either. SNAKEOIL AT IT'S FINEST. LOL :lol::lol::lol:

Funny, this is a public internet forum, what did you think would happen? People to accept your bull*BLEEP* claim with no proof?

I only use Seafoam to keep it clean, but using an additive to boost power? Yeah, ok....

Same here. Seafoam is great stuff. My Dad and Grandpa swear by this IXL stuff, but I honestly don't want to rely on ANY additive. I run Amsoil, and always will. It's proven to me many times that it's worth running in all my cars.

but can i ask either of you two for your preference in additives?

By posting here ,you actually where asking for feedback.

Lexus owners usually don;t take anything at face value ,want value for their money and not a moment of value for a lifetime of misery.

Pretty much sums up why we all own one.

I liek seafoam also it works and is just a methanol/alchol cleaner.

It is effected but not perfect as it naturally vapourizes under heat.

calm down kiddies im just making a statement, and ohh texan check the date on that FTC letter? look for a revised one written on march 20, 2003, im not an invester, co-owner or whatever- im sharing info ive learned, im not asking for credit card numbers...

im just saying i know it works, we use it at my job, not 'Z-MAX' its a different microlubricant we use on sensitive lab equiptment. same stuff

Snake Oil or not, anybody that disputes your gas mileage gains would be calling you a liar, now wouldn't he?

Oh, and as far as Seafoam goes, it's nowhere near as effective as GM Top End Cleaner.

Nissan / Infiniti owners manuals advise "Just Say No" to any kind of fuel, oil or coolant additives. At one time Nissan made it's own fuel injector cleaner but discontinued it after switching to it's "Just Say No" policy on additives. I agree with Nissan / Infiniti's policy and havn't used any additives in my '92 fuel injected Toyota pickup for 465,200 trouble free miles. I have always used high detergent Premium gas, however (like Chevron Premium or Shell V-Power Premium) so that may be why I've never had any fuel injector problems.

You got better gas mileage because you didn't run the A/C. You also drove at night, which would typically have less traffic than during the day.

You're not making a fair comparison before and after using Z-max.

And I don't trust any of this snake oil crap. Although I do have a bottle of Z-MOX I could sell you. Guaranteed to have you go faster, because your wallet will be lighter. Wallet lighter = less weight. Less weight = more speed. Special instructions also say to do a number 2 in the bathroom and go on a Lindsay Lohan diet.

And I don't trust any of this snake oil crap.  Although I do have a bottle of Z-MOX I could sell you.  Guaranteed to have you go faster, because your wallet will be lighter.  Wallet lighter = less weight.  Less weight = more speed.  Special instructions also say to do a number 2 in the bathroom and go on a Lindsay Lohan diet.

hahaha :lol:

Man, Lohan looks rank now :wacko:

You could add one of those Turbinators(?) or even an electric supercharger and really make some power!  :blink: Add some nitrogen in your tires and you'd really be sippin gas.

If you put racing stripe on the car it will go faster. :lol::lol::lol:

Hey, back off the Tornado. NASCAR approves it, so it's obviously the best thing since lead based paint.

That is the biggest scam since Watergate. Where else can you buy a $1.99 piece of scrap metal for $59.99? Only in America buddy ;) :lol:

You got better gas mileage because you didn't run the A/C.  You also drove at night, which would typically have less traffic than during the day. 

You're not making a fair comparison before and after using Z-max. 

And I don't trust any of this snake oil crap.  Although I do have a bottle of Z-MOX I could sell you.  Guaranteed to have you go faster, because your wallet will be lighter.  Wallet lighter = less weight.  Less weight = more speed.  Special instructions also say to do a number 2 in the bathroom and go on a Lindsay Lohan diet.

wait a min dom, i miss-wrote that first part its 24 mpg with a/c and stop-and-go,... ect

27 at night without a/c and driving like grandma-

and its not liquid horse power i wasnt implying that-

dont any of you use any of that? i mean ive owned a few clunkers and a ford, some really ragged jalopies im talkin about. had this one 86 gmc pickup with 255k and a spun berring on the crank shaft my old-man told me to pour some lucas oil treatment and marvel mistery oil in it, this didnt get rid of the knock but it made it a hell of a lot quieter, and the truck lived to see 300k.

i learned from alot of old-timers and they swear by some of that stuff- pro-long, slick50 all of that,...

i know most of you dont care but, but they been doing it a while

24mpg w/ A/C versus 27mpg w/o A/C?

You restated what you said in the first post. MPG will always be better w/o the use of A/C.

Slick50, ProLong and all of those other products are nothing more than your basic re-bottled fuel system cleaners and other "oils". The only fuel system cleaner I use on occasion, is the one made by Chevron. That product works. Not as great as having your injectors sent out for cleaning, but not everyone has the luxury of being able to have some down time w/ their cars.

Z-Max...includes a fuel system cleaner, an oil treatment, and a tranny fluid treatment. Well, if you are your average non-auto enthusiast...odds are...they've NEVER cleaned their fuel system before. Of course they will seemingly experience better pickup as well as better mileage w/ the use of a fuel system cleaner. At the very least, the fuel system cleaner works.

The oil treatment...really is just your standard thin weight oil. Possibly a 0W30 or a 2-stroke oil...similar to Marvel's Mystery Oil. It doesn't do much. Any car that is burning a bit of oil...you may as well just top off your engine w/ half a quart of oil. You'll feel the same effect. In fact, there is a possibility that these oil treatments reduce the effectiveness of the protection of your current oil. You really don't use this stuff at the start of a fresh oil change, do you? To really "feel" a difference, you use this stuff...possibly halfway into your next oil change...like 1,500 miles. Any "new" oil introduced w/ the current black sludgy oil...will produce a slightly better compression.

The tranny treatment. This stuff is a joke. That is like topping off the tranny fluid. If you're doing that,...try flushing your tranny fluid next time. All trannys operate better on "fresh" fluid.

All this for roughly $40!!!! http://www.zmax.com/products/automotive.html Z-Max is making quite a hefty markup for that stuff.

Chevron fuel system cleaner - $10

Valvoline Oil Treatment - $7 (all it is, is a heavy weight oil...like 20W50)

1 bottle of tranny fluid - possibly $8.

I'm still at $25. That is a $15 profit based on the shelf prices, not the wholesale price!!!! With this money, you can purchase an air filter and a set of spark plugs too.

Like I said, I have a bottle of Z-MOX I could sell you. I'll charge you the same price as them. With the money you just spent, you will not be able to afford as much food. Therefore you will be lighter. Your wallet will be lighter. And your car will be faster.

More food for thought:

http://www.slick50.com/faq.htm

"Will Slick 50® Engine Treatment make the engine indestructible to thermal breakdown? No, Slick 50® Engine Treatment is designed to protect against friction and heat. Slick 50® Engine Treatment cannot be used to repair parts that are at the failing point or any pre-existing problems."

"Will Slick 50® Annual Automatic Transmission Formula stop my automatic transmission from slipping? No, Slick 50® Automatic Transmission Formula Formula is designed to help prevent seal leaks, enhance fluid performance and protect against oxidation of the fluid. Slick 50® Automatic Transmission Formula will not correct any pre-existing mechanical problems."

So if there is no pre-existing mechanical problems...WHY would you want to add anything to a perfectly running machine? In short, you don't. You don't buy a brand new BMW and start dumping this stuff into your car right? You only use this stuff on cars that you know are experiencing some "problems". Therefore, there is a pre-existing mechanical problem.

Get what I'm saying?