Help with Alignment/Chassis Mods

Larry M

Hi

I am new to Lexus and this forum. I have already learned a lot by just lurking. Thanks

I would like to improve the straight ahead stability of my 2002 GS300. When I cruise I-5 (which I am often forced to do) the car has a tendency to wander. When I drive curvy mountain roads (which is a lot more fun) I have no complaints.

Is re-aligning the wheels with a bit more caster or toe in worth considering?

I see there are aftermarket chassis mods such as tower bars and lower body braces availabe. Are any of these worth considering? I would rather not increase the spring rates. I am old enough that I appreciate the comfy ride.

How about tires? The car came with Bridgestone Turanzas.

Thanks

Larry

While strut tower bars and anti-sway bars and the like do provide more rigidity, I might suggest considering some other options also. Consider polurethane bushing replacements. Also lowering the car with some quality spring/shock combinations can provide for better tracking depending on the application. Wider tires/wheels will help also. There is anything on the market that enough demand exists for. I'm not all to big on strut and sway bars. The stock components are usually sufficient and allow for adjustment in their stock form.

Don't get me wrong, these bars can/may provide significant feedback and performance on certain automobiles. They provide a enhanced look and if they are at a good price - more power to ya! Welcome.

Hi

Thanks again for your inputs.

I am researching the (really rather) minor problem.

I adjusted the steering rack and pinion preload. It was a little loose, so the play in the steering wheel is a little less. To my surprise the rack and pinion is the same unit as I had on my Toyota Cressida, which is OK, it was as good car.

I think I will play with the alignment before I spend a lot of money on parts.

Larry

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Modifiy the alignment... humm,.. You are on target, but the range is limited, however, worthwhile. Look, the car is sound. The wider the tire, the more tendency toward 'groove tracking'. If the car is solid , as to bushing, joints, bearings, etal then the tires are usually the issue. Sway bars - tower braces are great objectives when the vehicle is asked to turn. Tires and tire pressure may be closer to the 'cruising' issue on the decaying slabs of the interstate. :rolleyes:

all these mods sound great but the real issue is the car should not have a wandering attitude at all

just wondering what speeds are you doing that find the wander at ?

the alignment changes would be great but then changes the character of the car and its suspension

also causing uneven wear on the tires

lowering the car would help alot but maybe there is a suspension problem causing the wander such as a ball joint worn out

Hi

I am new to Lexus and this forum. I have already learned a lot by just lurking. Thanks

I would like to improve the straight ahead stability of my 2002 GS300. When I cruise I-5 (which I am often forced to do) the car has a tendency to wander. When I drive curvy mountain roads (which is a lot more fun) I have no complaints.

Is re-aligning the wheels with a bit more caster or toe in worth considering?

I see there are aftermarket chassis mods such as tower bars and lower body braces availabe. Are any of these worth considering? I would rather not increase the spring rates. I am old enough that I appreciate the comfy ride.

How about tires? The car came with Bridgestone Turanzas.

Thanks

Larry

If you liek i would be able to help you on this matter. PM and we can talk more.. :D

I have done all of the stuff you stated. I think i could point in the direction you want to go. :cheers: