Y-pipe Crack Lx450

BobLX450

Just joined this great forum and am proud owner of a 97 LX450-very few here in Canada

Problem is it is sounding very throaty-not proper for a LEXUS-and the split is right at the Crotch of the Y-pipe off the manifold-fully visible from the front right wheel well.

Dealer up here wants $1300 for the part alone-and I just can't justify(or afford) that. Seems that we get terribly hosed for parts up here

Has anyone had this problem-any solutions???-welding is a short term option I suppose

Someone told me that there was some secret warranty on this-any one heard of this

Would appreciate any help

• 3 weeks later...

Just joined this great forum and am proud owner of a 97 LX450-very few  here in Canada

Problem is it is sounding very throaty-not proper for a LEXUS-and the split is right at the Crotch of the Y-pipe off the manifold-fully visible from the front right wheel well.

Dealer up here wants $1300 for the part alone-and I just can't justify(or afford) that. Seems that we get terribly hosed for parts up here

Has anyone had this problem-any solutions???-welding is a short term option I suppose

Someone told me that there was some secret warranty on this-any one heard of this

Would appreciate any help

I would try to weld it. Your not out anything and it might last forever, do a good job :)

It depends on where it is broken.

the Y-pipe has 2 flex joint which is probably the source of the leak.

The reason why it costs so much is because your cats are connected to them.

I have not seen the LX exhaust system so i cannot say with any confidence what can be done.

If possible a good exhaust shop can remove the broken flex's and replace them by welding them in.

You need to get it checked by an exhaust shop to get options though.