Steering Wheel Swap

Hey guys. I've got a worn out steering wheel in my '95 sc300 and I was wondering if it was possible to swap it out with the leather and wood steering wheel the newer lexus' use.

Has anyone tried this with success and what year lexus will swap out directly without modification?

btw, would that be possible with the autmomatic gear shift knob as well?

Steering Wheels: American Stitches offers a wood-leather steering wheel restoration kit for the SC300 and SC400. The wood is a graphic, but matches the factory wood trim nicely. This is a send-in modification so if your SC is your daily driver, you'll need to arrange a loaner steering wheel while yours is away.

You can also replace your current steering wheel with any 1992-2001 Lexus steering wheel and any pre-2001 Lexus air bag. The advantage of this mod is that newer Lexus steering wheels come in three-spoke designs and wood-grain inserts. Finding the wheel is easy enough, but matching airbags are harder to come by and much pricier. Note that all 2001+ air bags are dual-stage deployment, which will not work with the SC's single stage system. The exception to the rule is the 2001 RX air bag, which is still a single-stage. Since the wiring harnesses are different on newer air bags, some basic wire splicing is required. Also note that four-spoke wheels between different models of Lexus do vary in size so fitting, for example, an LS400 four-spoke air bag on an ES300 four-spoke wheel will not match up perfectly, or at all. The same goes for three-spoke wheels and air bags. Also note that the gray leather on newer steering wheels looks a lot like the brownish leather on tan interior SCs, but they are not the same color! It's hard to notice by itself, but apparent once installed.

Another steering wheel option is the TRD three-spoke wheel for the Supra. This is a direct bolt on also, however they only come in black leather with black or colored inserts. No tan or gray is offered.

:cheers:

A lot of great info. You've got my thanks. Would TAP recycling be the best option for finding a used wheel?

I definently would prefer the actual wood trim on the wheel but to splice the wiring for a new airbag seems costly, especially if the dealer is involved. Does anyone have pics of the one with the wood graphic print on it? figure it's worth a look at least.

A lot of great info.  You've got my thanks.  Would TAP recycling be the best option for finding a used wheel?

I definently would prefer the actual wood trim on the wheel but to splice the wiring for a new airbag seems costly, especially if the dealer is involved.  Does anyone have pics of the one with the wood graphic print on it?  figure it's worth a look at least.

TAP would be a good source, but I don't think they have anything right now. Or they didn't. I called a couple months ago looking for the same thing, and I don't think they had anything.

I had my wheel redone in the wood/leather. You would not believe the upgrade difference it makes to the look of the interior. I highly recommend.

But, as stated, you will need to have alternate transportation for about 3-4 weeks unless you can grab a junk yard steering wheel to use in the meantime.

I had my wheel redone in the wood/leather.  You would not believe the upgrade difference it makes to the look of the interior.  I highly recommend.

But, as stated, you will need to have alternate transportation for about 3-4 weeks unless you can grab a junk yard steering wheel to use in the meantime.

I hesitated to reply to this thread because it seemed like you wanted to replace your steering wheel. But other replys talk about alternatives. So, my alternative is a wheelskin.

Here are a couple of pics to show you the result. Remember, this is a $50.00 part.

Also, I am including a pic of the interior so that you can see why I chose this two toned wheel skin. BTW, it looks and feels like real leather because it is real leather.

post-17060-1122131171_thumb.jpg

post-17060-1122131194_thumb.jpg

Who redid your wheel (Dahozzman and did you follow the steps that Sadistic stated?

I liked the other options but I reallly would like the feel of real wood and new leather. Damn those dealers and there loaner cars. Those '05 three spoke wheels would be killer inside a '95 coupe so I'm trying to get the next best thing.

If you have pics, please post.

Thanks guys.

• 1 year later...

Who redid your wheel (Dahozzman and did you follow the steps that Sadistic stated?

I liked the other options but I reallly would like the feel of real wood and new leather. Damn those dealers and there loaner cars. Those '05 three spoke wheels would be killer inside a '95 coupe so I'm trying to get the next best thing.

If you have pics, please post.

Thanks guys.

I know this is an old topic but i still have unanswered questions. I have been searching for a new wood steering wheel. I have searched ebay and found lexus steering wheels ranging from $40 to $475 and i have no clue in the difference and which one will work with my 95' sc400. Any suggestions, thoughts?