'90 Ls400 Door Handle

basher_boy

My outside driver's door handle broke on me. The white metal just gave up. I have been unable to locate a replacement handle anywhere for it, when I got to thinking that the ES series problably has the same handle, and maybe some other toyota types.

Anyone out there know which cars might have handles that would work?

Basher_boy

My passenger side handle use to kind of stick up when opening the door sometimes. I sprayed some silicone up in there and now it doesn't stick up. It's still got a sticking point when opening the door but it goes back down now. I wish I could fix it. Is this common?

Luckily, the handles on my 90 400 are fine, I haven't noticed any sticking. Here is a suggestion, I looked at mine and other than the lock, the front and back door handles are the same. Perhaps you could switch out the handle mechanism until you locate one. Most people don't carry many people around in the back anyway. Just a thought. Denny

Yeah the rear hinge mount is completley broken through. The front one is still solid, but the hinge sticks because it binbs with the top of the door dedent. I ttok the whole unit out and tried to rig/repair it, but no luck. If it was steel I could just weld it.

I have never had an old car that didn't have a driver's side door handle bust. It is a very heavily used part of the car, almost always made of plastic or white metal.

I have found several handles, but none white, so I will keep trying, I had hoped that the handle might be shared with another car, so I could open up my search parameters.

Thanks

Have you checked with a Lexus dealer?

I had all the handles replaced several years ago by a Lexus dealer on my 90 LS, long after my original warrenty had expired, and it was as if Toyota had recognized a problem and was almost giving them away -- quite inexpensive.

Luckily, the handles on my 90 400 are fine, I haven't noticed any sticking. Here is a suggestion, I looked at mine and other than the lock, the front and back door handles are the same. Perhaps you could switch out the handle mechanism until you locate one. Most people don't carry many people around in the back anyway. Just a thought. Denny

Yeah, that's a good idea. Not many people ride in the back of my car. It's usually 1 passenger in the front. Is it easy taking these handles off and putting them back on?

I haven't taken mine apart because they are still fine. I did look at it and decided it would be a royal pain because it usually comes down to taking the inner door panel off. Well in the Lexus you can bet there is a million wires and connectors. All that stuff will be packed with sound deadening. I'm sure I could get it apart. Getting it back together is another story. I've done them on Chevy's and stuff but never on the Lex. Door panels drive me nuts! I'm replacing the interior on my 66 Cutlass and even on that, the door panels are frustrating.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just purchased a 91 LS400 (love it). Well maintained car but a few small problems. One is the right door lock will lock with the remote and the door switch but will not unlock. I have not solved that problem yet. The other was the Driver Door handle (same problem as yours). If you look up into the handle as you open the door you will see that the metal has broken away on both sides which is causing it to scrub on the door. I knew I would not be happy with a handle from a junkyard and the color match would not be correct. So I ordered a new handle from my Local Lexus dealer over the phone and it arrived at me door about a week later via UPS. Perfect color match and I am going to have it installed by a local store that installs and repairs keyless enty systems. The handle cost me with shipping around $ 185.00. I suspect I will pay $ 50.00 for the install. I will let you know. :D

I just purchased a 91 LS400 (love it). Well maintained car but a few small problems. One is the right door lock will lock with the remote and the door switch but will not unlock. I have not solved that problem yet. The other was the Driver Door handle (same problem as yours). If you look up into the handle as you open the door you will see that the metal has broken away on both sides which is causing it to scrub on the door. I knew I would not be happy with a handle from a junkyard and the color match would not be correct. So I ordered a new handle from my Local Lexus dealer over the phone and it arrived at me door about a week later via UPS. Perfect color match and I am going to have it installed by a local store that installs and repairs keyless enty systems. The handle cost me with shipping around $ 185.00. I suspect I will pay $ 50.00 for the install. I will let you know. :D

Dude, $185? That is expensive.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, mine also has the lock but no unlock problem on the passenger side. Had the same problem in a 1991 Toyota that I had. The mechanism inside wears out, and wont pop it loose remotely. Shop says $400 to fix it, so I've been stalling.

Well, the JB Weld appears to be working! Of course, I'll be a little gentle opening the door from now on, but it seems solid.

I spent about an 1 1/2 - 2 hours doing the whole job (with 20+ hours of epoxy curing time in the middle), but I could take at least a half hour off that now that I know what I'm doing!

Putting the door panel back on was a little tricky...it helps to have another person support the panel while you orient it to the pins/holes.

Here's what the handle looks like with the JB Weld on it (Yeah, I really laid it on there)

HandleBack.jpg

and here's what the door looks like with the panel off.

PanelOff.jpg

Anyway, looks like I saved myself the cost of a new handle and and hour or two of mechanic labor...good deal! :cheers:

Joe

Yeah, I've used JB Weld on a few things. It's pretty good but it's not the fix all like it wants to advertise. It says on the package that some farmer fixed a cracked engine block with it or something. I dunno about that? I put some on my 4-speed Ford F250 shifting knob because it came off in the hot weather last summer. It hasn't come off since last fall. I don't drive it unless I'm towing my boat or moving.

Just be extra careful so you don't bust the weld. Consider it like a pretty tough ceramic but not like a actual metal weld. Good job!