Bike Hitch

trishmcm

I would like to tow our bikes, but I don't have a hitch. I don't want to buy one from the dealer. Can someone help? P.S. My car came with the "hitch bracket which includes wiring harness, converter and sub-bracket" - I didn't realize that that meant I still have to buy the hitch!

I would recommend a Draw-Tite hitch.

To carry our bikes we bought the Bauer Vehicle Guard swing away rack, which lets you open the rear hatch without having to take off the bikes. It was fairly expensive but very sturdy and well worth it. We bought the extra 2 bike attachment and the anti-rattle bars.

BVG_Rev_Rack_Shot.jpg

I would recommend a Draw-Tite hitch. 

To carry our bikes we bought the Bauer Vehicle Guard swing away rack, which lets you open the rear hatch without having to take off the bikes.  It was fairly expensive but very sturdy and well worth it.  We bought the extra 2 bike attachment and the anti-rattle bars.

I'd only recommend using a hanging bike rack if you bought your bike at Walmart. They will eventually scratch your bike either at the grip point or as the bikes bang together as you are driving down the road. I know about the gizmos to reduce bike swing, but they don't eliminate it.

Yakima has to great hitch racks that hold bikes more securely and safely. Go to http://www.yakima.com/ and check out the Hitchfork or Hookup rack (both are rear hitch racks).

The BVG that we bought came with a lot of hollow foam tubin to put over the bikes where they touched. Where they were attached to the rack, there are no scratches or marks. The anti rattle bars include a set of tie down ropes that go through the spokes of the tires and then back to the rack itself to eliminate all swinging.

The BVG that we bought came with a lot of hollow foam tubin to put over the bikes where they touched.  Where they were attached to the rack, there are no scratches or marks.  The anti rattle bars include a set of tie down ropes that go through the spokes of the tires and then back to the rack itself to eliminate all swinging.

Good luck with that over time. I doubt you'll ever see Lance putting his bike on a hanging car rack, nor have I seen any hanging racks on the chase vehicles for The Tour de France. But if you're comfortable with your rack, that is all that matters.

Good luck with that over time.  I doubt you'll ever see Lance putting his bike on a hanging car rack, nor have I seen any hanging racks on the chase vehicles for The Tour de France.  But if you're comfortable with your rack, that is all that matters.

Well this is very true, but I am not a hardcore road biker; just the occasional trip to the canal for a cruise. B)

Good luck on finding the rack best suited for whatever youre bike needs are.

:cheers:

• 4 months later...

This info may be coming to you a bit late but look at the Sportworks T2 rack. There is no equal to the quality, stability and versatility of this rack. I can carry a road bike (girlfriends) and my 42 pound DH race rig on the same rack.

Get a hitch and buy the 2" version.

Tom

• 1 year later...
Does anyone know if either the Yakima Kingpin or Thule Roadway hitch mount racks drop low enough to allow the door to swing?

MrT

Either should work, but you might want to email them just to double check. I have never seen a tilt down bike carrier not tilt down far enough to allow a rear gate to open. Just remember to remove your bikes prior to tilting the carrier down so nothing on the vehicle or bikes are damaged (nothing like having a pedal scratch in your bumper!). Happy Trails!

The GX rear door swings open like the other four doors it is not a hatch like the RX , that's why I am wondering if it will clear.

Hmmmmm, I went onto both Yakima's & Thule's websites & searched products by vehicle. Both of the carriers you picked out are showing that they will work on your GX. But neither website tell you the degree of the tilt, so I can see why you're questioning the swing open door. You might want to email them to verify. I worked with Thule products for years & I'd call to be 100%. Maybe someone with one of the carriers with the GX will respond in the meantime to say thumbs up or down. Good luck!