Starter Contacts In 97 Lx 450

What are the symtoms of a starter needing new contacts? My wife drives 97 LX 450 and she told me that about a month ago she tried to start the motor and nothing happened (that is nothing) on the first attempt. However, she was able to crank it on the second (or the third) attempt. This was strange as she has been driving this truck for the last 5 yrs or so without any "complaints". I have driven it recently and it starts everytime...first attempt. Does this sound like the first symptoms of failing contacts in the starter? Should I consider replacing these anyway as my truck has about 105k miles. Help.

Thanks.

Options

You got it right there. What you described are the symptoms of the starter contacts going out. It just happens out of the blue. What sucks is that now, it'll start happening more frequently. Worst case is if the plunger inside the starter gets stuck -- the starter will get stuck on, which could cause a fire.

Check on the forum I referenced in the rear bearing pack question. Find the search option and enter "starter contacts" -- you'll find a weath of information there.