Slight Clunking Noise

Hello I have a 98 GS 400 with 118K and was wondering if the struts on these bad boys go bad with the wear my car has.

I hear a slight 'clunk' everytime I turn at slow speeds or go over bumps. It kind of sound slike a strut going bad, but then again im not really sure. My question is, has anyone had to change their struts in the front??

Has anyonehad this problem?

Also, something else I noticed-dont knowif thsi is normal...

THe other day I was racing a 545 BMW on a street (GS4 can surely keep up with them LOL, poor BMW's) we hit pretty damn fast speeds for a street race (over 110, i quickly glanced ) but then a red light came on and I had to SLAM on my breaks.... I had never slammed on mybrakes that hard since I bought the car about 6 months ago, but when I did the steering wheel shook pretty bad. I felt like I was in a honda! Is this normal for a lexus? Do u guys have the same problem? I mean u have to SLAM on the brakes.

Any info appreciated thanks.

Clunking sounds like the struts are bad, check for visible oil leakage. Also do the brake shim kit will help with any brake noises. Rotors might be warped, if the steering wheel was shaking. <_< Antilock prevents the cars brakes from locking up.

In general, after 100K miles, it's about time for shocks. If they are still the originals from the factory, you will most likely find that they are worn quite a bit if you change them. I changed my fronts on my '98 at 60K miles. The left one was leaking. I also found when changing the right one, it was shot too. I used KYB GR2's. Pretty close to stock both in price and performance.

• 3 years later...

the "chatter" or "shutter" in your steering wheel while extreme braking is more than likely your ABS doing what it's supposed to so that your tires don't lock up resulting in you skidding through that intersection. It's a rapid on and off firing mechanism of your brake calipers that the majority of time can be felt through the steering wheel.