Enlightning, But Disappointed

first rx

I have heard for years how Lexus (this is my first) is a top-notch vehicle and spares no expense to make their vehilces as perfect as can be. After reading some of the posts about transmission problems, I checked out the underneath of my 2004 rx330. It looks like Lexus listened to concerns, or figured it out for themselves that the trans oil needed extra cooling because my 330 has a trans oil cooler on the driver's side. I was a little disappointed at the location, and the lack of a fan to draw in air. The times you would need extra cooling for the trans oil is when you are moving slow (under load, traffic, up-hill) ) or not at all (stuck in mud, snow, etc) Also, the lines running to and from the cooler are rubber hose with cheap spring-type clamps. Almost a guarantee of a leak in three years (or less). While the 330 is a great looking vehicle, has a great paint job, and rides very nice, the under-frame is no better than average priced vehicles I have owned or worked on in the past.

I still like the vehicle, but I see no difference between this $45,000 one and a $30,000 Murano, Explorer, or Equinox.

Disappointed,

Bob

overall quality, re-sale value,limited slip diff, suspension... I can find alot. Im on my 5th diifferent Lexus and I dont have a spot{oil} on my drive way.Drive a 3 year old Lexus and a 3 year old anything. Nothing beats the quality and overall value of ownership.

my 330 has a trans oil cooler on the driver's side. I was a little disappointed at the location, and the lack of a fan to draw in air. The times you would need extra cooling for the trans oil is when you are moving slow (under load, traffic, up-hill) ) or not at all (stuck in mud, snow, etc) Also, the lines running to and from the cooler are rubber hose with cheap spring-type clamps. Almost a guarantee of a leak in three years (or less).

All Toyotas have a fluid cooler built into the lower tank of the radiator. This cooler helps

keep transmission fluid tempertures down when "moving slow under load, traffic, up-hill" because the coolant temperature stays around 165-195 degrees F under virtually all driving conditions. The external transmission oil cooler your RX330 has helps too. Generally, Toyota automatic transmssion fluid temperatures run around 150-170 degrees under most traffic conditions (significantly cooler than American car automatics). If you think fluid cooling is poor, I suggest you get out of your car after "moving slow under load, traffic, up-hill" and pull the transmission oil dipstick and let a drop or two of the fluid fall on your fingers. You might be surprized the fluid is not as scalding hot as you might have thought.

With regard to the transmission hoses and spring hose clamps, if you look underneath any 1970's Toyota that's still on the road you'll likely see is that the factory original hoses and hose clamps are still doing their job after 30 years of service. I know this first hand because I still own two early 70's Toyotas and have looked at dozens of others in auto wrecking yards. I love Toyotas

spring hose clamps because they never wear out, never leak and never deform the rubber hose or metal hose clamp fitting they are attached to (although in the rust belt / road salt states they

may eventually need replacing because of corrosion)

RX300 has tranny cooler in front of passenger wheel well. It is also partially blocked by windshield wiper fluid reservior but I don't have a leak due to clamped hose design for five years. Rubber hose is great since I plan to install a in line tranny filter on the return line from the cooler - an excellent idea that SKperformance posted in the ES forum.

but I see no difference between this $45,000 one and a $30,000 Murano, Explorer, or Equinox.

Disappointed,

Bob

Yea, the only differance you will see is those other brands in the shop more! Im not dissapointed one bit.

Ride in a 2-3 year old Explorer and then a 330--let us know the outcome

Ride in a 170,000 mile Lexus then a 170,000 mile anything else and you'll be impressed. The Japanese aren't for flair with such things as the Germans are (Germans spend a lot on little bits like that you'll never see) but what they do works.

I have an Explorer (well, my parents have it now since I gave it back to them lol) with 170k on it. Its a real peice. My dad traded his 98 LS400 with 160k, it still rode and drove like a new car.

It appears I hit a nerve. It's just that I expected better.

I was not complaining about fit, finish, ride, or interior quality, just that underneath I expected more "heavy-duty" than what I saw.

Sorry,

Bob

The RX is not a heavy duty or even medium duty off roader, it is a street or maybe the dirt road to the cabin and some what foul weather CAR. If you want a hot rod high performance car or OFF roader you should not get an RX. The words luxury and off road do not go together in a regular car/RX.

Jeff

If things like that are important to you you should have bought a BMW, Mercedes, or Audi. The things you feel are missing are "overengineering" and thats why those cars are so expensive to repair and maintain. Why make a coolant line that costs $500 to replace when one that costs $50 works just as well? Anyone can work on a Lexus, even a gas station. Thats not true of a BMW, Mercedes, or especially an Audi. To me thats one of the make's good points.