Sc300 Drifting Problems! Fire Wall Flex+irs Slop

I own a 93 SC300 5-speed. I drift daily on public roads on my morning drive to work (occupational license) and have noticed that my clutch engagment point is getting lower and lower. I installed a new clutch after my adjustment was all the way out. After putting a new clutch in my engagment point is still at the floor. After trouble shooting for a while I found my problem. My firewall is flexing almost a 1/4 inch (seriously, I don't know how I didnt figure it out sooner). The car has never been into any accidents and was owned by a woman when I bought it that has all of the factory service records, so I am guessing that auto abuse is out of the question, until it got into my hands that is. Has anyone else drifted the SC regularly and experienced this? Does anyone know of a firewall brace made for the SC or the Supra? What is the pedal effort like on your SC?

Another problem I am having is my rear-end is slowly becoming more and more unstable. I actually have play in the rear wheels when I push the car side to side. Is it just the bushings that the diff is housed in or is there a more serious problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Derek Jackson

93 Lexus SC300 5-speed

1999 Ducati 750 SS

1963 Impala

1985 Toyota Corolla

well if your firewall is flexing then you could make a brace like they do for brake masters, but you could jsut weld it in to the shock tower and make it a bolt on style to the shock tower and clutch master so if you ever take the master out you wont have any problems.

if your wheels move side to side when you push the car most likely your wheel bearings are gone!! doesnt it make noise when you drive? well i guess you cant hear it with all that tire squeel :lol: but um yea you should get that fixed fast because it could really get bad and if its that than most likely your going to have to replace the inner hub too which doesnt cost all that much but i had to do this last year. all i can say is that drifting puts enourmous stress on the drive train so you got to keep up on the maintenance. other than that :cheers:

I work in a machine shop so figured it would be a sinch to rig up a brace. I can't even get the master cylinder off and there are only 2 bolts, one being impossible to reach. It is a very tight fit in there! The fire wall also has some decent conours that would be very hard to match up. Am I seriously the only guy with this problem? Does anyone know the procedure for removing the clutch pedal/master cylinder assembly?

There arent any noises and when I drive down the road except my front right break squeaks. I don't think that the play is in a wheel bearing. If you look at the rear-end of the SC it is almost like a "floating differential/rear-end" that sits on bushings. I think the play might be in this design, does anybody have this problem. Its not that noticable, meaning I pretty much have to shake the car violently side to side to make it even noticable, but that is mild compared to when the car sliding sideways at 80mph.

Thanks for your reply! :D

Hmm. You are just dangerous. If you are sliding the car at 80mph on public roads, it's just a matter of time.

You are describing wheel bearing issues. You should look at getting a factory service manual set if you are going to do your own work. Take your drifting to the track.

jack up the rear and shake the tires if they rock the bearing is bad or it could be bad bushings in the arms but in any case just take a look, it could be the diff bushing/mount after all.

Me dangerous? I think not. I know and understand the psychics of driving a car, and have been drifting for 4 years with the 12 AE86 Corollas I have owned which are alot more nervous than my SC. Dangerous is the soccer mom with the 5,000 lb minivan full of kids that doesn't know where her brake pedal is at, or the police chasing the guy that is already doing in excess of a 100mph when they blew by them. I try to keep in on the track but that costs alot more than free.

But back to my question. When the car is in up on jackstands I cannot feel any play at all (seriously not even a hint).

But I am less worried about that then the firewall flex because I have to bend the clutch pedal back with the tip of my foot to shift after about 30 shifts, which is tweaking the firewall back to the factory spot (or farther back) which in return makes my clutch engagment/disengament right at the bottom of my floor. I had to take my clutch/starter switch out because my pedal wouldnt even reach that because of misalignment.

Even professional drivers crash. To drive on a track is expensive? What is human life worth? How much do infractions for reckless driving cost? Sorry, I don't follow your logic. I would say using public roads is not free either. But I'm not here to argue. You will do what you do and someday maybe see the light. Or else these are just message board exaggerations. Regardless, young drivers need to understand this behavior is not acceptable.

I have never heard of firewall flex like that on this car. I run a rps carbon clutch that takes significant effort to actuate and it's just fine. I also do not have a problem with rear end shimmy. On a suspension with 75,000 miles and 10 years. I do not have any advice other than to trouble shoot the obvious things. If my car were doing this I would sell it. Never heard of a firewall brace on the market for mkiv or SC/soarer.

Good luck and stay safe.

:chairshot: If your not here to argue than why dont you leave it alone man?!?! As far as traffic infractions go, I have had one neg. and one Felony Elude (155 mph for 10 mins. , complain about that!) I am glad that you have an RPS carbon clutch but quite frankly i didnt ask you what you had. I posted a question dealing with my problems with my car, I dont care what problems you have or havent had with yours. So if you can help me please do if you cant shut up.

Thank you everyone else for your efforts. :D

Dangerous is.....the police chasing the guy that is already doing in excess of a 100mph when they blew by them.

one Felony Elude (155 mph for 10 mins. , complain about that!)

You just said the biggest contradiction, you're saying the guy that is dangerous is the one who flew past police at 100, however you then said you have a felony for eluding police at 155mph for 10min.

You are a joke in yourself. Glad I don't live by you.

• 2 months later...

guys whatever he does is his business 155 for 10 mins theres no way a person can do that on the streets... u would have to be on the freeway and if a person is going over 110 usually a person gets out of the way or the driver find a path around no problem... cant help at all sorry drifter...

:chairshot: If your not here to argue than why dont you leave it alone man?!?! As far as traffic infractions go, I have had one neg.  and one Felony Elude (155 mph for 10 mins. , complain about that!) I am glad that you have an RPS carbon clutch but quite frankly i didnt ask you what you had.  I posted a question dealing with my problems with my car, I dont care what problems you have or havent had with yours.  So if you can help me please do if you cant shut up.

Thank you everyone else for your efforts.    :D

You the one tearing up your car. You fix it. Personally I think you're just plain full of *BLEEP*.

:chairshot: If your not here to argue than why dont you leave it alone man?!?! As far as traffic infractions go, I have had one neg.  and one Felony Elude (155 mph for 10 mins. , complain about that!) I am glad that you have an RPS carbon clutch but quite frankly i didnt ask you what you had.  I posted a question dealing with my problems with my car, I dont care what problems you have or havent had with yours.  So if you can help me please do if you cant shut up.

You the one tearing up your car. You fix it. Personally I think you're just plain full of *BLEEP*.

that was uncalled for...its his car...he can do whatever he wants and its none of your buisness....I understand drifting on the streets might be dangerous..but that was just unnessecary...i don't mean to start an argument or add to one...but we really dont need comments like that....srry drifter cant help you on your problem

that was uncalled for...its his car...he can do whatever he wants and its none of your buisness....I understand drifting on the streets might be dangerous..but that was just unnessecary...i don't mean to start an argument or add to one...but we really dont need comments like that....srry drifter cant help you on your problem

Oh really? I got opinions too. You don't have to like them.

I drift daily on public roads on my morning drive to work
I have had one neg. and one Felony Elude (155 mph for 10 mins.
So if you can help me please do if you cant shut up

Hey guys I got the firewall problem fixed. Lol. To all the guys that just came here to complain about someone they dont even know, get a life. For the people in my defense, thank you for realizing that it is MY car and I WILL do what I want with it. As far as the IRS slop goes I am still having trouble with that. I have ordered Tein basic supra coilovers and will be looking through everything in the rearend when I install them. Thanks everybody for your input, ha ha.

Hey guys I got the firewall problem fixed. Lol. To all the guys that just came here to complain about someone they dont even know, get a life. For the people in my defense, thank you for realizing that it is MY car and I WILL do what I want with it.  As far as the IRS slop goes I am still having trouble with that.  I have ordered Tein basic supra coilovers and will be looking through everything in the rearend when I install them.  Thanks everybody for your input, ha ha.

RIP