Rx 400h Long Term Parking

The Rx 400h owners manual states, if you are leaving the RX parked for long periods of time, it is better to own an RX 330 rather than the RX 400h. What is the difference? Every statement in the manual points to the 12-volt battery being discharged over the period of time.

When parking the RX 400h for 2 or more weeks, do not open the rear door using remote power door opener prior to “Start ” and having the “Ready Light” come on. After 30 days the 12-volt battery may need to be recharged. Besides the security system, what drains the battery and is this not the same for the RX 330?

If you disconnect the battery the moon roof, power rear door and door locks will have to be reset, are all of the personal settings and seat adjustments lost? Does this make the car less secure?

Thanks for input.

Most new vehicles' electronics draw current (milliamps) while the vehicle is off. Because of this, not starting your vehicle for extended periods of time may result in a battery charge that is not capable of starting the vehicle. If you DO need to leave your RX400h sitting for more than a few weeks, I would look into the possiblity of using the Battery Tender Plus. It keeps the 12-volt battery "topped off" so that its capacity is always sufficient to start the engine.

This Battery tender can be found at Walmart. Check out its description here:

http://www.batterymart.com/battery.mv?p=DE...&source=froogle

• 3 weeks later...

If you're not in a position to plug in the Battery Tender, another option would be a solar powered charger. I used to park my car at DFW for 3 weeks at a time and would usually come back to a dead or close-to-dead battery. I bought a Solar Powered charger (plugs into the cigarette lighter) and that seemed to help a little. It's just a trickle charge, but it might be enough to run the components that suck battery when the car is turned off. I think I paid like $29.99.

This is a quick system that works relatively well when keeping your car parked for a long time. Turning the green knob turns off most of the power to the car, but still kept my clock and radio presets. I have a power seat, but not with memory control. I'm not sure what it's called, because it came with the car when we bought it. Whenever you reconnect it after disconnecting it though, be sureto tighten it very well or else you may have trouble starting your car up. The only way I have figured out to fix this is by resetting the system- unscrewing the knob all the way, and then tightening it all the way.

Old, dirty picture. :wacko:

post-18112-1123006999_thumb.jpg