Tires

I bought a 1997 SC400 and it turns out the tires were never rotated. The tires that were on the back are used up. The ones in the front are almost like new. I have ordered Goodyear F1's and am wondering if I should put them on the front where I think they should go or on the rear. The older tires are cheapies, but I felt I should use them up and not just throw them. Comments and reasons to support your comments would be appreciated.

Flashjet

I would put the new tires up front. The front tires are used for turning. Rear tires are only used for general forward movement. The front tires also take the brunt of the stopping power (compared to the rears) when you step on the brakes, meaning the weight of the car shifts to the front.

Just remember to rotate the tires every so often and you'll be fine.

I would put the new tires up front.  The front tires are used for turning.  Rear tires are only used for general forward movement.  The front tires also take the brunt of the stopping power (compared to the rears) when you step on the brakes, meaning the weight of the car shifts to the front.

I just replaced 2 tires as well but I had them placed on the rear. Good example, My friend was driving his sc in the rain merging from the ramp to the highway driving about 40mph and the back end came out, car hydroplaned and flipped after it hit the median which they had to total out. He later found out that the place that replaced his tires placed the new tires on the front instead of the back. He said the older tires still had tread left but I guess not enough tread.

He also mentioned that in florida if you only get 2 new tires for a rear wheel drive car they're supposed to put them on the back, but I dunno if that's true or not. Makes sense tho.

I would put the new tires up front.  The front tires are used for turning.  Rear tires are only used for general forward movement.  The front tires also take the brunt of the stopping power (compared to the rears) when you step on the brakes, meaning the weight of the car shifts to the front.

I just replaced 2 tires as well but I had them placed on the rear. Good example, My friend was driving his sc in the rain merging from the ramp to the highway driving about 40mph and the back end came out, car hydroplaned and flipped after it hit the median which they had to total out. He later found out that the place that replaced his tires placed the new tires on the front instead of the back. He said the older tires still had tread left but I guess not enough tread.

He also mentioned that in florida if you only get 2 new tires for a rear wheel drive car they're supposed to put them on the back, but I dunno if that's true or not. Makes sense tho.

I wonder if he had the new tires on the back and would have done that same merge the same way if he would have lost steering due to hydroplaning and ended up in the same situation?

OK, now I have one that says I should put new rubber on the front and one that says they should go on the rear. Now I am more confused than when I started this blog. :wacko:

Flashjet

I prefer to replace all the tires in one shot and always the same type and models.

For snows you should always place them on the rears if only getting 2 even thought it would make sense for them to be on the driving wheels up front on a front wheel drive car.It helps keep the car straight on snow and ice under braking.

I would prefer to put the old ones out back to burn them up faster and replace with the same as the fronts later

I prefer to replace all the tires in one shot and always the same type and models.

For snows you should always place them on the rears if only getting 2 even thought it would make sense for them to be on the driving wheels up front on a front wheel drive car.It helps keep the car straight on snow and ice under braking.

I would prefer to put the old ones out back to burn them up faster and replace with the same as the fronts later

In Austin, Texas snow is very rare. When it does snow the only safe place is off the roads totally!!! Way too many yahoos in pickups that think the snow means go fast and have fun sliding around. Then you got a story to tell.....

At any rate, I am in aline with your last line, put the old ones on back to burn them up faster. Thanks for the input.

Flashjet :D

In Austin, Texas snow is very rare. When it does snow the only safe place is off the roads totally!!! Way too many yahoos in pickups that think the snow means go fast and have fun sliding around. Then you got a story to tell.....

At any rate, I am in aline with your last line, put the old ones on back to burn them up faster. Thanks for the input.

Flashjet :D

Makes sense to burn them up in the rear. It's probably the same thing i would do, but if you're in Florida or somewhere where it rains everyday, I would definitely put them in the back. I notice a big difference when making turns when it's wet. With the new tires (when it's raining of course) the back end doesn't lose traction if i'm trying to accelerate to make a turn, where it did with the worn down tires.

In Texas I'm pretty putting them in the rear will work out without any problems.

There is an article somewhere in a motor trend or road and track from last year:

always replace 4 at a time. if you are only doing two, always put them on the rear. New tires go on the back. Your car will be dead if not. It's better to run 5 pounds over than 2 pounds under. This is from a safety standpoint. This is what the professionals recommend.

• 2 months later...

i was in my sc400 on saturday and hydroplaned on I80 at about 50 mph. i twirled off the road and into the grass. it was like an amusement park ride. no damage to me or my car. i guess its time for some new tires. i'm getting bridgestone Turanza LS-Vs at the tirerack uness someone suggests something better.

our cars take a lickin' and keep on tickin'!

i was in my sc400 on saturday and hydroplaned on I80 at about 50 mph.  i twirled off the road and into the grass.  it was like an amusement park ride.  no damage to me or my car.  i guess its time for some new tires.  i'm getting bridgestone Turanza LS-Vs at the tirerack uness someone suggests something better. 

our cars take a lickin' and keep on tickin'!

I just ordered Yokohama AVID V4S 225-55-16 from tire rack. They are only $88 a tire and they are supposed to be better than my previous Michelin Pilot Sport tires which were like $200/tire. Michelin Pilot Sport is a pretty good tire and along with that is the price so it should be interesting to see the difference (if any between the $88 Yokohama and the $200 Michelin. Here's the link for the Yokohama tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...rtnum=255VR6V4S