Jdm Mix Up

Well, heres the deal. I got new 95-96 headlights off the internet. After hard work in heating and doing clear corners and all that, i find that these lights are actually JDM ones. These lights from what i research use 9006j as the low beam instead of our 9006st(standard) that all of us here in the states use. I GOT seriously screwed. Now my 9006 HID bulbs are not fitting obviously after trying like an idiot. It was after this point where i realized what really is going on.

anyways, i am using 9005 bulbs that are our highbeams and putting them into the lowbeams slots of the new ballasts. Now this works. thats weird.

Will using 9005 bulbs in the low beam slot work out ok, or are they not designed to be used this way??

:pirate: how bitterrrrrrr

yep, heh... tried that... the problem is that there is too much body at the base of the bulb so that it doesnt come anywhere close to the plastics tabs.

'I guess im just ganna have to order the 9005 Bulbs for my HID's! Isnt that the best option ?

Now my 9006 HID bulbs are not fitting obviously after trying like an idiot.

That's what you get for putting illegal re-based bulbs into a halogen housing. Have fun blinding people left and right :chairshot:. At least when I did mine, I took my pojectors a part and spent a few days modifying the cut-off's and bulb stand off length to produce a good cut-off.

Now to the problem.

Just shape the pins for them to fit. Newbs use a file or grinder. Smart people use a soldiering iron because that's much faster, and neater. Just like swapping any other bulb.

the pins arent the problem. And its not blinding anyone. in fact they used to fit on my stock lamps. did you read my post? I bought new Headlamps, JDM ones they turned out to be. The depth of the bulb housing is different, its a 9006j.

Ok ,without a pic it is going to be hard to know exactly what you are saying.

First who makes the ballasts and bulbs?

What kind of retro base are you using , a prebased bulb or an aluminum glue on base?

The tip of the bulb is hitting something?

ot the inside of the 9006base is hitting something?

Do you have a pic by chance?

Nope, havent taken any pictures. And now its night time.

The xenon package is from Xenondepot.com. its just a plug and play unit with ballasts. basically the problem is, Even when taking out the plastic thing with the three screws, this 9006 hid bulb will not go in far enough. The pins all match up (Remember that both headlamps use 9006 style, one being ST and the other J). The conflicting differnces are at the base of these two bulbs where they come in contact with the projector holes. It just doesnt go in because its too tall on the ST style. this japaneese style 9006j are shorter and fit into the slot prefectly. when using a 9005 however, the fit is next to perfect.

I hope that helps to understand the problem.

which one of the xenon depot sets do you have?

I had a problem similar to yours on the kit i made for my civic using d2r bulbs.

I had to shave the small round part of the base so the collar/aluiminum base sat further back .

If you can find a pic on the web like at

www.hidforum.com and do a ms paint job on it to so the exact spot i might be able to give you a better idea.

i have pointed to the region. there the base is too large and tall and not allowing the pins to go down far enough where it can go underneath that plastic on the projectors and snap into place.

the exact product that im dealing with is: My product

keep in mind that this issue is for everytype of 9006ST bulb.

And another thing, i was out tonight with the 9005's fitted into the lowbeam sockets. I notices they seemed to point really high. Whats the reason for this ? does that mean using the 9005 is outta question for me ?

post-1183-1121148775_thumb.jpg

Atleast you have a good set of ballasts the gen 3 ones which hardly ever fail.

Ok it is pretty much the same problem i had except mine wasn;t a jdm problem.

Correct me if i am not understanding you but , the tabs match but the bulb will not go deep enough to allow you to turn and lock them into place with a 90degree turn ,right?

I am guessing it is a problem with the opening on the actual projector not being wide enough to allow the base to fit.

One option is to shave the inside of the base off slightly to allow it to seat where it was hitting before.

Another is to use longer screws and some washers to allow those 3 screws to sit further back giving you enough room to turn the bulbs with no problem . This is basically giving you more gap to play with, it might get tricky as you need enough to clear but not too much or it will be loose.

well looking at everything throughly, its not ganna be possible to effciently retro fit the 9006st to fit a 9006 j, unless i do something crazy.

The 9005 fit into the low beam works but the aim is not anywhere near target, and is very blinding. Again, no way to get proper aiming without bending the metal plates on the actual projectors.

i have my Stock 9006J bulbs(which thankgod came with the projectors) plugged in.

Xenondepot does not carry 9006J bulbs. so the whole kit is basically useless.

most likely im ganna have to sell this kit, and go with one of the kits they use on the Toyota Supra's which use JDM 9006J's as well.

Im ganna contact XD again and talk to them.

If you sell it ,let me know although the bulbs are crappy since they aren't phillips.

Have you thought of switching the actual projectors but useing the JDM housing and lens?

This way you can keep the additional bulb under the signal, with the wiring for them and still have the proper aiming and bulbs which are available.

Have you thought of switching the actual projectors but useing the JDM housing and lens?

This way you can keep the additional bulb under the signal, with the wiring for them and still have the proper aiming and bulbs which are available.

Definetly thought of that, but after all the work i put into opening and resealing so nicely i feel almost retarded doing it all over again. And i think maybe thats too much work just to make these ballasts to work out. You know what im saying ?

P.S .the bulbs do suck, but they aight. PM me later if your interested in them we'll see what we can do.

You think its worth pulling all 4 of these projectors apart to make it work ...... that seems such a chore!!!

Geo- Actually ive had these HID's for quite a while. And well it wasnt quite the fiasco because the projectors costed me almost nothing. I hadda replace my old projectors becuase they were water filled/scratched 92 ones that some incompetant body shop did before the ownership of this car.

I know the pain in the !Removed! it is to pull the lights apart but if they are fresh they will open even easier withouth an oven.

The worst part is if you do not fix them now then what do you do when you need bulbs anyway?

i remember reading about your post on that. And again i saw it just the other day when i was looking up on the matter.

SK, I was thinking the best thing is that im just ganna have to keep a spare or two here at home with me incase of a spontaneous burn out. They sell the 9006J's online.

OR, if i can get a hold of the 9006J HID kit from somewhere thad be best... like one used for the supra.

And another thing i notice.... These JDM lights have a much better beam pattern and output that our stock ones.

Juan- did you ever notice that? or did you never actually get to use a 9006J with it?

You could get the aluminum bases like i have for my civic which are used to mount d2r/d2s oem bulbs to a 9006 housing.

Since it sits forward anyway it will have enough room to mount.

This way you have the space and can shave the 9006 tabs to match the housing you have now. It will leave the other tabs behind it but shuold fit easy enough and only $20.

No , d2r/d2s they are HID bulbs with the OEM bases or pins.

All oem cars use one of these 2 bulbs for their HID's other than a few germans trying to get fancy.

D2"S" is for "Sheilded" or a projector.

D2"R" is for a "Reflector" headlight like a 97-2000 ES.

These bulbs are nothign like the halogen bulbs ,basically it is the same hid bulbs you have but without any wires just a direct socket on them.

I'll see if i can find an ebay link for an example.

Here is a pair of d2r bulbs that someone tried to rebase but must have gotten scared and stopped halfway, it basically need the rest of the housing broken to be removed and the rings/bases sit right on with some epoxy.

DSC07614.jpg

DSC07613.jpg

Here is a pair of bulbs for example of them both with new babses added to them ,the left is 9006 the right is H4 bases added to D2 bulbs.

DSC07617.jpg

Here is another angle for veiwing.

DSC07616.jpg

Here is the bulbs you have which are from taiwan and do not usually last very long.(keep your receipt)

9005%209006%20bulb.jpg

If you still got more questions go to .

www.hidplanet.com

yeah, thanks!

I know what your saying now. im ganna look into it more to see if its ganna work for me.

Your so right about those bulbs though. in 6 months i already had to order another one earlier this summer. and they aint cheap neither.

Do not replace them with the same taiwan crap ones.

Try hidplanet for a good deal on hid's stuff as i find xenon depot a rip off and i am in the saem city as them.

Personally i would keep the 2 ballasts you have which are the best imo

then get 2 oem d2s bulbs for about $80 for a pair.

Get 2 aluminum bases you can reuse $25

2 phillips oem wiring harnesses from the ballast to the bulbs which have a large red end.$20

like this one

f9_1_b.JPG

which uses this bulb

e2_1_b.JPG

So for around $140 for the first set you can continue using the oem grade bulbs which last long and are cheap as well as readily available on ebay which is where i got all these pics.