I Need Rotors

I just got a 99 GS400 (Motor Trend Import Car Of That Year). It's wonderful. The only problem is I cant drive it. The problem Lies with the rotors, three rotors need to be cut and one needs to be replaced. At the dealer the complete set of four will run me about $750 dollars. I have been told it's not good to cut the rotors (considering cutting three and replacing one) because it will ware down the brakes fast in the future. I was considering after market rotors but not sure. I was also considering the drilled and slotted rotors which go for about $300 dollars. I'm leaning toward the drilled and slotted rotors but being told they become warped and unusable easily. If anyone has the drilled and slotted rotors I would really appreciate some input, and would love to know how long you've had them and how many times you've changed your brakes and the time frame. I know I'm asking a lot but I've had my car since July 2nd and have only drove it twice.

I have X-Drilled and slotted rotors on my GS.. What you say is true about them becoming warped easily but so are the factory rotors if you are constantly mashing the brakes.. The key to not warping rotors/brakes is the break-in period.. If broken in properly you'll be fine, I've had my rotors on for about 15,000 miles and I'm still good.. I need new pads right now but other then that I'm golden.. Also another thing, if your going to replace your factory pads which I do recommend, get EBC Green Stuff Sport Pads.. Almost no brake dust and they bite really nice on the rotors to give you better stopping power than the factory pads.. You'll feel the difference... Promise...

I'm surprised no one is directing him to the Toyota Twin Turbo Supra rotors! I thought that there were other threads stating that they would bolt on with no modifications?

Seems like that and the GreenStuff pads would be awesome.

drilled rotors are more common to cracking but only under extreme stresses, tey are mainly good for removing heat by letting the gass excape through the center vents

slotted rotors cause a little more brake dust but also keep the brakes fresh by removing a thin layer of pad and heat with every pass

they have designs that have both int he rotors

i prefer a good slotted rotor only

the drilled ones are pretty much good for the track where there might be temps needed for that

i have had slotted for about 1 year and they are fantasic

i have slotted and drilled on my wifes car and tey improved it amazingly

get the power slots and you will be happy i am not sure on the companies quality as many companies make parts but a few actually R&D them first

like slots are much better when curved than a straight line as it keeps the noise of rotor chatter down

also a good beveled edge to also reduse noise by allowing a smotth edge for it to come off of

and lastly a full slot going from inside to right off the edge of the rotor alowwing the heat to dissapate

good luck

I'm surprised no one is directing him to the Toyota Twin Turbo Supra rotors!    I thought that there were other threads stating that they would bolt on with no modifications?

Seems like that and the GreenStuff pads would be awesome.

There is no performance increase with just the Supra rotors. I think you might be thinking of the calipers. Now there is a big diff using the Calipers. The larger the Calipers the better the stopping power.

AriestoDiamond,

Bottm line is, that you are not going to notice much diff in the bracking unless you are doing some hard driving. Sloted rotor will do ya just fine. Take a look at some of the kits out there on the net for your GS and make your own opinion.

i'm do for pads very soon, anyone know where to get a good deal on the EBC Green Stuff Sport Pads?

Your best bet on this on is to check the web or check out one of our LOC vendors..

can you put the green stuff pads on just the regular rotors? is there a diff there from oem pads and green stuff?

Again, unless you drive your car hard you will not even notice a diff.

can you put the green stuff pads on just the regular rotors? is there a diff there from oem pads and green stuff?

To answer your question, YES.. They have OEM sizes... And is there a difference between OEM pads and greenstuff, YES... The Greenstuff pads are much better IMO and on top of that they give off less brakedust than the factory pads...

irotors.com has all 4 rotors selling for about 250..ebc greenstuff pads are nice...i have them..but personally ide go with axxis pads...to each his own i guess...i have cross slotted rotors...i bought from irotors they're great and il think for an extra 30 bucks they throw in the pads for all the rotors too..haha what a deal...or if you dont wanna go through them

I have greenstuff pads and EBC turbo-broove rotors on the front.

I found that using EBC pads on stock lexus rotors wears the pads EXTREMELY quickly. I got through a set of REAR pads in about 6,000 miles.

The front ones are still going strong at over 20,000 miles (because they're greenstuff pads on EBC rotors)

Hope that makes sense