90k Service For Lx450

What is included in 90K service for LX450?  I read that LX450 is chain driven therefore has no timing belt replacement.  Is this true?

Thanks.

Options

That's true. Get's replaced when you overhaul the motor.

If you've got an owner's manual, it should have all the 90k maintenance items listed. IIRC, nothing major... mostly fluid changes, spark plugs and inspections. If you're into preventative maitenance, you should think about doing and front and rear axle service... new seals, bearing repack, fresh grease etc...

It's somewhat common for 7+ year old LX450 cylinder head gaskets to blow. Prevention involved keep the cooling system in perfect shape. That means you should change the thermostat and thermostat gasket now using genuine Toyota parts and use nothing but a 50/50 mix of distilled water and Toyota Long Life antifreeze in the system. Also means you should remove the radiator roughly every 5-7 years so you can clean the bugs and dust out of the fins and also clean the AC condenser in front of the radiator at the same time. Also means you should get the cooling or other engine systems fixed immediately if the engine temperatures gauge ever starts to read even slightly higher than normal for any reason.

Thanks.

I am going to get the complete service on the front and the rear axles including brake job. Local Toyota dealership quoted me $500 for repacking bearings, turning rotors and installing new pads. Additionally, get the ATF, PS and radiator fluids exchanged along with new belts. The total quote for all this was around $1000. I had the spark plugs, rotor and cap replaced a few months ago along with the fluids replacement in the front, rear differentials and the transfer case. I am hoping this should be plenty for the "90k service".

This is a solid truck and I want to keep it for at least another 100k.

Options

It's somewhat common for 7+ year old LX450 cylinder head gaskets to blow.  Prevention involved keep the cooling system in perfect shape.  That means you should change the thermostat and thermostat gasket now using genuine Toyota parts and use nothing but a 50/50 mix of distilled water and Toyota Long Life antifreeze in the system.  Also means you should remove the radiator roughly every 5-7 years so you can clean the bugs and dust out of the fins and also clean the AC condenser in front of the radiator at the same time.  Also means you should get the cooling or other engine systems fixed immediately if the engine temperatures gauge ever starts to read even slightly higher than normal for any reason.

I disagree with some of this...

Headgaskets are known to fail, but it's really not all that common. Keeping the cooling system in top condition is a good way to prevent this from happening, but will not necessarily save you.

I've never heard of anyone removing the rad to clean it. I suppose it couldn't hurt, but if there's no sludge in there, you should be fine. If you need to or choose to replace the radiator, I'd suggest getting one from a 93 or 94 Toyota Land Cruiser -- they're better than the all plastic ones that were installed in the later model year 80 series.

Sounds like you're getting more than enough done.

That should cover you until 120k miles. :D

That "complete service on front and rear axle", doesn't sound like a birf and axle seal service to me.

Sounds like they're just doing all the easy stuff. These things go through brakes pretty quickly. Unless you're just totally mechanically enept, you may want to consider learning how to do the brakes. There's just not much to them.

Doug could talk you through changing the belts :D.

PS exchange, ATF exchange and Coolant flush are all pretty easy with a little guidance.

I would not have them turn the rotors unless you've got more vibration under breaking than you care to live with. Be prepared to replace them if they've been turned before.

:cheers:

Rookie2

Replacing belts? I might be able to provide a saga about that ;)

Complete birfield service, IIRC isn't recommended until the 60k intervals. The 90k only calls for bearing repack. I'll check my owner's guide though...this is just from memory...and at the rate I'm going...that's really not a good reference tool anymore :)

Oh... silly me. I may have jumped to the conclusion that at 90K, it's never been done before :chairshot:. IIRC, there's no mention of it in the owner's manual. I think they want you to wait until the birf explodes. I'm on a 75k interval, and can sleep okay at night :D.

BTW... is this supposed to be the Harry Carry smilie... ? :geek: "Heeeey... sheck out the kid in the sommmbreeroo"

:cheers:

Rookie