Urgent Help - Cloth Down The Engine

vyhanh

Thanks for replying.

1. What is Total Recall?

2. If I push it, would it hurt the engine internal if engine parts moving around with the cloth inside it?

Where exactly did it go? Have you tried that thing from Total Recall to get it out? I guess you can put it in Neutral and push it in the garage?

thanks

Thanks for replying.

1. What is Total Recall?

2. If I push it, would it hurt the engine internal if engine parts moving around with the cloth inside it?

Where exactly did it go? Have you tried that thing from Total Recall to get it out? I guess you can put it in Neutral and push it in the garage?

thanks

The engine parts don't move as long as transmission is in neutral.

I suppose that the rag is inside the intake manifold... If you can't take it out using some sort of tool, then I guess you'll need to remove the manifold.

Peter-"Thats easy, the chick with three knockers from Total Recall" Quagmire-"You know one of those is Paper Mache?" Peter-"Oh really can I take my vote back? Of course I know its paper mache!" : Classic Family Guy moment.

I'm sorry about that. I just cant think of the name of that thing you use. I believe plumbers use it. Its long and when you press the top part this claw thing comes out of the bottom and grabs stuff. If I can find a pic/name I will get it to you. But it shoudl be perfect for you.

can you see the rag?

No, I cannot see the rag. I am SURE that it is now inside the air intake chamber. I need all the help I can get. I have just been told that when things are put back together, all the bolts need to be at right torque !!! Oh my lord !!!!

Heres what to do. Go to or call a place like Home Depot or Lowes and go to the plumbing aisle and try and describe to them what it is you're looking for. i couldnt find a name but the guy from Hardward knew what it was but I neve got a hold of plumbing. The one end is like a syringe and you put your thumb on it and push down it and at the other end a thing like a claw or grabber will come out and allow you to get to things in hard places without getting it suck. Call them and describe it to them and they shoudl give you a name. They are prettty cheap and really great to have around.

hope this helps!

Yeah, those things are pretty cool.  Looks like it's called a retrieval claw.  I'll try a link to one.  Otherwise, can you put your vacuum/shop vac in there and suck it out?  Good luck!

Retrieval Claw

Hi,

I am currently trying (in 90 degrees heat)"

1. Retrieval claw ($7 from Home Depot)

2. Also, may try Shop-Vac (having trouble finding 1 in. flexible hose)

Wish me luck !

PS: Lexus dealer will charge me $280 + tax to get it off the intake chamber :cries:

Yeah, those things are pretty cool.  Looks like it's called a retrieval claw.  I'll try a link to one.  Otherwise, can you put your vacuum/shop vac in there and suck it out?  Good luck!

Retrieval Claw

Hi,

I am currently trying (in 90 degrees heat)"

1. Retrieval claw ($7 from Home Depot)

2. Also, may try Shop-Vac (having trouble finding 1 in. flexible hose)

Wish me luck !

PS: Lexus dealer will charge me $280 + tax to get it off the intake chamber :cries:

SUCCESS !!! :cheers: The mechanic claw did it hands down. Now only if I can put things back together without !Removed! it up further :whistles:

Glad you got it out! Good idea, Ed. I woke up last night thinking about your plight, then started wondering what I did with the rag that I used last weekend to clean up the engine...ha. With my luck the rag would be made of polyester and would melt inside the intake and stick forever.

Oh. I was just being a smart a$$ : ). I am glad you were able to find out then name of that damn thing! I use to have one. I rememebr being a little kid thinking about that sceen from Total Recall holdiong that thign in my hand. I am definetly gonna get one next time I go to Home Depot. S

Oh. I was just being a smart a$$ : ). I am glad you were able to find out then name of that damn thing! I use to have one. I rememebr being a little kid thinking about that sceen from Total Recall holdiong that thign in my hand. I am definetly gonna get one next time I go to Home Depot. S

If the tube (covered with a rubber hose) coming out at the bottom of the throttle body is bent slightly and the rubber hose is cracked, does it matter?

post-2868-1121198866_thumb.jpg