When To Do First Oil Change?

steve_n

Hello,

I have had my ’05 GX470 for about 5 months and have put only about 1,500 miles so far. I don’t use it frequently and probably won’t reach 5,000 miles until after 12 months or more :rolleyes:. Anyone has any recommendation on what is the best time to do the first and future oil changes? Every six months regardless of the mileage? How about the 15,000 miles service? Is that based exclusively on mileage or is there time limit for it as well? Thanks in advance for any information.

Steve

The Scheduled Maintenance Guide that came with your truck says to change the oil at least every 6 months or 5,000 miles. If you don't read and follow the Scheduled Maintenance Guide then Lexus may not honor your 7 year, 70,000 mile powertrain warranty.

I don't put that many mles on my 04 either. I took delivery on October 1st, 2004, and only had 2300 miles on it at the beginning of march. I was going to be taking it on a 4,000 mile cross country trip to Phoenix for baseball spring training, so I had the oil changed before I left.

I used Mobil one full synthetic at the change, and put 5,000 miles on that oil before changing it again recently. I have 8,500 miles on it now, and don't anticipate needing to change the oil again until I hit about 13,000, which should be a while.