Subwoofer Replacement

Hey there. I just purchased a 10" free air sub from Pioneer model TS-W254F and to my dismay it doesn't drop-in fit the old subwoofer enclosure. Does anyone out there know of a brand/model that does? Thanks.

Also does anyone know of a fair price I should be referring to to get the whole system replaced? I've been getting quoted about $450 labor (I have new head unit, amp, speakers, wires/cables/kit). Thanks again!

I think it might fit. I took the old sub out yesterday and tried to plop the new one in but didn't take out the larger black outer plastic ring that the old sub sits in. When I took that out it seemed to be the right size, but then it seemed to pop up too far against the 3rd brake light housing. I'm just wondering if there are any free air subs out there that are easier replacements, or if anyone has replaced their factory sub with the Pioneer TS-W254F. If not then I might just remove the third brake housing altogether because I'm getting a spoiler w/third brake light this week.

Also wondering if it's true our old system is a 2 OHM system like the audio installers say. That we need to gut the whole system/wires etc. and run it with new wires for a 4 OHM system.

Thanks again! :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

all custom installation jobs require a little tweaking.

use a dremmel tool to cut away the mounting bracket.

Measure the depth of the old sub and width to shop for a new sub.

My 94 SC400 with NAK has 4ohm 4.25 rear deck speakers.

The wiring thats in the car will do just fine.

450$US sounds high 50 per unit and 25 per speaker sounds good. custom fit deck is more

as our dash has a double din space.

Good luck and have fun

I just replaced the stock 10" in my 96 SC and all I have to say is WOW.

I've been installing subs in my friends cars for over a year now.

I had a setup in my old camaro hitting 145dB.

This was the most difficult setup I've ever had to do.

I guess the biggest problem is you have to work in this tiny little space between the rear window and the back seats.

You're limmited on bottom by the gas tank (barely any clearance for the magnet), and on top by the 3rd brake light(GRRRRR!)

I've worked on it for 2 days straight now and have finally managed to get the sub secure in the hole.

Just to give you an idea of how precise I had to do everything: the clearance between my magnet (on the new sub) and the gas tank is 1/16 of an inch.

To get it there I had to raise the whole setup(along with the mounting bracket) by an inch.

Had to hack a few things, and now my 3rd brake light is kinda suspended in midair.

It looks fine from the outside but on the inside you can see the 1/4 inch gap between the brake light housing and the rear deck.

Anyways.....my point is, if you're going to put any kind of beat in the SC, just go for the whole box in the trunk thing or have it professionaly done.

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm broke as a joke (now that I drive a Lexus) I'd definitely take it to a pro shop, even though I am a pro :D

• 5 weeks later...

save yourself the trouble and just have a custom box made from fiberglass at a stereo shop for around 300 in the back right of your trunk; saves space and doesn't mess up the inside of your car. Works great in mine and I just unplugged the stock 10. Free air subs give significantly less bass than the enclosed so save your money by not getting the free air and get the custom box with a nice eclipse 10 or 12 aluminum sub :)

as far as the labor is concerned, that's cheap! I had an eclipse deck installed in the glove box so my dash didn't look cheap and it cost $150. They want 165 for an amp rack and 80 for the cooling fans, about 200 for wiring, 500 for custom fiberglass box, and about 150 for speaker install, consider yourself getting off cheap but make sure they do a good job. Magnolia Hi-fi had to replace my climate control for $670 because they weren't careful enough with my lexus. So now I am at ACME TOPS and TUNES the most expensive shop in town. look them up on the net. I wish I could have that done for that cheap in cali :(

• 4 months later...

dannycwu, did you ever finish with that Pioneer sub?? I'm looking at that sub pretty seriously. How do you feel it sounds? Do you feel it needs an additional amp; and if so, what type of crossover would you recommend??

If anyone else has tried this sub, please respond.

Thanks.

MJ