Noise From Rear End Or Trans - Dealer Blames Tires

mikjr

I have a 2004 RX 330... I am experiencing a whinning/hum noise from what I believe to be the rear end or trans.

A month after I got the car, they installed some kind of insulation on the trans line which eliminated some of the whinning, but this is a different sound.

The dealer says the tires are worn and scalloped, and that's where the noise is coming from. They said if I replace the tires, that should take care of the noise. It's hard to believe that a car with 33,000 miles already needs new tires.

Last time I had my car in for service, they loaned me another RX 330... it was quiet as a mouse!

My questions are:

1) Has anyone else experienced the same noise issues?

2) Could it actually be the tires??

3) If it is the tires, does anyone have a recommendation as to a "QUIET" tire replacement. I know some tires produce more road noise. I have the 215/18 tires.

thanks in advance

mike

mikjr

The tech who drove your car is probably right. The noise you're experiencing could very well be due to worn tires.

33K miles sounds about average for the goodyears to be worn out.

The OEM Michelins MXV4 S8 that came on some RX including mine are DEAD QUITE with excellent ride ,and that's what I would buy if low noise and good ride are your priorities. You'll be giving up some steering response over the GYs due to softer sidewalls.

I replaced my first set at 22K mi due to uneven tirewear [Alignment corrected afterwards].

I've read about some owners getting 50K mi out of their michelins.

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...
I have a 2004 RX 330...  I am experiencing a whinning/hum noise from what I believe to be the rear end or trans. 

A month after I got the car, they installed some kind of insulation on the trans line which eliminated some of the whinning, but this is a different sound.

The dealer says the tires are worn and scalloped, and that's where the noise is coming from.  They said if I replace the tires, that should take care of the noise. It's hard to believe that a car with 33,000 miles already needs new tires.

Last time I had my car in for service, they loaned me another RX 330... it was quiet as a mouse!

My questions are:

1)  Has anyone else experienced the same noise issues?

2)  Could it actually be the tires??

3)  If it is the tires, does anyone have a recommendation as to a "QUIET" tire replacement.  I know some tires produce more road noise.  I have the 215/18 tires.

thanks in advance

mike

I have a '99 RX300 and I had some noise also from the rear. Ended up finding a bad rear wheel bearing and a dragging parking brake shoe.

Tires: I'm not sure what is quiet but I do know what is noisy.

Continental Contitrac SUV, dealer took a set back from me with 20,000 miles on them because of noise/ broken belts/ bad balance etc...

Now running Firestone Destination LE, not the quietest but the vibration is gone and they ride nice; plus they did not cost me anything!

I have a 2004 RX 330...  I am experiencing a whinning/hum noise from what I believe to be the rear end or trans. 

The dealer says the tires are worn and scalloped, and that's where the noise is coming from.  They said if I replace the tires, that should take care of the noise. It's hard to believe that a car with 33,000 miles already needs new tires.

My questions are:

1)  Has anyone else experienced the same noise issues?

2)  Could it actually be the tires??

3)  If it is the tires, does anyone have a recommendation as to a "QUIET" tire replacement.  I know some tires produce more road noise.  I have the 215/18 tires.

thanks in advance

mike

hmmm, i have the same car with the 18 inches. I dont think ive heard anything yet...but u should prolly change the tires. I just changed mine at hte 30K tune up. The car came with goodyears, but i wouldnt recommend them due to the fast wear.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, all.

I have a similar problem and I need your advice.

Mine is a 2003 model.

Last week I had a 'Nail-in-tire' on my right front one. Yes, it was slightly worn out compared to the rear pair. They repaired it and put the front two to the rear and vice versa after 'balancing' all of them.

Problem is:

After the event, I hear kinda windmill or fan-like noise, especially from the rear. Constantly at the speed over 45 min/h.

I think it's from the 'unbalanced' tires. Am I right? Or do I have to change the tire? It's been only 16,000 mil!

Please let me know!

Thank you in advance.

JH