Exploding Battery

Took my wife's 96 LS to the Oil Change / Car wash Saturday - apparently after changing oil & checking fluids the mechanic tried to start car and right side of battery blew off (very loud) - they claim they did nothing wrong but while the guy is removing my destroyed battery he's smoking a cigarette!!! I mentioned perhaps this was not the brightest thing to do. Anyway, had to go drop $120.00 for a new battery and car is running fine. The battery was from LEXUS and out of warranty. Has anyone else had this happen? Very strange.

Steve

Rare but does happen. The battery shorts internally.  93 Cad I had "popped" and blew the covers off. Personally I think batteries are made a lot cheaper these days than they used to. They sure do not last like they used to.

I've seen this happen just a few times. Most of the time your overcharging through your charging system or you are jumping the car with a charger and an old battery. I dont think they could have done anything wrong to cause this. Wall Mart has a yellow battery that works fine in my car for $49. Its their 3 year battery. You have to go in there with the measurements and post positions. They dont list it for Lexus. Take a tape with you if anyone wants to try this.

Rare but does happen. The battery shorts internally.  93 Cad I had "popped" and blew the covers off. Personally I think batteries are made a lot cheaper these days than they used to. They sure do not last like they used to.

Cars, and electronics arent what they used to be either.

We talked about this over at RoadFly the other day. A guy had a question about the venting system for the battery and had a pic of an exploded one. The early 7's had the batteries under the seat and then they were moved to the trunk in 95. Kinda nice. Cleans up the under-hood area./ My car is gettin close to 76k on the OEM battery. Time for a change soon.

thanks

We talked about this over at RoadFly the other day. A guy had a question about the venting system for the battery and  had a pic of an exploded one. The early 7's had the batteries under the seat and then they were moved to the trunk in 95. Kinda nice. Cleans up the under-hood area./ My car is gettin close to 76k on the OEM battery. Time for a change soon.

thanks

The Wall Mart battery that fits an early LS is part number Maxx 1N This is a pretty strong battery. Its yellow and $49. $5 core charge.

Took my wife's 96 LS to the Oil Change / Car wash Saturday - apparently after changing oil & checking fluids the mechanic tried to start car and right side of battery blew off (very loud) - they claim they did nothing wrong but while the guy is removing my destroyed battery he's smoking a cigarette!!!  I mentioned perhaps this was not the brightest thing to do. Anyway, had to go drop $120.00 for a new battery and car is running fine. The battery was from LEXUS and out of warranty. Has anyone else had this happen?  Very strange.

Steve

Same thing happened to my SC 300 LEXUS battery. Replaced it with a battery from COSTCO.

I replace the battery in my LS with one from COSTCO. I measured the battery and took note of where the terminals were positioned and picked out one that fit. About $50. 850 CCA.