Just Bought Another Ls400 -- Timing Belt Question

Bordeaux

I just bought a 1994 LS400 with 80k miles. The car was a one owner trade in per the dealer and carfax. They seemed to stop using Lexus for service at about 60k with the 60k service. Here's the question -- I did not see any Lexus record of the timing belt / water pump etc. being replaced. However, the dealer (local Chrysler place that's been around for decades) called the owner who said that recently they did all of that work.

So basically -- I think I am stuck taking their word for it, right? Anyone have any easy way to check?

Also, funny thing happened with this. It was through this purchase that I learned that my other lexus ls400 (which I have owned for about 5 years) is not a 1994, but rather a 1993. When I looked at the engine compartment of the new car -- it was completely different from my other car. I thought that was kind of funny...

In any case, my original LS has been a tank. I am hoping for similar luck with this car. All appearances suggest it's in great shape -- but I'm a little leary on this timing belt thing...

Thanks in advance!

JH

you can take off one of the crankshaft pulley covers to get a look at part of the timing belt but i dont know if that will tell if its ne or not and theres no easy way to see the waterpump with out removing lots of parts which if you do you might as well put new ones on while your in there sorry maybe another member might know of a way

nobody does a timing belt /water pump at a dealer and doesnt remember doing it. Must customers will quote you the price 3 years after they had it done

What was represented to me was that the original buyer had it done -- but not at a dealer. I think this is one case where I am going to take their word for it.

Thx,

JH

Hi Bordeaux,

I would take a chance and drive it until you think it needs to be done, after all the 1st generation Ls400 are not interference engines, so the worst that can happen is that you get stranded somewhere.

I personally know a guy with a Intrepid (Chrysler) and he didn't know about timing belts, got over 180,000 miles before someone told him to get it replaced (that was with an interference engine!). Boy was he lucky! There wasn't much left of the old belt and he say the car runs better now.

Daffy

usually timing belt is not scheduled to be replaced till 90K hits. so, more than likely it's not done yet on the 94 w/80K you just purchased.

timing belt replacement is a giant ticket item ($1200~$1500 at dealer), anyone would have 'remembered' it was done or not!

no record found at dealer doesn't mean it has poor maintenance. to prevent price rip off, I never brought all my lex to the dealer to get regular maintenance done. instead, I had them done by trusty independent mech or shop, and I keep all receipts for all the works been done. so, no record from dealer is quite OK as long as seller can produce the prudent evidences of maintenance works at right interval.

usually timing belt is not scheduled to be replaced till 90K hits. so, more than likely it's not done yet on the 94 w/80K you just purchased.

timing belt replacement is a giant ticket item ($1200~$1500 at dealer), anyone would have 'remembered' it was done or not!

no record found at dealer doesn't mean it has poor maintenance. to prevent price rip off, I never brought all my lex to the dealer to get regular maintenance done. instead, I had them done by trusty independent mech or shop, and I keep all receipts for all the works been done. so, no record from dealer is quite OK as long as seller can produce the prudent evidences of maintenance works at right interval.

There should be a sticker on the intake indicatating the timing belt service.

I would try to contact orriginal owner.. I mean ask dealer if they can call orriginal owner and ask if you can call.. Cant hurt.....

I just purchased a LEXUS and the car has 93k.. The owner took it to LEXUS for every 5k checkup, but belt was not changed..

good luck

Note that in the Owner's manual, if you don't use the vehicle for "Taxi or Police" there is no requirement to change the timing belt at any particular mileage.

Routine inspections are all that are required. If the water pump or tensioner are giving problems, this is an obvious time to do the complete job.

Otherwise for normal driving, don't fix it if it's not broken.

Mick

you can take off one of the crankshaft pulley covers to get a look at part of the timing belt but i dont know if that will tell if its ne or not and theres no easy way to see the waterpump with out removing lots of parts which if you do you might as well put new ones on while your in there sorry maybe another member might know of a way

Since cranshaft pulley covers can be removed, I just wonder if it's possible to change the crankshaft oil seals (front and back ones) without going thru the whole process of a regular timing belt change. That way the labor charge would be minimal.

I had the timing belt changed at dealer a couple of years ago. After 70k miles, I got oil leak at the crankshaft and i's getting worse over time.

Thanks.

i doubt it because all you can see is the tops of the TB and you cant remove anything but maybe another member can give a more definite answer(highly unlikely is my opinion)

What kind of problems will indicate of water pump or tensioner or timing belt need to be replaced?

Note that in the Owner's manual, if you don't use the vehicle for "Taxi or Police" there is no requirement to change the timing belt at any particular mileage.

Routine inspections are all that are required.  If the water pump or tensioner are giving problems, this is an obvious time to do the complete job.

Otherwise for normal driving, don't fix it if it's not broken.

Mick

• 2 weeks later...