Oem Vs Aftermarket Parts

Ok, I went through every thread in this SC300/400/430 forum and could find no discussion on this. Attention Administrator.....The "pinned" Thread titled "For those interested in discounts direct from Lexus....", the key thread link doesn't work.

Everyone knows that factory parts from the Lexus parts counter is expensive as heck.

I also know that:

- Many times someone else makes those parts for Toyota/Lexus.

- Sometimes it's just plain better to go factory parts.

- Sometimes you can get the same parts from the manufacturer that also make them for Lexus for less.

-The best replacement is from one of these three sources.

So, trying to find some economic balance here I thought I'd put this question to the knowledge base out there.

Specificially, I need to replace my plugs, cap, and rotor. I always like to upgrade where I can and/or (like everyone else) save a few bucks if possible.

1. What is a aftermarket brand and best source for them that is considered an upgrade from Factory for these or any other parts this forum might want to discuss?

2. Does anyone know who makes these parts for Toyota/Lexus so I can perhaps cut out the middle man (read factory) mark up?

3. Is there a Lexus/Toyota factory parts supplier that gives good discounts to club members?

UPDATE: Surfed the net and found these guys. Parts discounted about 17% from dealer list price (see "Electronic parts catalog) AND free UPS shipping anywhere in the US.

http://store.yahoo.com/parkplacelexus/

Cheers to all that respond. :cheers:

When looking for parts it may be possible to mention membership of an enthusiast club - the United States Lexus Owners' Club, for examp;e - and ask if the vendor or sellor is willing to give a discount in exchange for positive feedback in a forum such as this. Perhaps some Lexus dealers would be interested in this type of feedback. That was the intention of the thread mentioning the discount. Not sure why that link is dead but I'll check it out.

Anytime aftermarket brands are considered, quality needs to be accounted for. Things like pcv valves are usaully pretty simple devices and aftermarket pieces are just fine. Always ask about a warranty on aftermarket items - like starters and the like.

There are ways to get around high cost parts. The distributor cap for example, may be sourced from toyota a little cheaper (who knows) - I haven't yet tried. But the 93 to 97 supra na has the same motor. NAPA or other car parts chains may be able to cross reference a suitable aftermarket piece. Call them and tell them what you are looking for with vehicle and engine info - ie 6 cylinder SC300. They probably can offer a cap, plugs and wires cheaper.

I don't know the manufacturers of those items off hand. Typical toyota suppliers are Nippon Denso, Sumitomo, NTK and millions more.

There is always the potential for a deal. I often check for used or off hand parts in classified forums and in salvage yards like www.taprecyling.com, or ebay.

That's all I've really got for now. Keep looking - let us know of any great deals or good sites. At 17% off, the site linked sounds pretty good. Let us know how it works out. I'll see what else we can dig up.

Good luck. Keep surfing.

if you all are really complaining about parts cost then you have the wrong car. if still want to keep some of the best cars in the world then find a way to make an account with lexus. you get 25% off. i have one! :P