Gs 300 Mark Levinson Sound Problem

I have a 2001 GS 300 with Mark Levinson Sounds and Navigation.

For the first time since I got it the Radio's/Cd's sound went completely out.No volume and you could not adjust the volume or the rear/front speakers or balance from left to right.The nav voice was still audible.I went through the entire screen and found nothing like a mute button or anything but it was almost as if the sound was muted.

I pulled over and turned the car off and the sound returned.

I am wondering if there is a problem with my radio or is it a hidden button or feature that I am missing?

There is a service bulletin on this issue. The repair involves replacing the amplifier with a rebuilt unit. You can check your VIN to see if your vehicle is affected by this bulletin. As well, you can check the revision code on the amplifier itself.

Mark_Levinson_Service_Bulletin.pdf

Mark_Levinson_Amplifier_Location.pdf

Mark_Levinson_Amplifier_Installation_Caution.pdf

• 2 years later...
There is a service bulletin on this issue. The repair involves replacing the amplifier with a rebuilt unit. You can check your VIN to see if your vehicle is affected by this bulletin. As well, you can check the revision code on the amplifier itself.

Hello,

I am having similar problems with my Lexus GS300 2001. My Levinson radio is frozen on one channel, I can only adjust the volume. In fact, all the buttons on the whole radio are frozen. Also it appears my rear speakers sound blown out. Do I just need to replace my whole radio??

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a 2001 GS430 and the Mark Levinson amp problem surfaced recently. I have the service bulletins and cannot determine whether other year GS amps or even other Models (LS430) amps can replace the original unit. Does anyone know which part numbers can or can't replace? I am finding used Levinson amps but they always seem to be different year or LS versions.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 01 GS300 w/ Mark Levison audio system/Navigation.

PROBLEM: front speakers are making a popping/static noise - whenever the car is started it last for 2-3 minutes. Thereafter either there is no sound at all for days at a time or the radio will play normally.

I have taken it to several audio dealers and left with false hope of it being repaired. Some of the feedback I received was that the problem in the speakers, radio and or amp. Based on the research I have done - I believe it is the amp.

The other problem I am faced with as of late is finding someone who will install an aftermarket amp. I recently had a tech tell me that if he did the repair it would affect the navigation system.

At this point I am wondering if I just need to find a comparable Lexus part and just replace it.

Does anyone who has had this problem know where I can get a replacement part?

I have a 01 GS300 w/ Mark Levison audio system/Navigation.

PROBLEM: front speakers are making a popping/static noise - whenever the car is started it last for 2-3 minutes. Thereafter either there is no sound at all for days at a time or the radio will play normally.

I have taken it to several audio dealers and left with false hope of it being repaired. Some of the feedback I received was that the problem in the speakers, radio and or amp. Based on the research I have done - I believe it is the amp.

The other problem I am faced with as of late is finding someone who will install an aftermarket amp. I recently had a tech tell me that if he did the repair it would affect the navigation system.

At this point I am wondering if I just need to find a comparable Lexus part and just replace it.

Does anyone who has had this problem know where I can get a replacement part?

try dcfish....he seems to be a reliable electrical guy to source electrical parts, i will know soon as im buying my new nav unit

ooh! Are you going to do a write up on that install? Nav retrofits seem to be a top-ten question for sure.

probably not....its really just plug and play on the nav ecu, but i might....who knows

• 5 months later...

So the symptoms on my 2004 GS430 Mark Levinson System are that the sound doesn't always come on when the car is started. At times the sound will come on after a few minutes. At times it doesn't come on at all. The sound from the Nav works fine and has always worked. The dealer states that the amp needs to be replaced since it may be a fan issue. I am not convinced that it is a fan issue since once the sound comes on, it never goes off. I am not about to drop $1000 on a new amp. When the sound is not working it appears that the Radio, CD player etc are still functioning based on the screen. The controls for the sound don't show up.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

So the symptoms on my 2004 GS430 Mark Levinson System are that the sound doesn't always come on when the car is started. At times the sound will come on after a few minutes. At times it doesn't come on at all. The sound from the Nav works fine and has always worked. The dealer states that the amp needs to be replaced since it may be a fan issue. I am not convinced that it is a fan issue since once the sound comes on, it never goes off. I am not about to drop $1000 on a new amp. When the sound is not working it appears that the Radio, CD player etc are still functioning based on the screen. The controls for the sound don't show up.

its the amp man...they had a recall for them years ago.

im fixing to sell mine though.

• 2 months later...

its the amp man...they had a recall for them years ago.

im fixing to sell mine though.

Anyone know costs, sources or how difficult to r & r the rebuilt or new amp?

• 2 years later...

The first guy who said he turned off the car and turned it on and it worked happened to me. I couldnt control anything and I had originally figured it was because the knob was loose. Even the ASL wouldnt show up. But that appeared after the car was restarted to. As for the recall I have a 2004 so does this apply to me?

Rena, Contact your Lexus Dealer and give them your vin # Ask them if there are any recalls/Bulletins that need to be addressed. Then and not before tell them what you experienced. Post the results and we will go from there.cool.gif Good Luck and Welcome to The Greatest Lexus Forum in The Universe cheers.gif